Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is this an A13 chord or something else? Help identifying.

Part of writing out things is knowing what chords you're working with. I'm pretty good with things up to a 9th in general, but after that I'm not so good.

I'm thinking the closest thing is an A13 chord. What do you think?

(going up the keyboard) G+C#+F# with an A an octave below.

Thanks!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you. So I should just notate it as an A13 chord symbol? Just wondering because of how it's spread out. I'd like to communicate that you don't add the A in the right hand without actually transcribing the whole thing down into sheet music. I can do that, but this is supposed to be a quick band lead sheet.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Yes. If I saw an A13 on a chart, that's probably exactly how I'd play it. People who know what they're doing wouldn't put an extra A in the right hand unless it was the melody note.

I was thinking about the A right next to the G (lowest note of the upper hand). But thanks, I will notate it this way then.

Easiest way I learned to create a 13th chord is to play a major triad in root position, then drop the root one whole step, and raise the 5th one whole step.

There ya go.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I learned it differently:

- There is such a thing as a 76 chord (the one that you spelled out)

- There is such a thing as a 769 chord

- If you name a chord 9 it automatically contains the 7th

- If you name a chord minor 11 it includes 7 and 9

- If you name a chord #11 it includes 7 and 9

- If you name a chord 13 it includes 7, 9 and #11

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

^ Yep. My understanding is that if a basic chord (maj/min) is followed by an odd number, all odd notes up to that one are included.

So an A13 would include the 7, 9, and 11.

So this would, to me, be an A7 add 13 (or add 6, but that would imply a close dissonance between the 6 and 7 that doesn't happen the way this chord is voiced).

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

For me this is correct. Same goes for Ami11.. I would play effectifely a Emi7/A

(going up the keyboard) G+C#+F# with an A an octave below.

I would call this: A7/13 . If the B was included it would be a A9/13.

I would never include the #11 on a 13 chord without the explicit addition. The 9, yes, but not the #11.

Different strokes. :cheers:

Me neither, but I might instinctively drop it in if it were organic to the mode or home key (and non-clashy with melody). For example, if the A13 was the IV to an EMaj7, and there was no D in the melody, I could see myself adding that #11 to the voicing even if it wasnt charted there.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

For me this is correct. Same goes for Ami11.. I would play effectifely a Emi7/A

Agreed, and I think of an A13 as a GMaj7/A by default.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

The essential tones of a chord are the 3rd and 7th and you have the major 3 and b7th of A so you have a A dominant. Now you have the F# color tone for the 13th add to that the A in the bass. So you took a A7 shell voicing and add the 13th as a color tone. That's how I'd look at it.

Agreed, and I think of an A13 as a GMaj7/A by default.

That can get you in big trouble. GMaj7 / A can mean A7 sus or A13 sus, but it doesn't just mean A13. I'd be pissed if I wrote A13 and somebody kept putting the natural 4 in there.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Huh. Guess I've been doing it wrong all these years. Not terribly surprising. I'm thinking of playing something in the key of D major and using the GMaj7/A (what I think of as A13) as the dominant. A #11 would sound weird in that context - no?

I guess you could call it A7 add 9 add 11 add 13, but that seems like a lot of work.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

To me the original notes quoted would imply an A13 voicing. Like many others, I'd instinctively add natural 9 to grab (bottom up): G - B - C# - F#

A b9 would add a nice crunch, if melody doesn't clash. Natural 11 isn't a bad thought...but it adds a different pretty flavor to the voicing that may not be appropriate with what else going on.

If we're talking notation to provide direction to comping, A13 gets me there. If I intentionally wanted the 11th voiced, I'd use a different chord name (A7sus or similar?).

Blowing over an A13? Sure, 11 and #11 are candidates depending on the flavor intended. But if you're comping an 11 or #11 behind a soloist / singer and the chart says A13, your results may be different than intended - and different than what the rest of the band is expecting.

That can get you in big trouble. GMaj7 / A can mean A7 sus or A13 sus, but it doesn't just mean A13. I'd be pissed if I wrote A13 and somebody kept putting the natural 4 in there.

If i play A-G in the left hand and G-B-D-F# in the right hand, i would consider the D a 11 and not the natural 4. If you dont want them to play the 11th in a 13th chord, you should write A9/13, so that it obvious that 7 and 9 are in , and that the 13 is add.