Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Waldorf Blofeld

Retired my Solaris that had tons of Waldorf and Prophet Wavetables.

Im missing that Motion and Digital quality.

So I bought a Blofeld since it fits on top of my racks with the SE-02.

Bought a nice custom case, relevant USB Cables as I have the iPad Pro.

Monday I start integrating it.

Ive only got 5 days to replace about 40 Omnisphere sounds with Blofeld.

Anybody have one of these, if so whats the best editor for iOS where USB C to Blofeld USB A, and MIDI Out from the Physis K4 into the module.

I want to avoid the Loopback/Ox crap.

Thanks.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just downloaded Patch Base for iOS, but haven't yet tried it with the Blofeld. I use a Blofeld keyboard with Logic Pro X, as a teaching tool - using Bigglesworth as an editor/librarian. But I've lately become interested in iOS-based editing. Have read some positive reviews of Patch Base, so that one may be your solution.

Like Bigglesworth, Patch Base is supposed to import/export sysex - which is the patch storage format for the instrument. When I first bought the Blofeld, I purchased a 3rd-party sound set from Synthonia-via Synth Cloud. As I hadn't yet explored the above editors, getting the sounds into the instrument was rough. The vendor-supplied program didn't work, and even working with Bome SendSX was challenging. It took a few tries to get the sounds loaded correctly. And even now it appears that a few are missing. I'm going to see if the file can be loaded from my ipad, using Patch Base; hopefully this week. Bigglesworth, via Mac, has been a little glitchy in that regard; it's still in Beta.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Addendum to the above:

When I loaded the Synthonia sound set, the samples loaded fine - using the vendor-supplied program; it was the patch sysex info that was messy to deal with. There's actually a surprisingly decent acoustic piano in the collection. That's been occasionally useful when gigging the Blofeld, and my Stage 3 76 is tied up with other sounds.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yeah, what a great little synth for live work.

Had a guy build a custom stand that breaks down like Lincoln Logs.

SE-02 and Blofeld sit in a mini euro rack.

What Ive discovered.

Found a preset called synthline. Unbelievable huge one fingered Multi Section String sound.

I dissected it, now know how to get synth sounds similar to Solaris Quad Oscillator sounds.

While I dont have the Quad Filters Solaris does which are sick, the dual filter design on Blofeld works really well.

Patchbase is perfect, and this synth is going to be used for the gigs in July.

Im actually flying to a gig with a USB Stick full of Physis K4 performances, and my Blofeld SE-02 kit.

Totally satisfies with this synth.

Convinced that layering is the way to go.

Especially for synth work.

Samples need to be pretty good because layering kills the polyphony.

Happy as Hell

True. I used to own a Blofeld (module and keyboard) and when I sold those and still wanted that sound, I got a Sledge, thinking of it as a knobby Blofeld. I was pretty disappointed. It's still the only synth I sent back to the store within a couple of days. There is something missing in the sound of the Sledge compared to the Blofeld, almost like it's a more lo-fi sounding synth.

There are good reasons some companies don't announce anything until its close to shipping or ready to ship. When consumers expect something that for probably valid reasons doesn't materialize it really diminishes the brand in the eyes of the consumer. Look how the Zarenbourg was marketed. It was announced in 2006 but didn't seem to materialise until 2012/13. Six years, I'm quite sure they wanted to ship it. They trotted it out to every trade show for years. It became sort of a joke.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Look how the Zarenbourg was marketed. It was announced in 2006 but didn't seem to materialise until 2012/13. Six years, I'm quite sure they wanted to ship it.... It became sort of a joke.

Sure did.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I have one I used in the now de-funked 80's project I was in with my old old friends..we played about 15 gigs or so...I was trying to find and editor for it and loved the sounds but never got to edit it....the dual Filter yielded some very intriguing textures... I tend to create my own patches from scratch or modify existing patches for work like that and wanted to with the Blofeld desktop also.. but never bought an editor... left the project for a number of reasons..the music #1..time and the work involved #2...#3 taking care of my ageing folks (actually #1) Also I can't play 80's music anymore for musical reasons, really, I tried to have fun but no-go! it was good to reconnect with old pals though! Back to basics for me... piano/organ/EP/Clav. I still have it if anyone is interested... I put it on a 'shelf' I attached to a mike stand below my IReal loaded Kindle! Some of those textures are truly amazing

I love tweaking synths but always feel I could be spending time better spent just musically..

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I dont see any advantage to knobs unless you're tweaking the filters, which I do with expression.

For not having knobs though its not bad for making presets due to the well thought lay out of parameters.

I was going to get an editor but realized my Physis K4 is already an editor.

I was thinking having a pair of these would be capable of really big sounds, but after taking apart that incredible synthline preset layers besides sampled instruments, are where its at with this synth.

13 dollar Amazon gig bag holds everything needed for the Blofeld too.

4-F3-C116-C-418-B-4603-9643-3-C4378-A0-BFCB.jpgnearest 24 hr gas station

I kept mine in an old heavyweight Dell laptop case from one of my old daygigs, threw out the old old computer and kept the bag for the Blofeld... (sorry for the huge photo)

here was my 80's rig, it's on the mike stand to the right:

m01MS9q.jpg

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122