Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My next stompbox?

My Grandfather/teacher did not use effects except for the reverb on his amps. As a result I am some what of a novice when it comes to effects. I currently have a compressor/buffer, boost, od, delay, fuzz. If I wanted to expand my board what should my next move be. I also have a MXR blue box that I don't use, I don't like the octave down. I was thinking an octave up or maybe Something like a chorus or phaser. I'm not really sure what the last to do. I have a Fender Supersonic 22, it reverb but no tremolo. Help me please!!
Jenny S.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surfer Girl, I'm in the same camp with your Granpa and just need an amp with some good reverb sans pedals these days. It looks like you have most of the main effects covered. I might suggest a simple DOD Phase Shifter with a single speed control knob. You won't need it all that much, but it can come in handy for a special tune or two like Sultans of Swing. The cool thing about it though is you can adjust the speed up to very fast and it quits sounding like a phase pedal and starts sounding like that old tremolo effect that you don't see on the newer amps anymore.

I'm not a big fan on Octave, Chorus or Phase, but I would go with a phase if I had to choose. Try one out if you can find one locally... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

One thing you can always do is find out if the metaphorical grass is greener on the other side of the metaphorical fence- IOW, make sure the particular pedals youre using are the best of their kind for you and your sound. Just because you have a delay or fuzz doesnt mean there isnt a better delay or fuzz for you.

Another thing is that sometimes, more is better. Sometimes, duplicates of the same pedal type or even the same pedal can be useful. For instance, here is one of Eric Johnsons pedalboards from a couple tours ago:

http://ejfans.com/images/pedals/march_2016_pedalboard.jpg

Note that he has not one, not two, but THREE Catalinbread Belle Epoch pedals on there. I suspect he has each one set slightly differently for different tonal choices, so he can switch them up quickly on the fly. In addition, by stacking them in his signal chain, he would be able to visit certain sonic landscapes he couldnt get to in other ways.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Thing is...without knowing what you want to play, its hard to advise you on what to get,

You might want to get an inexpensive multieffects (MFX) unit of some kind to experiment with. That way, you could fiddle with all kinds of tone tweaking to figure out (roughly) where you want to go.

For most of my years playing electric, I never felt the need for a wah pedal. Then I came up with a song idea that required one. Likewise, I didnt own any octave or pitch shifting pedals for many years. Now I have an octave up fuzz, and octave down fuzz, and a poly-octave generator as part of an EHX Epitome, plus a Morpheus Bomber.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My Grandfather/teacher did not use effects except for the reverb on his amps. As a result I am some what of a novice when it comes to effects. I currently have a compressor/buffer, boost, od, delay, fuzz. If I wanted to expand my board what should my next move be. I also have a MXR blue box that I don't use, I don't like the octave down. I was thinking an octave up or maybe Something like a chorus or phaser. I'm not really sure what the last to do. I have a Fender Supersonic 22, it reverb but no tremolo. Help me please!!

Hi, Sufergirl -

First up, it sounds like you have a lot of Boost/OD effects, including the Compressor and the Blue Box, but no Modulation effects (Chorus, Tremolo, Phaser, Flanger, Rotary). My first thought would be for you to look into some kind of Mod effect, but I'm not sure what kind of sound you're looking for? PM me, if you feel like, I have a few things I'd written up for friends, that might help you decide.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Most of what we do falls into the blues, country and rock. I want to do some Filipino, but my Tagalog is not very good. I spoke some with my great grandma, but I was 10 when she died and nobody else speaks any more.

I should add that we do music from Buddy Holly and Elvis to CCR to Bonnie Raitt and to my latest effort, still a work in progress, Girl Crush by Little Big Town.

Jenny S.

1) could you give us the names of the actual pedals youre using?

2) I think you might be able to find some online Tagalog lessons, and something like that could really be a creative catalyst for you. I can think of several musicians in different genres who have tapped into the wellspring of their heritage to great and lasting effect.

Considering what tunes & artists you've named, I'd say get a delay and a tremolo. A lot of the 50's Buddy Holly & Elvis stuff had slapback echo, so you're gonna want that. Also, John Fogarty used tremolo on some CCR tunes, Born On The Bayou for example. That will serve you nicely. You already have reverb on your amp, so the basic effects you need will be covered by adding those two pedals.

