Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: new Mac Pro

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I didn't like the looks of it, but a) I guess most people won't see it under a desk and 2) there will be a rack mount version and no one will see that either.

But the power of that seems cRAzY and even better, they had "David" (I forgot his last name, but he's done a ton of videos on YT about Logic) demo a new version of Logic running a ridiculous amount of tracks "because we can." :w00t:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I bought my Mac Pro 12 core machine back in 2013 when I abandoned Windows.

Since then the demand for those 12 core machines has been crazy. Used market value is almost the same as what they cost NEW. I've NEVER seen that on a used computer.

About damn time Apple started making a serious machine again.

After my frustrations with Windows I have no regrets jumping ship to OSX.

About damn time Apple started making a serious machine again.
Looking at all they put into this new Mac Pro, it's not surprising that it took them over two full years from when they announced they were doing this project until now. That doesn't include how much work they had done on it before they decided to tell us, "we are not abandoning the pro market, but we'll be a minute or a million."

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My Cinema Display crapped out last year. Apparently a common occurrence so I'm hesitant about buying Apple displays. Instead of fixing it, I bought a 3rd party display. Same resolution and some extra USB ports, but no internal speakers. I don't miss the speakers.

they had "David" (I forgot his last name, but he's done a ton of videos on YT about Logic)
David Earl, aka sfLogicNinja. I remember seeing that Apple hired him a while back, so it was cool to see him onstage pushing Logic.

I appreciate how they prioritized function over form this time around, love that it can be rack-mounted, love that it can be had with wheels.

And how about this blurb from their Design page:

A single entry point wasnt enough. Remove the aluminum housing and you have total access to the system. The logic board is dual-sided, making it easy to add and remove components. Processor, graphics, and expansion on one side. Storage and memory on the other. Mac Pro is ready for customization when you are.

When was the last time Apple touted customization?!?

I just wish the entry point was $2K lower. I guess they're directing me towards a maxed out Mini.

Unless you're Hans Zimmer running twenty instances of Kontakt with full orchestras of hundreds of articulations at a buffer setting of 4 samples, chances are a Mini will do just fine  or an iMac Pro if you really need the juice. This computer is aimed at the video editing crowd, I think.

Ok, so $11K for the entry level with their new monitor. How much for the maxed out version with all the bells and whistles?

Well, the new monitor is a very special item, for video/photo professional that really need it; i doubt 1000nits and extreme HDR are of any use for music :->.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

$11K for the entry level with their new monitor. How much for the maxed out version with all the bells and whistles?

The choice comes down to a Mac Mini or an investment surpassing the cost of a Mini Cooper.

I love the Minis but their weakest link for me is the graphics capability.

"fugly" Apple holds records at both ends of the spectrum. They have produced elegant beauty that everyone is attempting to emulate, some to great success. They have also produced crazy ideas like that white desk lamp looking thing and the television set looking iMacs.

I'm running a nicely spec'd Mac mini with a Thunderbolt 3 eGPU. Adding the eGPU made FCPX run as well as it runs on my Mac Book Pro (which is fairly loaded).

I haven't had any issues with apps (including Logic) and the eGPU. My total cost was 1/2 of the new Mac Pro cost (already had the display and external TB drive array). It is a serious option if the new Mac Pro is overkill.

"Inspiration is not a choice, it's got to search you out..." - Jason Falkner

Kurzweils, some oldie but goodie stuff from Yamaha/Korg, and soft-synths that I've barely explored.

Ok, so $11K for the entry level with their new monitor. How much for the maxed out version with all the bells and whistles?

Well, the new monitor is a very special item, for video/photo professional that really need it; i doubt 1000nits and extreme HDR are of any use for music :->.

Maurizio

Yes, but the question was if any body knew the price tag for a fully loaded system.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

$11K for the entry level with their new monitor. How much for the maxed out version with all the bells and whistles?

The choice comes down to a Mac Mini or an investment surpassing the cost of a Mini Cooper....

I agree with all that, but...

Its a monster. 28 cores, 56 threads... 5.1x more amp designer plugins.

https://www.wired.com/story/apple-mac-pro-2019/

One of the computer geek sites said fully loaded it is around $50,000. My old cheese grater Mac Pro wasn't max'd out ,but close and it was about the price of the entry level of the new Mac Pro. Apple pricing has gone nuts, only Apple would release a $5000 monitor and want another $1000 for the stand.

