Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Booker Lab: LBB Breakout Box

Lately Ive been thinking my vintage Leslie Combo Preamp pedal is the source of a lot of noise and buzzy preamp distortion. (Nord Stage 3->preamp pedal->Leslie 147) Ive been shopping for an alternative.

I didnt see a used Trek II or Speakeasy Vintage preamp available. Vintage Vibe has a tube preamp pedal, but its $899. Thats ridonkidonk.

Today, Facebook magically gifted me with an advertisment link to the following product from Booker Lab: https://bookerlab.com/product/lbb-breakout-box/

Anyone have any knowledge of this company or product?

My Big Live Rig:

Nord Stage 3 Compact

StudioLogic SL88 Grand

The CAT by Octave

Hohner Melodica

Leslie 145

Silverface Bassman 70 -> Custom 2x10 cabinet

2 - QSC K8.2

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one and it sounds great. Disclaimer time: Im handling the MIDI implementation for several BookerLab products. There is some cool stuff in the pipeline. Hopefully Tom will weigh in as Im not sure how much I can talk about yet.

I hadnt considered repair.

Its been noisy for all the 15 years Ive had it, and Im not crazy about how buzzy it sounds when I push it into distortion. I read some opinions online that said both of those things were just the nature of the early transistor preamp design in the pedal. It made sense to me, so I started searching for cleaner, quieter options that would allow me to push the power tubes a bit and get rid of the some of the hiss.

Are there repairs or mods that could accomplish this?

My Big Live Rig:

Nord Stage 3 Compact

StudioLogic SL88 Grand

The CAT by Octave

Hohner Melodica

Leslie 145

2 - QSC K8.2

Well, you don't want to push the combo preamp into distortion. You want to push the leslie tube amp into distortion, so check your gain staging.

FWIW, mine doesn't hum or buzz, but it does have some hiss. Not obnoxious levels though...

Moe

---

Well, you don't want to push the combo preamp into distortion. You want to push the leslie tube amp into distortion, so check your gain staging.

FWIW, mine doesn't hum or buzz, but it does have some hiss. Not obnoxious levels though...

I dont know that my preamp pedal has enough juice to push my 147 amp into distortion. I have the volume on the Leslie amp all the way up, and I then bring up my preamp gain. I believe the only distortion Im getting is from the preamp. Perhaps theres something wrong with it after all?

My Big Live Rig:

Nord Stage 3 Compact

StudioLogic SL88 Grand

The CAT by Octave

Hohner Melodica

Leslie 145

2 - QSC K8.2

Your CPA should be able to totally punish a 147.

I have an LBB also, and am working with BookerLab. If you want to know anything, ask. BTW it sounds GREAT.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800