I don't think a chorus or flanger will fit well with the styles you're aiming at, but you might enjoy something like that anyway. A rotary pedal, like a univibe clone or Leslie pedal, might be fun too.

What you ought to do is go down to the biggest music store with the largest inventory of guitar gadgets you can find, and go nuts trying them all out. See what they all do for yourself. It's fun!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I agree with Winston. Sounds like you need a modulation pedal. A good flanger pedal will give you chorus also. 2 in 1. Good luck with your search.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

Speakin' o' modulation effects- surfergirl, I think that you'd really enjoy a good tremolo a LOT. Especially one like the Strymon Flint, which has tremolo AND reverb- three vintage/classic flavors of each- and on many, MANY classic recordings from over the decades, feeding reverb into tremolo so that the reverb is chopped-up is THE CLASSIC SOUND. The Flint would be particularly great connected to your Fender Supersonic 22's effects-loop.

I have a Flint, and I absolutely :love:LOVE :love: it!! Here's a link to a thread I started about it, with more about it and some GREAT demo-video examples...

I'd be surprised if used specimens of the Flint didn't turn up on your islands; and, it's like getting two really great pedals in one, to boot !

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

1) could you give us the names of the actual pedals youre using?

2) I think you might be able to find some online Tagalog lessons, and something like that could really be a creative catalyst for you. I can think of several musicians in different genres who have tapped into the wellspring of their heritage to great and lasting effect.

Boss CS3, MXR micro-amp, Ibanez TS9, MXR carbon copy delay, EHX satisfaction fuzz, MXR blue box.

I think I will take lessons. There are some free lessons, but I think I will try Rosetta Stone. It is $108, for 1 year and my mom wants to learn also, we will split the cost. Maybe I will take a trip there after Duterte is out of office

I got more response than I expected, I promise I will take everything into account.

Now I guess I need a pedal board and power supply. Being an environmentalist I can't believe I still use batteries.

Jenny S.

Boss CS3, MXR micro-amp, Ibanez TS9, MXR carbon copy delay, EHX satisfaction fuzz, MXR blue box.

Seems like a decent board, and the CC is an industry favorite for a reason.

Theres nothing wrong with a TS9. If you like it, keep it,

But there are a host of pedals that have been inspired by that circuit, and some have improved on the original in terms of offering more tone-shaping options. Personally, I have several of those clones. If youre curious, ask.

You might also like the results of pairing your TS9 with something like a Boss BD2 or the very similar Keeley Katana Blues. The Tubescreamer and Boss pairing pops up on a LOT of blues rockers pedalboards,

Being an environmentalist I can't believe I still use batteries.

Be aware, some pedals work better on batteries, some on power supplies. Dont ask me why.

Speakin' o' modulation effects- surfergirl, I think that you'd really enjoy a good tremolo a LOT. Especially one like the Strymon Flint, which has tremolo AND reverb- three vintage/classic flavors of each- and on many, MANY classic recordings from over the decades, feeding reverb into tremolo so that the reverb is chopped-up is THE CLASSIC SOUND. The Flint would be particularly great connected to your Fender Supersonic 22's effects-loop.

I have a Flint, and I absolutely :love:LOVE :love: it!!

Here's a link to a thread I started about it, with more about it and some GREAT demo-video examples...

I'd be surprised if used specimens of the Flint didn't turn up on your islands; and, it's like getting two really great pedals in one, to boot !

I agree Caevan. A tremolo pedal is also a good way to go. I have an Electro Harmonix Pulsar that injects some good fuel to the chain at about half the cost of the Flynt.

I agree Caevan. A tremolo pedal is also a good way to go. I have an Electro Harmonix Pulsar that injects some good fuel to the chain at about half the cost of the Flynt.

Cool pedal, great deal! Though I'll point out that the Flint is like two- almost three, in a way- pedals in one, for its price...

Cool pedal, great deal! Though I'll point out that the Flint is like two- almost three, in a way- pedals in one, for its price...

Absolutely. Point taken. I have an excellent MXR Flanger pedal before the Pulsar.. The two together create magical textures.

Absolutely. Point taken. I have an excellent MXR Flanger pedal before the Pulsar.. The two together create magical textures.

