Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I have no faith with Behringer

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked for a software company that did something similar. For years, customers asked for an update of an older application. At one trade show, they made a mockup and made it look like it was actually running and doing something. But it was all fake. Any time someone asked about the product, I simply pointed to the owner and said, "ask him." I didn't demo the fake, either. Despite all that, he never bothered to work on, much less ship an updated version of that program. I had hoped that sending all the inquiries to him on the show floor would motivate him but it did not.

I worked for a company that sold some data acquisition software.....well, SOLD, but that doesn't mean we actually HAD it. We had pretty data sheets and marketing materials, so like a foolish young sales guy, I sold it to a customer based on all of the features that the pretty shiny marketing materials promised. We shipped them something, but it didn't work. Lots of run-time errors and missing many of the promised features. In the process of trying to get all of this fixed, I came to find out that we had outsourced it to a 3rd party developer and had run into a conflict and there was an ongoing lawsuit. They took the project in-house and what they ended up coming up with was nothing like what I had sold the customer. I ended up literally writing a windows application myself in my free time to give them in order to generate the specific reports they needed because I felt bad and nobody at the factory was doing anything to help them.

I learned a valuable lesson....don't sell a new product until I can actually get my hands on it and make sure it works as promised.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

In some cases, the engineers design and prototype a new product (this happens in hardware before anything but a rudimentary software is available). Engineering and marketing may like the potential new product - however upper corporate management comes to a conclusion like - too much engineering time actually finishing it for sale, or - not enough potential sales at the price we will sell it; and then upper management decides NO on production.

However, as a side effect, there very frequently is another product eventually released that offers some of the new functionality. An example would be the Kurzweil VA1 synth, which was never put into production. However, much of the virtual analog software that was produced for the VA1 did make it into the PC3 series (unfortunately with menu diving to adjust stuff instead of the "knobiness" of the VA1, and with other shortcomings such as oscillators and LFOs that weren't up to the original specs.

A lot of the proposed K3000 new stuff has wound up in the Kurzweil Forte.

Hardware development is usually working at least two generations ahead of existing products - mostly because it MUST be that way since it often takes longer to write properly functioning software than it did to develop and prototype the hardware. Although I have used Kurzweil products in this comment, other manufacturers have similar design methods. Frankly, a considerable amount of design of a new hardware product comes from release of a new gadget of some sort that may be used originally in a quite different field, such as continuously rotating knobs instead of knobs with a start and stop point.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Probably one of the worst phony keyboard displays at a trade show was from Waldorf... this non-functioning shell of a synth. :facepalm:

http://www.noisetime.com/mm07/05.jpg

I really hope this will NOT happen to the Waldorf Kyra too !

A.C.

Probably one of the worst phony keyboard displays at a trade show was from Waldorf... this non-functioning shell of a synth. :facepalm:

They had a working prototype at NAMM (as opposed to a mockup), so I think you'll be ok here.

I worked for a software company that did something similar. ....

I worked for a company that sold some data acquisition software.....well, SOLD, but that doesn't mean we actually HAD it. ...

Well, guys, as all us software people know, you do not need to go in details: just says 'selling software' imply by definition what you are talking about ... :taz:

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

http://www.noisetime.com/mm07/05.jpg

A.C.

For what i remember, in this case the story is a bit different; please, correct me if anybody knows better.

The initial Waldorf (that of the Q and Microwave) went bankrupt. A group of people (don't remember exactly who, founders and employees ?) prepared a recovery plan, and looked around for funding; they were successful , and could buy the assets and restart the company; the recovery plan included a products plan, and that plan included the Stromberg, the Blofeld and the Zarenboug (may be other stuff); at that time, they were probably just a group of ideas and marketing material; they probably started from they considered more financially rewarding and at the end they axed the Stromberg to go in other directions.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

Of course, no vaporsynth discussion would be complete without this beauty:

http://www.briansacawa.com/images/sage.jpg

For those who don't know the story: this wasn't just vaporware, it was a hoax that was done about 15 years ago. A member on Analogue Heaven put out teasers for about a month or two, then admitted it was all a hoax and that the Bahn Sage was a product of elaborate CGI.

For those who don't know the story: this wasn't just vaporware, it was a hoax that was done about 15 years ago. A member on Analogue Heaven put out teasers for about a month or two, then admitted it was all a hoax and that the Bahn Sage was a product of elaborate CGI.

Very elaborate. Not something you'd expect from a synth forum.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I worked for a software company that did something similar. For years, customers asked for an update of an older application. At one trade show, they made a mockup and made it look like it was actually running and doing something. But it was all fake. Any time someone asked about the product, I simply pointed to the owner and said, "ask him." I didn't demo the fake, either. Despite all that, he never bothered to work on, much less ship an updated version of that program. I had hoped that sending all the inquiries to him on the show floor would motivate him but it did not.

I worked for a company that sold some data acquisition software.....well, SOLD, but that doesn't mean we actually HAD it. We had pretty data sheets and marketing materials, so like a foolish young sales guy, I sold it to a customer based on all of the features that the pretty shiny marketing materials promised. We shipped them something, but it didn't work. Lots of run-time errors and missing many of the promised features. In the process of trying to get all of this fixed, I came to find out that we had outsourced it to a 3rd party developer and had run into a conflict and there was an ongoing lawsuit. They took the project in-house and what they ended up coming up with was nothing like what I had sold the customer. I ended up literally writing a windows application myself in my free time to give them in order to generate the specific reports they needed because I felt bad and nobody at the factory was doing anything to help them.

I learned a valuable lesson....don't sell a new product until I can actually get my hands on it and make sure it works as promised.

Urgh. That's why I pointed everyone who asked about the product at the owner. Other people were telling people the product was going to ship that year or whatever. Knowing what I did, I was sure it wasn't.

(The rest of the story, you might have guessed. We already had a new product that was gravy for the company, which was why the owner lost interest in the old product. He wasn't even thinking about the old product and no one else had the knowledge nor ability to do what needed to be done with the old product.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I see where you are coming from zeronyne. All I am saying is, Uli might want too slow down on teasing new synth ideas, when some of the ones, he already has in the works, arent even in production stage.

I agree 1000%

"For instance" is not proof.

I see where you are coming from zeronyne. All I am saying is, Uli might want too slow down on teasing new synth ideas, when some of the ones, he already has in the works, arent even in production stage.

I agree 1000%

That was what I was trying too convey, all along. I should have worded it better in my original post!

Regarding Behringer, it's clear that Uli has tapped into a market demand - a deep niche with cash to burn. This legacy product demand may not exist long-term, but it's hot right now and will likely stay hot for the near future.

When the VC340, Odyssey and UB-Xa keyboards ship en masse, and if the design and manufacturing quality is robust, the excitement should grow exponentially.

It's a whole new ball game.

Steve Coscia

The Arp 2600 synth remake from Behringer is officially happening. :cool:

(one day. not soon, though.) ;)

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-arp-2600-synth-remake-from-behringer-is-officially-happening

I noticed, that he is not including the Speakers, as the original had. Probably one of the ways too lower the cost! That, and most likely no keyboard, just the Module.

"Remember... your DPM 3 will never be obsolete!" :snax:

And it will bring fame and glory as well...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rScBRKlTdoE/TNDFlCGTSyI/AAAAAAABsJ4/XURiP6sdLVQ/s1600/!B7b7bhgEWk~%24(KGrHqZ,!jYEzKEH,tV)BM0JpR50kg~~_3.JPG

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.