Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you guys carry non-keyboard gear around in?

+3 for CablePhyle bag -- except the zippers on mine are sown in such a way that they keep getting stuck on the fabric. :P Otherwise, really handy way to keep smaller items separated and easy to see.

A zipper fix that's worked for me is plain old Chapstick - I know, sounds weird, but works. It's paraffin based, not petroleum, so it makes the teeth glide and stay on track better. I hit mine about every 6 months or so and they do get snagged less.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use right angle plugs to prevent damage and pack my devices with the

cables attached I only unplug one end, usually at my I/O panel

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Not a fan of the bags since I sometimes need a small cable or adapter or whatnot, and it's at the bottom and I'm on a dark stage, a PITA. I prefer the small aluminum cases from Home Depot or Harbor Freight. I lose most of the foam and the tool holder but keep the dividers, they work well to hold pedals in place:

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-6-in-x-13-in-black-aluminum-case-69318.html

case.jpg

+3 for CablePhyle bag -- except the zippers on mine are sown in such a way that they keep getting stuck on the fabric. :P Otherwise, really handy way to keep smaller items separated and easy to see.

A zipper fix that's worked for me is plain old Chapstick - I know, sounds weird, but works. It's paraffin based, not petroleum, so it makes the teeth glide and stay on track better. I hit mine about every 6 months or so and they do get snagged less.

Jake

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Cables, power cords and pedals in a small duffel bag or backpack. IEM stuff, mic and miscellaneous fragile things in a small metal road case. Not schlepping an amp and monitor wedge has made it pretty efficient to load in and out. And its a lot easier on my occasionally sore back.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

+1 to the Cablephyle-style bag. I originally posted this in a not-so-recent thread but I'll repost it here below:

I have a similar bag and really like it - Phitz medium cable bag

One of the zipper pulls fell off at some point but other than that it's been great. It's way more efficient for organizing and retrieving cables and pedals, keeps things way neater than just dumping everything into a duffel bag like I used to do. Definitely a worthwhile purchase IMO.

It seems that since I posted this, the bag is no longer in stock on Amazon (or anywhere, for that matter)

I took a picture of mine just to give an idea of what you can fit in it

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rpantale/pics/phitzmediumbag.png

Dimensions of the bag are 20 x 10 x 9 inches. This bag from Cable File (previously mentioned in this thread) is about the same size. Phitz also has the Stage Duffel, which is a nice bag but ended up being too small for me (I actually bought it first but returned it for the medium bag)

Not a fan of the bags since I sometimes need a small cable or adapter or whatnot, and it's at the bottom and I'm on a dark stage, a PITA.
That's why the CablePhyle bag works so well -- the square top opens all the way like a lid so you don't just open a zipper and then have to rummage around, and the file separators let you see (or feel) everything, again so you don't have to rummage around. Nothing's at the bottom; it's all on display and the whatnot adapter is in the place that you put it when you packed it.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

+4 on the CablePhyle. Plus I also use a Phitz camera bag for sustain pedals and backup PSU's.

My old leather briefcase

[James Bond video]

Awesome post. Back in the day before James Bond took the pee one double five out of Q at every opportunity.

PYnc2ci.jpg

tumblr_pso0z6kEYT1ual3guo1_640.jpg

I have 3 unit 19=inch case with my Motu Audio Express in it. All wires are connected to the Audio Express and tied together.

Spare space is enough for storing my Macbook Pro, FC-7, Sustain pedal, in-ear, 7-inch tablet and wires.

I carry this 19-inch box and my DMC-122 in mojo gigbag in one go.

I have to walk a second time for my x-stand and clothes bag.

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

Ah, gear toting logistics, love it :)

I've tried a few things. Granted, I don't have a ton of gear, I am always trying to reduce. I also want to eliminate loose items like mic stands, which I tend to forget at home. Instead, I have a mic boom that goes on my stand so whatever I use has to be able to fit that in it. That goes with my soft pistol case that holds my mic and in-ear stuff, my power cords, and my FOH snake consisting of 3 long cables (keys out, mic out, monitor back to me).

I tried a canvas bag, I didn't like how shapeless it was...everything just mushed together in there.

I then went to a rubbermaid 10-gallon low tote, which fit my boom, mixer-mounted-on-pedal board and all else. Bad: needed two hands to carry.

I now don't use a mixer and in an attempt to make a one-carry-trip rig I use a heavy-duty "tactical" backpack that holds a ton. So I can wear that and carry two keyboards and my stand in their bags (in a pinch). For long hauls I use my rock-n-roller cart, and ironically there the tote is best since it stacks and is a perfect size to fit it.

No reason to go with matte-black bags/cases like everyone else seems to...I don't bring them on stage so all it does it make them hard to see when I'm packing up.

Another thing--I only pack my main bag with exactly what I need for a show. I keep all my backup cables, DI, etc in a separate bag that normally stays in my car...if my car is far away I'll bring that up and hide it somewhere on stage. Our guitarist brings a giant (matte black :D) suitcase of cables on stage that weighs a ton, and he uses the same few ones every time....

I am a firm advocate of vintage hard sided suitcases from local thrift stores. Usually under $10, tacky enough to not get stolen and hold a ton. Also, convenient carry handle. Can't beat it. I run as much gear as I can fit in them....

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

I'm new to piano, but 50 years of guitar and bass and same things would for in general. Those fiberboard drum cases are strong and not to expensive. For all sorts of cords power, speaker, instrument and some tom-tom case works great. You don't have to wind them in too tight of a circle which is good for cable health and then with a strip of velcro, shoe lace, tape can secure the wound up cable.

Now for small stuff I got a fiberboard case for a set of bongo, nice square case, good depth, and can hold quite a bit of stuff.

If first got into this mixing sound for a busy local band and they had floor tom cases for the big cables and tom-tom cases from smaller. Really made setup and tear down easy and with handle on the case easy to carry too.

Since about the mid 80s to about 2 years ago, I used my trusty Teal-and-Purple colored duffel bag. It kept on going and going... after 32 years of schlepping and abuse (and my old cat - RIP - peeing on it several times!).

Finally retired it a couple years ago when the leader of our country band gave us all new matching Black duffel bags with our band insignia on it. Same general type of duffel bag (side pockets and front pockets).

We also all got band-insignia jackets too. What a generous bandleader!

But obviously it serves a good PR purpose as well... makes the band look more uniform and 'serious'.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

My drummer uses two Army footlockers, he got from surplus for $20 each. They have a top shelf and removable box inserts for the bottom. Holds all his electronic drums except the main stand and stool. In addition they hold a bunch of other stuff, cables, mics , the guitarists pedal board. During the gig he stacks them and we put the mixer on top. They are quite handy and people who have been to basic training recognize them right away. They aren't very heavy either(empty).

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell