Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

K&M Spider Pro Experiances?

I have gigged the Baby Spider Pro since 2011 with no problems or issues. There is more wobble than a table stand (like the WS550), but I've never found it disconcerting or annoying. Most non-table stands I've used introduce some level of wobble - The USS V-Stand was similar in that regard.

At 5'6", I use the Baby Spider Pro for standing use (and perch the rear of my Nord Wave on the center column), and have repeatedly gotten compliments on the "look" of the solution over the years. I also use it for seated use (the shorter column of the Baby is useful for that) and as such it is my go to stand that has been in constant use, 4-7 days a week, about 40 weeks a year.

For pedals, I use a 1 x 5 strip of non-slip floor mat, stuck under the two rear legs (the two legs closest to me. Velcro hooks on the bottom of the pedals keep them securely in place, and packs into the stand bag.

Speaking of stand bags, I very quickly shredded through the K&M bag for the Baby Spider Pro which seemed pretty poorly made. I've ended up having a Studio Slips bag made, which has made my schlep much nicer. Something to think about.

I've done gaffer's tape over the lettering as well, and additionally marked the optimal height of the lower arms as well...but I purchased the stand in anodized black aluminum, so at stage distance no one's the wiser.

Yeah I'll have to sort something similar out for the pedals.

I'm thinking maybe a black bit of wood, pedals all attached with heavy duty Velcro (is velcroed a word?) and then some how sort it so it doesn't move.

After that I plan to creat some kind of box or case that I can house 2 DI boxes, mic split box, small mixer, and have holes drilled out for the cable jacks and painted stage black so you don't notice it.

That's the one good thing about my setup is that you can't see any mess, but with the Spider I don't want cables and Di boxes and all over the place.

Maybe I could somehow marry them both into one thing to carry and have underneath and it'll just look like cables going into a box then less cables out.

It's strange , if I see a band I couldn't care less if the keyboard player has a messy rig with cables all over the place - it's rock n roll right!, but I am just Incable of just throwing it together and not bothering tidying it all up so we look a bit more pro... But then again pros don't go to these lengths do they. I'm odd I think maybe.

Funny thing is I love relic basses, I love beat up look of a bass with paint off and an amp that's got leather ripped off etc as it just seems cooler , but with my keyboard I want that rig tidy and clean :)

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...
just got one (spider pro) and returning it - had legs on a flat stable surface, but my PC1x still bounced like a see-saw on the bottom arms when playing .. very annoying ...

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

Hehe, old thread and I see I was thinking earlier about getting one of these :) Well, I did (the silver one, when it was $249) and it's my favorite stand I've ever owned.

If it matters to anyone, you may get more compliments on this stand than you do on your keyboards, which is a bit irritating :) For me, I just like that it is very practical and easy to transport. I haven't used it with a big weighted keyboard, just 61-key, and haven't had any stability issues.

I've had two minor issues. One is that the rubber on one of the arms has gotten caught a couple times inside the stand--I think this started when I stupidly left it in a hot car all day, and it may have softened/expanded...

The second issue is the mic stand adapter. I have tried a few things with it: replaced the adapter part with a metal one, but the big issue is that my boom tends to take it right off, and then the only thing left holding the bolt on is the rubber washer...if it falls down, you have to take 5 long screws out of the top and turn the thing upside down. I think I've got it licked now though, thanks to help from my handy drummer :) I put a new bolt through the top (not too long, or the folded arms will be the way) with a nut both below and above the plate. Then, my drummer had a mic adapter that went over the bolt and had a male 5/8 threaded end, so that my boom could screw on. Before, I had the small adapter inside the boom that went on the bolt. The advantage is that this is a larger adapter to help hold the heavy boom on, and it feels more secure. Not sure that makes sense typed out, I can take a pic or two if anyone is struggling with this. No doubt a handy person might improve upon it :)

I'm keeping an eye out for a sale on speaker stand bags that might fit it. The K&M bag is very thin and mine already has a small hole after 40 gigs or so and I am very careful with it.

Try one of the on stage padded speaker stand bags like the one below. I've been using one for 5 years now and it's great. Baggy enough for a quick and easy pack down after a gig, yet taught and padded enough to properly protect your beloved K&M Spider Pro.

Speaking of which, I have 3 Spider Pro's - one in silver that I bought in 2013 and use for gigging, a silver baby spider pro for lounge piano gigs, and a black Spider Pro with 4 tiers for the studio.

They're brilliant stands.

https://on-stage.com/products/view/35543

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

Yes, please post some pics. I gave up on trying to put a boom arm on it.

Not sure that makes sense typed out, I can take a pic or two if anyone is struggling with this. No doubt a handy person might improve upon it :)

Whoops, I missed this. I'll try to remember tonight.

What I have is an improvement, but not perfect. Mainly the issue now is the plastic plate, and I didn't follow the link but I think someone may have posted the metal adapter that they sell that goes under/over it. It's basically a metal version of the top plastic plate, same screw holes in it. But it's expensive and I'm cheap :) Our bass player said he'd cut one for nothing that would fit it, that's what I call being handy (nice to know such people). I may be ok with the plastic one, it has a bit of "bob" to it since it's not as rigid as the metal would be-- but the main issue I had was the adapter and the nut that would fall down.

Pictures will make more sense lol!