Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are you a bad influence?

Or more gently put, an inspiration?

Our 80s classic rock band was looking for a new drummer. We had someone fill in at a gig, and after the show he wanted to join the band. Reason? Not only did he like the music, he was blown away by my keyboard work. And he is driving 90 miles each way to work with us.

I'm a bad influence.

Got thinking about the trail of devastation I left over the past 40 years :cool: I first realized this in high school - as a piano player that I had inspired other students to take up piano. That still happened along the years. The most recent is our jazz drummer took up piano, and I just sold my digital piano to our jazz trumpet player as he is retiring from work and wants to learn to play. I often got requests to teach piano or synthesizers. I'm just too busy to give lessons but it's certainly a nice gesture.

Any other bad influences here?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess Ive led a few people down the path of music. My high school had a Hammond C2 and PR40 on dollies, and my vice principal always pulled me out of class to entertain at assemblies, in case they ran short on presentation time. I even got a whole period 2 weeks before graduation by myself. Went to teachers college and taught for 3 years, then got riffed. Turned my back on teaching for 20 years, but came back in 1996 and stuck it out for 21 more years. In that time Im sure I influenced a few students to consider music as a career path, but I know of two that did come through. My first year back I mentored a special needs student on piano, and he did well enough that he was placed in our gifted and talented program. I lost touch with him, but found out recently he went on to teachers college in Florida and became a music teacher.

Two years ago I bought a bass guitar for a needy student. Last month I was browsing our board of education on line meeting minutes and I saw a picture of her with her bass and the two other girls in the trio I started entertaining the board members. Great feeling.

Its tough to gauge how we influence others, but at least I hit a few home runs in my career.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Yes. I don't like to talk about it but I too am a god among mere mortals. Lesser players sense the sheer power of my musical statements and are inexorably drawn to my presence. Sometimes, however, I must admit that wearing this mantle can be more of a burden than I care to bear, but we do not get to select our fates....nah....just kidding. More often than not I'm the reason people DON'T want to play in the band, but as long as they're payin' me...... ;-)

Yes. I don't like to talk about it but I too am a god among mere mortals. Lesser players sense the sheer power of my musical statements and are inexorably drawn to my presence. Sometimes, however, I must admit that wearing this mantle can be more of a burden than I care to bear, but we do not get to select our fates....n..... ;-)

I was going to say I might be the most impressive creature on the planet. For example, just this morning, I played the C scale perfectly. Both hands !

But I don't believe ego should get in the way of greatness ;)

And bragging, well, I am not much for bragging on the Internets :D

Others are better, especially on Facebook or dating sites, etc

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Are you a 2 and a 1/2 charlie sheen

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Yes. I don't like to talk about it but I too am a god among mere mortals. Lesser players sense the sheer power of my musical statements and are inexorably drawn to my presence. Sometimes, however, I must admit that wearing this mantle can be more of a burden than I care to bear, but we do not get to select our fates....n..... ;-)

I was going to say I might be the most impressive creature on the planet. For example, just this morning, I played the C scale perfectly. Both hands !

I see what you did there :laugh: BOTH hands? At the same time?? REEEEEEEEALY............

I see what you did there :laugh: BOTH hands? At the same time?? REEEEEEEEALY............

I know, I know. Just playing awesomeness . And I have HUGE plans.

the F# scale, look out.

[70's Songwriter]

Any other bad influences here?

Ive wrestled with arpeggiators.

Ive tussled with scales.

I done handcuffed a Triton, and throw Quantum in jail.

You know Im bad.

Just last week, I murdered some rock, injured some Stones, hospitalised a lick.

Im so mean, I make Zeppelin sick.* **

* The author makes no representation as to the truthfulness of the above

** With apologies to Muhammad Ali

I can only speak for myself, but I am very talented, scary genius level stuff. And I'm super good looking, physically fit. I'm amazingly creative, I can sight read and play by ear, I sing incredibly well, very soulful, 5 octave range. Oh yes, almost forgot, I'm very rich, extremely lucky and I have a huge big dictionary. The cool thing is on top of all this I'm very friendly, easy to get along with and I'm very humble. So in a reposting kinda way, I'm a positively bad influence.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I can only speak for myself, but I am very talented, scary genius level stuff. And I'm super good looking, physically fit. I'm amazingly creative, I can sight read and play by ear, I sing incredibly well, very soulful, 5 octave range. Oh yes, almost forgot, I'm very rich, extremely lucky and I have a huge big dictionary. The cool thing is on top of all this I'm very friendly, easy to get along with and I'm very humble. So in a reposting kinda way, I'm a positively bad influence.

thats about 80% of the folks here.

you forgot to mention your boat. That elevates you from the 80 per centers

[70's Songwriter]

What, no Gulfstream,

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I once sold Lyle Mays' sister a Matrix 6. Does that count?

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!