Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Dr John

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a cursory listen to those two albums some dumb-ass might say "OK he's playing lots'a blues scales..." but you wouldn't want to change one note of any lick because just like Monk every note is beautifully chosen.

Especially on the slower balad numbers - I love how you think the song has finished then he throws you with another flourish or desending chord patern.

My favourite album is City Lights from 1978, its a real autobiographic maserpiece.Just realised why the arangements are so good - he gave the job to Claus Olgerman! Even got Richard Tee as second keys.

Hope someone digs the vaults for some more solo stuff.

In the early 90's I was really getting into New Orleans piano. I had the homespun tape series, I bought some of his albums along with listening to Taj Mahal and the Neville Brothers. I think Dr. John kind of was a master of that style and synthesized different New Orleans piano styles into one. He really knew that stuff after going into "cutting" contests with other piano players where they'd try to out do each other on stage.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I think Dr. John kind of was a master of that style and synthesized different New Orleans piano styles into one.

I remember seeing him give a mini clinic in the late '60s or early '70s on TV where he'd play a short excerpt of a tune, then repeat it saying 'and this is barrel house, 'this is honky-tonk', this is 'new Orleans style' etc. just an amazing musician.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Yeah he was good at doing that or telling you on how different piano players would play the same song.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

So Sad to hear this morning.... my friend fished with him often as they were both in the same D&A support group on the east end of Long Island in recent years... Mac had/has a residence in Amagansett, my friend is a bass player and soundman and in his early 70's and an ex army brat.... the number # rule on the boat was....no music discussion....it's time for fishing now ...and the good Doctor could get snarly bout that rule if broached he said..

I loved Mac as did many... up there with Satchmo as far as I'm concerned...RIP Mac! Saw him at least 3 times live in my life thankfully! He was one of the greats...truly and kept the NO tradition alive...not many left to do that anymore ...

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Not unexpected, but so sad. Mac was a giant to all of us, the guy who showed us how it was done. His influence on my playing is huge. I was fortunate enough to share the stage with him a handful of times over the years, and it was always a thrill.

My favorite Mac story was a time I ran into him unexpectedly at a restaurant. I walked into the place, and seated at the bar was a group of women I had met at my cover band gig the night before; they were in town for a bachelorette party. And standing there talking to them was Mac. The ladies spotted me and waved me over, and when I walked up, Mac pointed at me and said to the bride, "Oh, is dis da lucky guy?" They all laughed, and one of them said, "No, he's a piano player! We saw him last night. Oh my god, you have to see him, he's like, the best piano player in New Orleans!"

To Dr. John. About *me.*

At that moment I could feel the blood drain from my face, and I started very quickly saying, "NOOO, no, that's not true, REALLY...", wishing the ground would just open up and swallow me whole to end the awkwardness as they went on. Finally, with all the grace and subtlety of a wrecking ball, I changed the subject by asking Mac, "So what brings you in here? Business or pleasure?" He said he was playing a private gig in the back, and had to get to it, so he said his goodbyes. And as he was walking away, one of the girls said to me, "Oh, you know that guy? Is he a musician too or something?"

So I had to explain to them, "That guy REALLY IS the best piano player in New Orleans! He's pretty much who I want to be when I grow up!"

What makes this especially tough is that with all the other greats we've lost in recent years, Mac really was the last of the old guard. I look forward to the tributes and rare recordings that will undoubtedly start showing up.

Very nice, Josh.

I have a regular solo piano thing (no vox) Monday nights, so yesterday started to think about how I could tribute the Dr., and that song came to mind. Not many folks in San Francisco will be deep into his work, but some might recognize Such a Night from the Last Waltz. I'm no Josh Paxton, but hopefully I can give it just enough New Orleans flavor to make the point.

The most recognizable tune might be Right Place, but that's less of a natural fit for a solo piano rendering.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Must be all those baby boomers over on the BBC but his passing has been noted on all the radio news broadcasts today.

Even had Jules Holland playing an ad-hock piano piece live over the airwaves on his smartphone.The piece was Desire (??? - whatever was the name of the Doc's mother)

Sounded quite authentic too.

Been listening to a lot of Dr. John tonight. A friend just turned me on to the song "Dorothy". Beautiful. I would like to play this. Does anybody know if there is a good transcription of this available?

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

I've been playing Dorothy for years. Not aware of any transcription, not a hard song to pick up by ear, lots of gospel-based harmonic movement.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Been listening to a lot of Dr. John tonight. A friend just turned me on to the song "Dorothy". Beautiful. I would like to play this. Does anybody know if there is a good transcription of this available?

I'm sure there's some YouTube or whatever, but it's off his first solo piano album.

It's in C, and it's got that inverted chords in minor tenths walking down, and the bridge is in Am, so you just set it up with the V7 of the VIm.

The chords and the melody aren't hard to pick up off the record. Just listen to the bass line and think tenths, and that's the only "trick" there is.

Granted, it's a really good trick, but it's a nice tool to have for other tunes when you want a big piano sound, and a solid descending bassline. I think it probably is from the real early days of stride piano, just get the motion in the LH and not worry about anything.

What I liked about the Doctor was that he really made it sink in to me as a young teenager that you got to play in all the keys.

And he had some moves and voicings in minor keys that I still keep in my ear today.

Well, I'm probably not the only one to do so recently, but you bet your ass I took the two minutes and did a little minor-key Saints and then took about a few seconds to do it back in the major.

Can't remember what key I did it in, because it was just me at home, but you're right it would have been in a key the Doctor would have liked. D or Ab. One of those. All the same.

...A friend just turned me on to the song "Dorothy". Beautiful. I would like to play this. Does anybody know if there is a good transcription of this available?

I pretty sure there actually is a transcription somewhere in that three-booklet Hal Leonard series, "Dr. John Teaches New Orleans Piano," but if memory serves it has a different title -- "Song for Mother" or something like that.

Edit -- Confirmed. I just checked, and it's near the beginning of Volume 3 of that set.

Great tribute, Josh! Such a Night is the only Dr John song I get requests for at my piano gigs, I never was enthused about playing it without vocals but you showed me it can work beautifully. Really enjoyed the Big Mac excerpt, too (had high expectations,as I have bought 2 of your books). I'm in Jackson MS, hoping one day you will do a show here. :)

Someone recently gave me a transcription of "Dorothy" that they had done. It was good. I'll see if I can dig it up. I think I remember hearing that the tune was based on a Gottschalk piece.

What I liked about the Doctor was that he really made it sink in to me as a young teenager that you got to play in all the keys.

Yup. One of my favorite obscure recordings of his is a solo piano version of "Blue Monk" he did for a multi-artist Monk tribute record in the '80s, called "That's The Way I Feel Now." I always thought it was odd that he played it in F instead of the original Bb, but you know, it's Mac, so whatever. Then I heard from someone who had worked on that album that he sent them twelve different versions of the tune, each in a different key and a different style, and told them to pick whichever one they liked best. Sadly the masters were lost in a fire, but man, what a study that would have been.

In fact I think I've just decided on my new stock answer for whenever the transpose button debate comes up again...

u1wvrRS.jpg