Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio Privia PX-S1000 ($600) and S3000 ($800)

My favorite amp sim for a clean tone Rhodes in my PX-S3000...

I am realizing the various amp sims have the nicest influence on the S3000s clean tone Rhodes. Just like Mike Martin mentioned months ago.

I selected DSP 027 Re-Amp 1, and the chose the Fender Twin Reverb 3, listed as FD-TWRV3. I like it a lot when I apply it to EP 1 for a clean tone Rhodes. It brings out the single note clack sound a clean tone Herbie Rhodes can get. And the Fender Twin Reverb 3 amp has good clarity and balance. Its my go to Rhodes now.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Im editing a jazz organ on my PX-S3000.

The Tone I have selected us the GM Organ 2. It has the best B3 Percussion samples in my opinion.

Ill need the 2 knobs to be Filter and Resonance to act as sort of psuedo drawbars. I am not a fan of the Rotary and won't be using it.

Now, the DSP that has most of the what I need is:

"DSP Drive Amp 2" which consists of the following 4 Modules:

1. Drive (20 types)

2. Tone Ctrl (3 band EQ)

3. Amp Cab (92 types)

4. Tremolo (fully editable)

But, I also need some Chorus found in Function Parameter 9. I need a good edit to immitate the legendary Hammond C3 Chorus-Vibrato sound. I can post my actual settings if folks need them.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

The Tone I have selected us the GM Organ 2. It has the best B3 Percussion samples in my opinion.

When playing a sampled organ that doesn't support single trigger percussion, I tend to avoid any of the samples that have percussion on them, thy always sound fake. Unless you're only playing non-continuous single-note lines (and your other hand is playing either nothing or another sound entirely on the other side of a split).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yes, I always have it split with a different Tone, namely Organ Bass. Same setup i use on my Mojo 61

Is it true that when I connect to external speakers, the only way to turn off the built-in speakers is to put a dummy plug in the headphone jack? Isn't there a function to turn off built-in speakers when connecting to external speakers? I want to gig my 3000 and connect to my 2 QSC K8's and control the volume to them with my pedal. But this also changes the volume of the built-in speakers. I want to turn them off. It appears that the only way to turn off the built-in speakers is to put a dummy plug in the headphone jack. This seems a basic design flaw. Or am I missing something?
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

This seems a basic design flaw. Or am I missing something?
It's not a design "flaw." Lots of Casio models including the Privia line worked this way for years. It's a different design philosophy than you're expecting because of most of the target audience.

For the record, I would like to be able to mute the internal speakers via a menu option myself. It will be interesting to see if and when a PX-5S replacement (Privia Pro) ships based on this design a) will it have internal speakers 2) will they be separately mutable.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

For the record, I would like to be able to mute the internal speakers via a menu option myself.
Eggzackly. There is a menu function to mute or unmute the internal speakers when using headphones. There is no menu function to mute or unmute the internal speakers when connecting to external speakers. This missing menu function is your "different design philosophy" and my "design flaw."

Edit: it means I always have to have a dummy mini-plug in order to gig my 3000. Not a terrible burden, but an annoyance.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Why do you want to mute the internal speakers when connecting external ones? On these designs, I like the physical vibrations from the speakers to the keys, it helps make it feel more real.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Why do you want to mute the internal speakers when connecting external ones?
See previous post. I want to control volume of external speakers without changing volume of internal ones. For instance, if I push the volume pedal to the metal to get a very loud organ sound for a brief moment, I don't want the internal speakers to also go to the max. I'd like to have the menu option of turning off the internal speakers when I'm going out to my K8's.

Not a deal-breaker. Just seems like an obvious menu option to have because there's a menu option to turn off internal speakers when using headphones.

Well Jazz , I took your advice using the normal button on the first jazz rhthym and it is a lot easier to stay in time like that , not perfect but I do not think its bad and I have been practicing with a metronome but not on this song , Have You Met Miss Jones .

For those that own/use the s1000 and s3000: How sturdy is the right angle power supply unit, when plugged into the piano, is it connected securely?

Its exactly like the one on the PX5S I've gigged with for 6 years and never had a problem.

To be assured of no problems, the cord from the wall wart is long enough to be wrapped around a leg on your keyboard stand and then plugged in, securing it.

I finally played the S-1000 today. I have to say i was very impressed with the action. What i liked most about it is the dynamics, the keys "melt" further down when hitting those ff notes, it almost felt like it has escapement.

I have some reservations about the texture of the keys though, i found it a little extreme but i think it's something i get used to. I also wish the "Stage piano" preset was included in the S-1000 as i heard great things about that preset. Either way, if i buy it, it will end up controlling my sample libraries anyway (Keyscape, Ravenscroft etc...).

So far, my favorite actions after a week of testing digital pianos are: S-1000, Dexibell S9 and FP-90.

• 2 weeks later...

My S3000 arrived yesterday. No time to seriously dig into into yet but I plan on posting a review of it in the coming week. I plan on using it as a controller in the studio as well as in live scenarios for rehearsals but also looking at using it as a controller for my iPad Pro running various synth apps.

Just plugged the S3000 into Pianoteq and the action is great. Plenty of firmness but not tiring. I had a PX5s and enjoyed the action on that but the keyed has a tendency to move from side to side a little, not so the S3000. Anyway action is lovely, and the very brief exploration of the piano and some other sounds are very good.

I'll post a proper review once I get some extended time with the board. Or if anyone has any specific query feel free to ask or pm me.

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

Ive had the PX-S3000 for a few weeks now. Its working great as a midi controller. My needs are not demanding. So far Ive been just mapping AP, EP, and B3. The two knobs are very useful. Knob 1 is mapped for patch volume and Knob 2 maps to whatever I decide is most important for each patch (e.g., low mid EQ gain for AP). Patch buttons are mapped to whichever software instruments I want. Sustain and expression pedals map easily. So far, its all working great and is a blast to play.

The manual is kind of cryptic, but so far Ive been able to find everything I need.

I wish there was a way to silence the internal speakers other than plugging in headphones. Seems like a miss to me in an otherwise well thought out keyboard.

Im finding a signal connected to the Audio In sounds good through the PX-S3000 internal speakers but not so good from the PX-S3000 1/4 outputs. Has anyone else noticed this? I use the Audio In on the CP4 to connect a second keyboard or laptop without the need for a mixer. Unfortunately, I dont think Ill be able to do the same with the PX-S3000.

Id like to also use the PX-S3000 as a vacation/car travel keyboard. This would be a nice step up from the Yamaha NP-11 I currently use. The PX-S3000 fits across the floor in front of the backseat of my car with very little room to spare. Im hoping that it will also fit when in its case (which I dont have yet). B&H shows the case width to be 52.7 which would just fit. Can someone with a carry case verify that this dimension is correct?

As a quiet practice DP the PX-S3000 is excellent. Its fun to play through the internal speakers, battery operation is useful at times, and the keys make very little noise when played.

Al , you can turn the speakers off from inside the computer , can't remember where , might be the keyboard section or effects section , it somewhere around there , I have a little trouble finding things but I managed to find out how to turn up the on board drum machine which helps me here it better when playing .

Knob 2 ..(e.g., low mid EQ gain for AP). .

I couldn't find a low mid EQ for Knob 2; Which Knob setting did you select to get that? Is it in conjunction with a specific DSP?

I am using:

Brilliance/Reverb for AP

Chorus/Reverb for Rhodes

Filter/Res for Organ

Speaking of Organ, what other knob settings would be appropriate? I think a combination of filter and rotary control would be good, but I dont think that combination is available, is Rotary even controllable from a knob setting?

Speaking of Organ, what other knob settings would be appropriate? I think a combination of filter and rotary control would be good, but I dont think that combination is available, is Rotary even controllable from a knob setting?

Yes - if knobs are set to FX control they default to speed control when a Rotary effect is used.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

There's control Knob combination settings from 1-14. I'm using DSP 054 Drive/Rotary/EQ which sound great, I like the Rotary setting on this DSP.

I see it now, it's Knob setting 14 :DSP Parameters

I couldn't find a low mid EQ for Knob 2; Which Knob setting did you select to get that? Is it in conjunction with a specific DSP?

I was speaking about using the PX-S3000 as a midi controller. I mapped Knob 2 to the gain on the Low Mid frequency using an EQ provided in Gig Performer to control the Low Mid's on Keyscape's C7 AP and the Scarbee Rhodes. I haven't tried to do this using the PX-3000 DSP for the internal sounds.

I sold my Yamaha FP4 and Space Station to purchase the PXS3000. Today I picked it up, unfortunately the case and 3x Pedal were not in yet. I think the sound is summed up nicely listening to the internal demos. It's great to hear a different company's samples. ****(Question for Mike Martin. Why isn't the electric piano used on demo 3 the first preset for the electric piano sounds? I need to recreate that sound!)**** Glad I sold FP4, this piano is great. I owned a Privia PX320 10 years ago but sold months later (didn't like action, thought sounds were OK.) This S3000 shows great progress. The action IMO is great. I don't see any issues with the pivot point. Wasn't sure how I'd like the ebony/ivory feel of keyboard but it's a real improvement. I need to get the half damper pedal to determine if the sustain can be messed with. All this for such short money is a monumental accomplishment for Casio. This piano goes with my original calculator watch I still wear occasionally.

This keyboard came out just as I decided to get a keyboard with build-in speakers and was light. At 62, I'm done with schlepping. I actually did a nation-wide search for a FP4. (I sold it cause I wanted a DP with better Rhodes sound. I did like pre-SN acoustic pianos Roland had.) I liked the Space Station but decided it wasn't that great for acoustic piano and usually need more low end. Buying a sub-woofer would of defeated the stereo in one amp premise. I use the GK keyboard amps from 30+ years ago. I like 12" speakers for piano, plus they're build like tanks.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

The best clean tone Rhodes is EP1 but only AFTER you turn OFF its Phaser/Tremolo DSP and save it to a user Registration.

My favorite amp sim is the DSP 027 Re-Amp 1.

I like the Fender Twin Reverb 3 amp, listed as FD-TWRV3. It brings out the single note clack sound a clean tone Herbie Rhodes can get. It also does some compression and has EQ. Its my go to Rhodes now. I turn the DSP on when I want some kick and OFF when I want it to be mellow.

I assign Chorus and Reverb to the Knobs. I dig Room 2 Reverb. Hall 1 is too much for me on both Rhodes and Piano.

Some new Rhodes and Clavinet tones (saved as registrations) over on CasioMusicForums to download.

https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/category/61-px-s3000/

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I've uploaded my edited Clean Tone Rhodes and two Jazz Organs to the Casio Users Forum:

About This PX-S3000 Registration File:

1. Clean Tone Rhodes in Twin Reverb Amp (Knobs control Chorus/Reverb levels)

2. Clean Tone Rhodes Direct (Knobs control Chorus/Reverb levels)

3. Slow Rotary Jazz Organ (Knobs control Filter/Res levels) SPLIT with Organ Bass

4. No Rotary Jazz Organ (Knobs control Filter/Res levels) SPLIT with Organ Bass

Note: Knobs that control the Filter/Res levels act as pseudo organ drawbars.

Clean Rhodes + Jazz Organs for PX-S3000 by Jazz+