Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What synth should I get, open and broad discussion.

Hi Everyone;

I am hunting for a new synth.

I mainly play Progressive Metal, but I dabble in a lot of music genres.

I have a budget of $2000 for this project. I am hoping for semi-weighted (not hammer action), prefer polyphonic and a mod/pitch wheels.

I currently have Reason 10, Analog Lab, Grand Piano Model D and Piano V software, also covered for piano, this is purely a synth, and I do not need instrument reproduction but ok if that is a feature.

Question: Does having 88 keys truly matter for synths? Additionally, what would be considered optimal?

Hunting around on my local music stores website, I am potentially looking at:

Moog Grandmother;

Yamaha MODX7 (price seems too good);

Roland Juno-DS 88;

Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 (looks amazing);

Korg Prologue 8 (will 49 keys feel limiting?);

Nord Lead A1 (I guess I do not need my kidney).

What would you do with your $2000?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would buy a "B-stock" Kurzweil Forte, (Not the Forte SE!) they show up on eBay frequently for $2K.

This is the ultimate MIDI-controller, the ultimate hardware sample player, and an endlessly expressive and complex synth capable of world-class VA, and soon DX-7 compatible FM.

You will never run out of things to explore and learn on this instrument.

I'd recommend a used 73-key Korg Kronos. More user-friendly than many keyboards of this type.

You'll have much more fun with it versus a basic synth... at least in my opinion. I prefer hardware over software. :laugh:

korg_kronos_x73_b_600.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Does having 88 keys truly matter for synths?

Not so much. 88 keys is primarily used for piano or for splits (being able to play different sounds with each hand or quickly jump to different sounds for different parts of a song, while still having a good amount of room for each sound without running out of keys).

Additionally, what would be considered optimal?

At least for monophonic/one-handed parts, 49 is usually plenty, and lots of people are fine with 37. There are always exceptions. Keith Emerson's lead at the end of Lucky Man was played on a 5 octave board, and if you want to do those portamento sweeps between notes that far apart, you'll need that many keys. Though you can also MIDI-attach whatever you get to any other board you may have which can be another way of getting more keys when needed.

Of the boards you mentioned, Juno-DS is not a "real synth" in the classic sense, though it has synth functions you can apply to its samples. MODX is a hybrid of sample-based and FM synthesis, which is a whole different animal from the VA or analog synthesis of the other boards you mentioned, and the latter is probably what you want as it is what is least well duplicatable in software and what most benefits from direct hands-on knobby controls.

With a $2k budget, I like the Roland JD-XA, which gives you plenty of knobiness and 4 voices of true analog, plus a full VA synth for additional textures or when you need more polyphony. It also has aftertouch, which I think is particularly valuable in a synth. For a whole different approach, the forthcoming Moog Matriarch looks cool.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'd recommend a used 73-key Korg Kronos. More user-friendly than many keyboards of this type.

You'll have much more fun with it versus a basic synth... at least in my opinion. I prefer hardware over software. :laugh:

korg_kronos_x73_b_600.jpg

I found a user Korg KROME 61-Key Music Workstation. Would you recommend it?

Krome isn't going to have the various VA synth engines to distinct/modify/control sounds. To my knowledge, it's just a scaled down version with sample based versions of the sounds. Kronos has engines that model the PolySix, MS-20 (complete with virtual patch cords), and a fairly powerful AL-1 VA engine, not to mention the other 6 engines for AP, EP, strings, FM, sampling, and clonewheel.

That said, Kronos may be overkill in that it is a workstation. It's VA engines are powerful, but you may want something scaled down that ONLY does VA without all of the other stuff to confuse you. Lots of good stuff from DSI, Access Virus, Maxibrute, etc

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Same issue as what I said about the Roland DS. You care about synth functions, not instrument duplication, so I'd avoid romplers. Not that you can't do synthy things with them, but I think it's better to get a board that's best at exactly what it is you need to do, as opposed to a jack-of-all-trades that's second or third rate at what you most care about.

Similarly, I wouldn't suggest the Forte and Kronos that have been mentioned. While unlike the Juno DS and Krome they at least do have VA synthesis in them, you're compromising on the synth (no dedicated knobiness or true analog) in order to get a whole lot of stuff you don't care about, at least based on your OP. If all you're looking for is VA without a dedicated control surface, you might as well stick with software like the rest of your rig. I mean, I understand Synthoid's perspective of preferring hardware, but in your case, you've already made the decision to mostly use software, so if you're going to be adding hardware, you should probably focus on what hardware does best, i.e. where hardware has clear advantages over the software approach you're already using.

If you want something lower priced than my earlier suggestions, I'd look at Behringer DeepMind 12, Korg Prologue 49, Studiologic Sledge, all under $1k. I stuck with stuff that had at least 49 keys, but if you decide you don't need that (maybe you have another 49+ keyboard you can connect it to if/when needed), then there are also other good low-priced options.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I wouldn't suggest the Forte and Kronos that have been mentioned. While unlike the Juno DS and Krome they at least do have VA synthesis in them, you're compromising on the synth (no dedicated knobiness or true analog) in order to get a whole lot of stuff you don't care about

I suggested the Kronos because the OP said this:

I'm assuming that means he plays in one or more bands. The Kronos would offer a plethora of sounds and feature options--including the ability to program various riffs and sequences--which come in handy in a live situation. I compose a lot of original music and having a keyboard that "does something" with sounds is extremely valuable.

:keys2:

Krome isn't going to have the various VA synth engines to distinct/modify/control sounds. To my knowledge, it's just a scaled down version with sample based versions of the sounds. Kronos has engines that model the PolySix, MS-20 (complete with virtual patch cords), and a fairly powerful AL-1 VA engine, not to mention the other 6 engines for AP, EP, strings, FM, sampling, and clonewheel.

That said, Kronos may be overkill in that it is a workstation. It's VA engines are powerful, but you may want something scaled down that ONLY does VA without all of the other stuff to confuse you. Lots of good stuff from DSI, Access Virus, Maxibrute, etc

Same issue as what I said about the Roland DS. You care about synth functions, not instrument duplication, so I'd avoid romplers. Not that you can't do synthy things with them, but I think it's better to get a board that's best at exactly what it is you need to do, as opposed to a jack-of-all-trades that's second or third rate at what you most care about.

Similarly, I wouldn't suggest the Forte and Kronos that have been mentioned. While unlike the Juno DS and Krome they at least do have VA synthesis in them, you're compromising on the synth (no dedicated knobiness or true analog) in order to get a whole lot of stuff you don't care about, at least based on your OP. If all you're looking for is VA without a dedicated control surface, you might as well stick with software like the rest of your rig. I mean, I understand Synthoid's perspective of preferring hardware, but in your case, you've already made the decision to mostly use software, so if you're going to be adding hardware, you should probably focus on what hardware does best, i.e. where hardware has clear advantages over the software approach you're already using.

If you want something lower priced than my earlier suggestions, I'd look at Behringer DeepMind 12, Korg Prologue 49, Studiologic Sledge, all under $1k. I stuck with stuff that had at least 49 keys, but if you decide you don't need that (maybe you have another 49+ keyboard you can connect it to if/when needed), then there are also other good low-priced options.

I wouldn't suggest the Forte and Kronos that have been mentioned. While unlike the Juno DS and Krome they at least do have VA synthesis in them, you're compromising on the synth (no dedicated knobiness or true analog) in order to get a whole lot of stuff you don't care about

I suggested the Kronos because the OP said this:

I'm assuming that means he plays in one or more bands. The Kronos would offer a plethora of sounds and feature options--including the ability to program various riffs and sequences--which come in handy in a live situation. I compose a lot of original music and having a keyboard that "does something" with sounds is extremely valuable.

