Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Dr John

Today Dr John has passed away according to his Instagram account due to a heart attack.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crap! Sad to hear the news. The Night Tripper was one of my all time favs. He had the New Orleans piano thing down cold. We lost him just a few days after Leon Redbone. Included below is a little Xmas tune performed by the Dr. and Leon. The Dr. lays down a tasty little solo at ~3:30. Props to the excellent clarinet player too.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

He was the only doctor good enough to not need a nurse.

I heard him a lot on Boston's WBCN during the 70's.

Most definitely, he is the one who taught me how to cook.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I had the chance to see him in concert several years ago here in Melbourne. He had Keb 'Mo and Charlie Musselwhite on the show with him. His musicianship was magical.

Another of my musical heroes gone. I'll dedicate "Right Place, Wrong Time" to him at Saturday's gig.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I learned a lot from GoodNight Irene. The New Orleans Piano VHS tapes and accompanying booklets were pure gold at a point when I needed them.

I think this was Mac's rendering of the James Booker interpretation but I learned it from the Dr.

[video:youtube]

Sad, but this day has been coming. Being a (self-described) functioning junkie for decades is not a recipe for long life.

Can't begin to describe what his music has meant to me. His light will never fade in my firmament.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Dr. John, the six-time Grammy Award winner whose gritty voodoo-inspired stage persona and whimsical way of speaking were as beloved in New Orleans as his piano-playing, has died. He was 77 years old.

A family statement released by his publicist says Dr. John died early Thursday (June 6) of a heart attack.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment/2019/06/dr-john-a-true-new-orleans-music-legend-dies-at-age-77-report.html

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Everyone knows his hits, but not everyone knows his two solo albums: Dr. John plays Mac Rebbenack volumes 1 and 2. When I found those albums it was a revelation, and since then I've spent more time listening to them than anything else he's done.

Everyone knows his hits, but not everyone knows his two solo albums: Dr. John plays Mac Rebbenack volumes 1 and 2. When I found those albums it was a revelation, and since then I've spent more time listening to them than anything else he's done.

Indeed. Like this one, a favourite of mine from the second album, also called "The Brightest Smile in Town".

Indeed. Like this one, a favourite of mine from the second album, also called "The Brightest Smile in Town".

You inadvertently linked a different song but it doesn't matter, they're all worth listening to.