Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Fender Acoustasonic

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen several of his videos before, and I think he does them well. He's honest, and fun without being over the top.

I didn't like the original run of Telecoustics. They just really sounded thin and crappy. Of course you could do what a friend of mine did to his - swap the neck for a maple one, and put in 3 additional pickups (yes, it has 4 pickups!)

10639437_10153869103975791_5360156752166160623_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_eui2=AeGnSRHTt8dw5PmVGCrgBsrdXTS2096gcDcdu-2tt2WmcCZyx2mEBGJPkS-tjOnwXPWBWYs13P3eVw2tbvNKWEFy7MdB4ls7XZ-gzQGQP1fX2A&_nc_oc=AQnLWJ68WQcQ1b76rCJkIKwGXBQl6D4Q8WGCmeUEXWB9Q-jjKyTGcts2-uByGY4VwL0&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=e58a62b0e7e4379a60ce41d071ea905c&oe=5D99E0B7

As to the new model - It certainly looks better, and seems to sound better, but I'll agree I can't see spending $2K on it. I'd go for a Godin first.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I had one of the old ones made out of fiberglass and didn't care for the neck or feel. I had to drill a hole and remount the strap lock or it would nose dive on me. But, it only cost about $300 which is a long way from $2,000. He said this one is one of the easiest guitars he has played, so that's definitely a plus. This new one looks and sounds like it has a lot of quality. I was impressed when he went to a straight mic in front of the sound hole and with the piezo and the electric pickup blended. Nice sound. Not bad looking...but I would rather spend that kind of money on my Taylor T5 which is basically the same idea without the sound hole (which looks a little funny BTW, but it might look better in person?). If I could be find a used one for a grand or so, I might get interested. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I've seen several of his videos before, and I think he does them well. He's honest, and fun without being over the top.

I didn't like the original run of Telecoustics. They just really sounded thin and crappy. Of course you could do what a friend of mine did to his - swap the neck for a maple one, and put in 3 additional pickups (yes, it has 4 pickups!)

10639437_10153869103975791_5360156752166160623_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_eui2=AeGnSRHTt8dw5PmVGCrgBsrdXTS2096gcDcdu-2tt2WmcCZyx2mEBGJPkS-tjOnwXPWBWYs13P3eVw2tbvNKWEFy7MdB4ls7XZ-gzQGQP1fX2A&_nc_oc=AQnLWJ68WQcQ1b76rCJkIKwGXBQl6D4Q8WGCmeUEXWB9Q-jjKyTGcts2-uByGY4VwL0&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=e58a62b0e7e4379a60ce41d071ea905c&oe=5D99E0B7

As to the new model - It certainly looks better, and seems to sound better, but I'll agree I can't see spending $2K on it. I'd go for a Godin first.

+1 On Godin.

"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

Another vote for a Godin.

For the most part, I dont care for acoustics that emulate the form of electrics. They never sound quite right, at least acoustically. Plugged in is usually a different story.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

ETA -> oh, he misidentifies the product in the vid,

Completely different product/guitar...

the new Tele acoustic thing is like an acoustic Variax or something... I kind of don't get the appeal of having an acoustic that uses modeling to emulate an electric as opposed to vice-versa... an electric is more easily playable.

I also have just played my actual regular acoustics through OD boxes when I needed them to sound somewhat like an electric for part of a song or something and that was good enough... and MUCH cheaper.

The Telecoustic and Stratacoustic were those awful plastic backed things... I bought one for $80... not sure where it is but I found the sound unusable.

The Acoustasonic Stratocaster was a great guitar that they didn't make for very long...

fender-deluxe-acoustasonic-strat-trans-blue-252135.jpg

This new Acoustisonic Tele is part of the same line as that one, I guess.

It's hard to form an opinion based on hearing a YouTube (serious data reduction) played on a laptop (seriously tiny speakers) but my sense, from this & other demos, is that the electric sound doesn't really get the essence of what a Telecaster is all about. This sort of hybrid guitar, to my ears, is really about adding a semblance of acoustic definition & tone to an electric instrument, rather than the other way around. If this acoustic timbre could be blended with a real Telecaster I think it would be a knockout, but I'm not hearing what I love about Telecaster tone in there.
Scott Fraser