:keys2:

My bad, I got excited. I found an ad for a Krome which I mistaked for the Kronos. I don't think Kronos often come down to my budget even used :(

I don't think Kronos often come down to my budget even used :(

I've seen the Kronos 73-key used for $2000. Some are a bit more, but there is always room for negotiation with used instruments.

Upcoming Novation Summit would be perfect (if you can wait till Sept.) 16 voices, analog filters and VCA, two LFOs, aftertouch, arpeggiator, FM, subtractive and wavetable synthesis. 61 keys on a quality keybed. Knobs for everything.....what not to like about this one??? Oh, and it's $1995. Right up the OP's alley, methinks.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Lots of good suggestions here.

If the OP hadn't mentioned being interested in various musical genres I wouldn't have brought up the Forte. If you want to try adding symphonic elements to your Progressive Metal, or want to try film scoring, or would like a world-class Grand Piano sample the Forte will get you there. You also can't beat Kurzweil's flexibility and power with assigning its ample sliders and pedals to control the software instruments you've already got.

If you just want powerful analog/virtual analog with plenty of knobs the Novation Summit is a strong contender.

I'm assuming that means he plays in one or more bands.

good question... I wasn't assuming this is necessarily for live performance. If it is, I'd be less inclined to look at the patchable Moogs on the basis of having no recallable presets.

Either way, it sounds like he's committed to (or at least comfortable with) computer for most of his sounds, so the focus would really seem to be on what it is a real synth can do better than a VST can.

Similarly...

If you want to try adding symphonic elements to your Progressive Metal, or want to try film scoring, or would like a world-class Grand Piano sample the Forte will get you there

...also all well handled by VSTs. Hence my focus on (mostly) analog and knobs, the non-VST strengths even for VST folk.

If you just want powerful analog/virtual analog with plenty of knobs the Novation Summit is a strong contender.

It would if it were available. Anyone know when this ships?

If he's using VST's and if he is happy with his current controller a Peak or other Desktop synth would work. I agree with Scott, if he's using VST's I would look for a good Analog Synth capable of some ballsy lead sounds. It is Progressive Metal so an in your face sound might be appropriate here.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

. I am hoping for semi-weighted (not hammer action)...

How about a Kronos LS?

With mod wheels, youre pretty much limited to Yamaha and Kurzweil. I prefer them too, but as AnotherScott helpfully pointed out when I was searching for another board, most keyboards will let you assign an expression pedal to the mod wheel function, so if its a joystick then it doesnt matter.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Novation Summit

She's a beauty:

Novation-Summit-angle-700x433.png

I'm on board with this new Novation synth. Its actually two 8 voice synths in one KB package so you can do splits, layers, a 5 octave KB. No touch screen to BREAK DOWN, it has knobs per function instead of menu diving. Great for live performance. FAT sounds. 3 Osc per voice, an awesome analog filter, 70 Wavetable sounds, and FM. One complete package.

Novation is making high quality synths and has excellent customer service and support. At $1999.00 its a bargain.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I've seen the Kronos 73-key used for $2000. Some are a bit more, but there is always room for negotiation with used instruments.

Owning a Korg Kronos would be a dream come true. I am a huge Jordan Rudess fan. While I want to carve my path in terms of my sound, I would love to have access to the same equipment. I have been hunting around for Korg Kronos for probably about 2-months now without finding anything in my immediate price range. I have put the dream on hold to get something a little more for the here-and-now, and I will save for the Kronos over time.

Upcoming Novation Summit would be perfect (if you can wait till Sept.) 16 voices, analog filters and VCA, two LFOs, aftertouch, arpeggiator, FM, subtractive and wavetable synthesis. 61 keys on a quality keybed. Knobs for everything.....what not to like about this one??? Oh, and it's $1995. Right up the OP's alley, methinks.

The Novation Summit looks absolutely terrific, but I am not a patient person, I get too excited about music gear. I cannot see myself making it to September without purchasing something else short-term.

Novation Summit

She's a beauty.

Could not agree more. Synth boner.

