Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you guys carry non-keyboard gear around in?

What do you use to carry your pedals, wires, etc?

I have been using a Trader Joes shopping bag. I need to upgrade! I need something to carry:

2 power supply (wall warts)

6-8 instrument cables

2 50ft xlrs

1 6ft xlr

1 20ft xlr

Key Largo

3 power cables for internal power supplies

Power Strip

Midi Cable

Sustain Pedal

Expression Pedal fc7

1 mic

1 small effects pedal

Ashby 1/2 moon

TIA!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found something like this at Kmart, of all places. Not as fancy obviously, but it's sturdy, has zippered compartments, and I was able to fit my V-stand inside it!

dockers_luggage_coastline_24_exp_upright_black_-_large_rolling_luggage_665707.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Couldn't find it online, but I have a backpack style case made by Odyssey. It holds vocal mic, IEM's, spare batteries, all of my cables, sustain and swell pedals, DI's, Line6 Pod, power supplies, power cables, Power Strip, etc. Plenty of compartments for spares and what-not, including flashlight, snacks (I'm diabetic and need to have them on-hand in case my sugar drops). Easy to sling over my shoulder.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Several things based on the need.

My regular gear bag is a Hammond logo backpack my friend brought back from NAMM this year. It holds the stuff I use with my typical setup. In addition to the cables & pedals, I can jam one small speaker stand in there.

For overflow/spares I have a couple of promotional tote style bags and a few smaller duffle bags. It depends on my mood and how far I have to walk with the bag.

When I need two speaker stands (about 20% of the time), I have a small camera tripod bag that I use.

A sweetwater branded bag, got it free when I ordered a MOX8 years ago. Still works great its pretty durable.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SweetBagLg--sweetwater-deluxe-overnight-bag

Boy... they never gave me anything free (except candy and cables) when I bought synths from them. :taz:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

It was a promotion, you had to order over a certain amount to get it and the promotion was short lived. Yes a tee shirt every now and then would be appreciated. Considering the many thousands I've spent over the last 8 years or so. I have averaged about $2000 every year for music gear and it has pretty much all has been from them.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Over the years: used luggage cases, camera cases, gun cases, bought a couple of Moog large soft cases that they were selling out at a ridiculously low price because they were for a discontinued product and were no longer in demand. Military surplus equipment cases, a backpack given to me when I attended a Microsoft Trainer event. Also some JBL speaker bags that I bought originally when I was carrying those speakers around. I repurposed the speakers for fixed locations, so the bags became available for other things, and I had already paid for them.

In a former business venture, I had to carry a lot of small parts around. I ran into three rather large metal cases at a surplus sale that were very cheap - used those cases for a couple of decades, still have one of them with tubes, transistors, ICs, resistors, capacitors, specific electronic organ parts and so forth that I've kept.

First rule - must hold the stuff. Next rule - as easy as possible to carry (like good handles). Third rule - don't spend more than needed to accomplish rules 1 and 2.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Wide-mouth contractor tool bag de jour from Home Depot.

Yup. I've got one ready for each type of gig and one dedicated to "spare parts" that lives in my back seat.

http://earthexplorer.info/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/tool-bag-home-depot-the-ca-bags.jpg

http://somet.info/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/tool-bags-home-depot-these-bags.jpg

And these we're 3 for $10 and make great mic or small accessory bags.

2490377_usn.jpg

That looks like my practice bag! My Sweetwater bag is really getting heavy because since its for gigs, I carry a lot of redundant stuff including a 50ft heavy gauge extension cord, mutliple wall warts, etc. When I go to practice I have a red Porter Cable bag that holds just the essentials. I got it from Lowes!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

+1 on the Cablephyle bag. Fits my FC7, Key Largo, and all my cables, iPad mini, and a large back pocket for my power strip.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Wide-mouth contractor tool bag du jour from Home Depot.

Same. I carry several of these, different colors so I know which is which at a glance. One goes into gigs with necessities like cables, in-ears, music lite, etc. The other two stay in the car unless needed. One with spare necessities and a small personal monitor in case of in-ear system failure. A third has basic tools, cable testers, etc, just in case.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Wide-mouth contractor tool bag de jour from Home Depot.

Yup. I've got one ready for each type of gig and one dedicated to "spare parts" that lives in my back seat.

http://earthexplorer.info/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/tool-bag-home-depot-the-ca-bags.jpg

Same here, the exact bag pictured above. But I already need an additional one. I like the 'one for each type of gig' concept.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

For some years now I've been using an old ALICE pack (medium, no frame) I picked up for about $50 at a military surplus. Big enough to carry a little SRM 150 (when I still had one), a basic drum throne, pedals, cables, power strip, D.I., etc...along with a few other oddities I may need for a particular gig. I like it a lot because it leaves my hands free to carry other stuff and open doors.

I've got all this dialed in a very pleasing fashion for local gigs.

Tom Bihn packing cube backpack for all the cables, pedals, power strip, etc. Wear it like a backpack, both hands free. Light and thin but incredibly durable. Been abusing this thing for nearly a decade now, zippers and fabric still in great shape.

Mini-Vent and Key Largo go on a Pedaltrain Nano 14 in soft case with third-party power supplies gaff-taped underneath.

Hardware (On-Stage KS7150, X-style bench, custom 2nd tier inserts, K&M iPad clip, gaff tape and some other bits and bobs) go in a Pelican 1615 Air. Getting all that stuff into a single rolling case was a game changer. Comes in just under 50lbs loaded so I can fly with it in a pinch.

On van tours, or anything I need to fly to, the cable backpack and pedalboard (in soft case) go in a Pelican Storm iM2750, along with a few stage shirts in a garment bag, and one layer of foam on the bottom and in the lid. Just under 50lbs.

My old leather briefcase from when I used to work as an engineer and we used to carry those things.

(It took me forever to find this image since no one uses this kind anymore)

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/lXYAAOSwsB9WDobE/s-l300.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I carry everything, including stand (which is K&M table top stand, so big and bulky) and seat in a hockey bag. They have some with wheels as well

Thats a great idea. Love that you can put the stand in it!

+2 on a CablePhyle bag. I learned about them right here on keyboard corner. They come in different shapes and sizes.

For smaller gigs/rehearsals, I use a Sierra Club backpack that you get free for joining the Sierra Club.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.