(Myself veering topically-tangentially sideways ;) ) I love stuff like that! I rrreeeaallly enjoy feeding my (Strymon) El Capistan echo into the Flint reverb and tremolo, with the echo-repeats timed to coincide with or rub against tremolo-pulses... :crazy:

I have a bunch of nutty crap. Some play well together, some do not.

But experimenting is fun!

(Myself going even further sideways- or izzitt?! ;) ) I love stuff like that! Maybe even 'happy accidents' resulting from those pedals that 'don't play well together'. :crazy:

I will have some fun trying different pedals, but I do want to keep my board fairly simple. Hoping to tryout a VooDoo Labs tremolo if GC has one in stock when I get there.

Have fun! :rawk::wave:

@surfergirl - Here's a link to all the Used Pedalboards currently on the GC website. It's worth finding out if your new GC will order used gear from mainland stores for you, as you can save some serious $$$ this way. I would strongly suggest that you avoid the powered pedalboards from SKB, as we heard many reports of the power supplies failing.

Used pedalboards at Guitar Center

I use Pedaltrain boards - they're durable, they're neither the most expensive, nor the cheapest, and you can mount a good power supply under most of them. Some of the used ones listed here are at bargain basement prices, even with HSC's. (There's a PT-1 with a HSC for $90 that I'm tempted to order.)

For power supplies, look at Voodoo Labs and Truetone. Voodoo Labs has true Isolated power, Truetone doesn't but with your current pedal array, a Truetone CS7 will power everything you have right now, a CS12 will give you room to expand.

If you really want to save $$$ on a functional, if not high-tech pedalboard, try this for under $20US. Ikea Hejne shelf unit

No joke, a lot of players use these, or the discontinued GORM shelves. I have two as standbys, just in case. It doesn't hurt to add some wood glue, all around, where the slats connect to the frame, makes them a little sturdier. Sand them lightly if you want to spray-paint them, or cover them with fun contact paper, get a $30 roll of 2-inch industrial Velcro, and add some screw-on rubber feet. It'll save you a lot $$$ towards a good power supply.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

I will check to see if they ship used effects and other stuff, I know they ship new gear. Thanks for the tips on pedalboards and power supplies.

My local store carries pedaltrain and Voodoo labs.

Glad to help. While I was looking over your pedals, it occurred to me that everything you have right now is Analog, with low current draw. You could probably power everything with a daisy-chain like the 1 Spot Combo Pack, for a lot less $$$. Sweetwater has it for $30, GC for $38? GC should definitely have the 1 Spot Combo Pack in stock, it's a big seller.

1 Spot Combo Pack (daisy-chain)

You could probably power everything with a daisy-chain like the 1 Spot Combo Pack, for a lot less $$$. Sweetwater has it for $30, GC for $38? GC should definitely have the 1 Spot Combo Pack in stock, it's a big seller.

1 Spot Combo Pack (daisy-chain)

Plus one on the 1 spot combo pack mentioned above, I use one daily and have been doing so for several years.

I'll third that! :rawk:

I love the 1 Spot Combo Pack; WHAT A DEAL. It's a great bang-for-the-buck pedal power-supply solution. I'm still using mine for a number of the pedals that I place between my guitar and the amp, and have been for quite a few years now. I've been very pleased with the 1 Spot.

Some of my more 'sensitive'/noise-issue prone pedals, as well as those that simply draw a lot of current or require a different voltage or polarity, get fed from either the four outputs of my Voodoo Lab Pedal Power "DIGITAL" power-supply (also very HIGHLY recommended), or separate voltage/polarity-specific individual power-supplies; primarily pedals that I connect via the amp's effects-loop. (Some troublemakers occasionally get batteries, but rarely.)

+4 The 1 Spot is a great dependable product at a great price (about $20 bucks) that comes with the adapters and cable to daisy chain at least 5 9volt DC pedals. No noise problems and you avoid battery failures. An optional 8 daisy chain cable is also available... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I will definitely get the 1 spot, the one that takes 8 pedals. I have 5 I use now and think I will add a Voodoo labs tremolo. I may add more in the future, but for now i think that is it. Although a Wampler ace thirty or thirty something have caught my eye.
Jenny S.