Lots of good suggestions here.

If the OP hadn't mentioned being interested in various musical genres I wouldn't have brought up the Forte. If you want to try adding symphonic elements to your Progressive Metal, or want to try film scoring, or would like a world-class Grand Piano sample the Forte will get you there. You also can't beat Kurzweil's flexibility and power with assigning its ample sliders and pedals to control the software instruments you've already got.

The only Kurzweils I can find locally are $4000+. They look great, and I have heard amazing reviews about Kurzweil products, but for now, the Kurzweil products are in the dream pile.

When I read the following, If you want to try adding symphonic elements to your Progressive Metal, I smiled because this is exactly what I am trying to do.

good question... I wasn't assuming this is necessarily for live performance. If it is, I'd be less inclined to look at the patchable Moogs on the basis of having no recallable presets.

Might be performed live, havent got to that point yet. I am buying tools to expand my options. Other band members cover Moogs. They are Moog mad, which is great for the band, but I am looking for a synth to elevate my sound.

Either way, it sounds like he's committed to (or at least comfortable with) computer for most of his sounds, so the focus would really seem to be on what it is a real synth can do better than a VST can.

...also all well handled by VSTs. Hence my focus on (mostly) analog and knobs, the non-VST strengths even for VST folk.

100%. I am looking for a tactile feel of knobs and sliders. You nailed what I am after.

It would if it were available. Anyone know when this ships?

If he's using VST's and if he is happy with his current controller a Peak or other Desktop synth would work. I agree with Scott, if he's using VST's I would look for a good Analog Synth capable of some ballsy lead sounds. It is Progressive Metal so an in your face sound might be appropriate here.

Max out the ballage for sure. 100%. Absolutely, in your face and starting a fight with your eardrums. ULTRA FAT. You guys are nailing it. I am happy with my current Midi controller, which is an Arturia Keylab 88, but it has hammer action keys. It has strengths and weaknesses. I am hoping to get a new device with a solid, synth feel.

How about a Kronos LS?

With mod wheels, youre pretty much limited to Yamaha and Kurzweil. I prefer them too, but as AnotherScott helpfully pointed out when I was searching for another board, most keyboards will let you assign an expression pedal to the mod wheel function, so if its a joystick then it doesnt matter.

All Kronos I can find is in the $4000+ range. Is the LS something special?

I'm on board with this new Novation synth. Its actually two 8 voice synths in one KB package so you can do splits, layers, a 5 octave KB. No touch screen to BREAK DOWN, it has knobs per function instead of menu diving. Great for live performance. FAT sounds. 3 Osc per voice, an awesome analog filter, 70 Wavetable sounds, and FM. One complete package.

Novation is making high quality synths and has excellent customer service and support. At $1999.00 its a bargain.

Mike T.

Me too but suck at waiting.

It's sounding more like what you need really is a Kronos. Here in the US, a used Kronos X (possibly Kronos 2)can be had (61 key, possible 73 key) for a little over $2000. Look on Reverb, Ebay

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Where are you based?

Canada

It's sounding more like what you need really is a Kronos. Here in the US, a used Kronos X (possibly Kronos 2)can be had (61 key, possible 73 key) for a little over $2000. Look on Reverb, Ebay

Would love one. With Reverb/Ebay I get nailed on the delivery.

Where are you based?

Canada

Would love one. With Reverb/Ebay I get nailed on the delivery.

It looks like you have to buy from a Canadian dealer.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

How about a Kronos LS?

The Kronos LS is an 88-key Kronos but with a semi-weighted action (piano shaped though) rather than a hammer action weighted one. Used would be your best bet.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

How about a Kronos LS?

The Kronos LS is an 88-key Kronos but with a semi-weighted action (piano shaped though) rather than a hammer action weighted one. Used would be your best bet.

Sounds beautiful.

How about a Kronos LS?...With mod wheels, youre pretty much limited to Yamaha and Kurzweil. I prefer them too, but as AnotherScott helpfully pointed out when I was searching for another board, most keyboards will let you assign an expression pedal to the mod wheel function, so if its a joystick then it doesnt matter.
...though it would be nice if the Kronos supported more than one expression pedal!

In this case, I don't know if the OP specifically wants wheels as opposed to other controllers, or if he was just indicating that he wants some kind of pitch/mod controls. So Kronos may or may not meet that criteria, but still, besides price...

Owning a Korg Kronos would be a dream come true. I am a huge Jordan Rudess fan. While I want to carve my path in terms of my sound, I would love to have access to the same equipment. I have been hunting around for Korg Kronos for probably about 2-months now without finding anything in my immediate price range. I have put the dream on hold to get something a little more for the here-and-now, and I will save for the Kronos over time.

it sounds like he's committed to (or at least comfortable with) computer for most of his sounds, so the focus would really seem to be on what it is a real synth can do better than a VST can...Hence my focus on (mostly) analog and knobs, the non-VST strengths even for VST folk.

100%. I am looking for a tactile feel of knobs and sliders. You nailed what I am after.

Kronos is a great board, but I don't think it's great for tactile synthesis. Yes, it has knobs and sliders. But they are generically laid out, and generically labelled, to do different things in different situations. For the kind of real synthesis you've been talking about, it's much more screen-centric than knob-centric. Used, you might find a Kronos 61 in your price range (and even the oldest ones pretty much do everything the newest ones do), but I don't know if it will really give you the tactile experience you're looking for. I think a long term approach of a Kronos plus a dedicated synth might be ideal, and then it's a matter of deciding which to get first. Or if you don't want to go for a used 61 Kronos, then maybe that decision is made for you, i.e. if the Kronos you want is still out of budget. As for what other boards to look at to complement it... well, you're back to the ones discussed earlier in the thread.

Where are you based?

Canada

Probably worth mentioning in your first post, given the vast majority of forumites here are based in the U.S., and are giving you recommendations in U.S. currency.

That being said, your original list is ALL OVER the map, with no rhyme nor reason. Understandable, as you're apparently new to all this, but that's like going to a car forum and asking what to buy and listing a minivan, a sportscar, a limousine and a tank. ;)

I'd recommend spending more time familiarizing yourself with the various classes of keyboard-based instruments that are available, and being a bit more realistic about what you actually need for your gigs/projects. YMMV. Best of luck.

Where are you based?

Canada

Probably worth mentioning in your first post, given the vast majority of forumites here are based in the U.S., and are giving you recommendations in U.S. currency.

That being said, your original list is ALL OVER the map, with no rhyme nor reason. Understandable, as you're apparently new to all this, but that's like going to a car forum and asking what to buy and listing a minivan, a sportscar, a limousine and a tank. ;)

I'd recommend spending more time familiarizing yourself with the various classes of keyboard-based instruments that are available, and being a bit more realistic about what you actually need for your gigs/projects. YMMV. Best of luck.

All sensible comments.

The budget is slightly flexible as it doesnt represent my entire life savings but more of boundaries to what I am willing to spend. If someone sends me a convincing recommendation for USD 2000, I will stretch the budget. I would agree that it doesnt rhyme, but there is a strong reason. I want to try something new. I have synths now be-it VST, and I am happy with everything for experimentation but as others noted the goal is to figure out how can I build upon the foundation I have already built (long way of saying I am new). The list, specifically, was to generate a conversation and see how people break down the selection of synths I have heard of and have an opportunity to try in a store. The goal is to narrow down the selection of synths to a reasonable size that I will try, and we are reaching that goal, in my opinion. I am getting excited. I learned a lot from this post, appreciate all the help and look forward to future comments from people.

P.s. Noticed you are from Toronto, and I wanted to let you know that I run a charity for Canadians who are burden with the responsibility of caring for a Korg Kronos. Many Canadians buy these large synths without thinking about the responsibilities, and my new Charity looks to provide homes, well my home, for unwanted synths. ;)