I liked it better when Logic and Final Cut was expense and the computers were cheaper. Then Apple said they were going to kill off Logic due to high R&D cost, but then realized how much hardware sales Logic and Final Cut generate, so they dropped the price of the software and been increasing the hardware costs continually. No wonder smaller studios are running Hackintoshes now.

You'd think there was a middle ground between

macbook "pros" which are ultra-razor-thin with crappy keybeds (so that business flyers with noodly arms can have them on-hand to show their dashboards off)

and

this ultra-expensive, ultra-powerful beastie.

I guess my beef is with the macbook "pros", not picking on this thing even though no way I will ever be able to own it.

One of the computer geek sites said fully loaded it is around $50,000. My old cheese grater Mac Pro wasn't max'd out ,but close and it was about the price of the entry level of the new Mac Pro. Apple pricing has gone nuts, only Apple would release a $5000 monitor and want another $1000 for the stand.

I liked it better when Logic and Final Cut was expense and the computers were cheaper. Then Apple said they were going to kill off Logic due to high R&D cost, but then realized how much hardware sales Logic and Final Cut generate, so they dropped the price of the software and been increasing the hardware costs continually. No wonder smaller studios are running Hackintoshes now.

Considering how Apple gets to charge top $, that's to be expected.

macbook "pros" which are ultra-razor-thin with crappy keybeds (so that business flyers with noodly arms can have them on-hand to show their dashboards off)

I guess my beef is with the macbook "pros", not picking on this thing even though no way I will ever be able to own it.

I was waiting for your "I hate MacBook Pro" post :) :)

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

These are Xeon based pro machines. For businesses and educational institutions that make money or for hobbyists that are making money elsewhere. I still wish Apple would put out an customizable/upgradeable tower based on Core i processors that start in the sub $2k area. Perfect for audio and video dabblers. But they dont. Thats what the Mini, Mac Book Pro and iMacs are for. So although Im well impressed with this new design. It wont getting pre-ordered.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I was waiting for your "I hate MacBook Pro" post :) :)

lol yeah talking with two people at work riled me up again...these are die-hard mac developers/sysadmins and they are more angry than I am over the ergonomics. I'll try to refrain from beating the dead horse again!

I do like Apple, which is why I get mad at their recent (IMO) missteps. To be fair I love my macbook pro as long as I have a usb keyboard and mouse plugged in. A desktop would make sense (other than possibly noise in the room) but frankly I haven't even really taxed the power of the laptop in Logic just yet.

Anyway don't want to derail talk about this desktop further.

Though I own an old MacBook pro and have used Macs for years, I don't consider myself an Apple apologist or fanboy I was even considering switching platforms a while ago. Still, I can't help noticing that this pattern of of Apple releasing new products followed by the torrent of hate and general complaints is very familiar. Happens every time! You'd think the company would be in Chapter 11 by now. From what I've seen, this new computer is in a completely different league than anything a KC forum member would ever need. This article provides some perspective, I think:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/06/04/editorial-the-new-mac-pro-is-overkill-for-nearly-everybody-and-it-hit-apples-own-target

I'm running a nicely spec'd Mac mini with a Thunderbolt 3 eGPU. Adding the eGPU made FCPX run as well as it runs on my Mac Book Pro (which is fairly loaded).

I haven't had any issues with apps (including Logic) and the eGPU. My total cost was 1/2 of the new Mac Pro cost (already had the display and external TB drive array). It is a serious option if the new Mac Pro is overkill.

I still have an older Mac Mini. I have loved it. I had to upgrade to something to run certain software and it was not going to be a Windows system. I built a Hackintosh. Now that Apple has these new Mini's I will consider what you are doing. I do not want to have to go the Hackintosh route. The Mac Pros are overkill for my application.

The higher end new Mac Pro models are really marketed for companies like Lucafilms, Disney, etc. - companies that need to be able to make 4K (and possibly 8K) movies with a very powerful system; and for scientific/high end business use.

Someone like Lucasfilms can easily afford a $50K computer, if it expedites the process of making a film that they expect to gross half a billion $$.

Kind of an extension of high end workstations and VERY competitive. HP workstations in the Z800 series can easily run up to $20K and above. For the applications that are run, and the power they generate, well worth the money.

Probably will be a few VERY rich gamers also that want an ultimate gaming computer.

The idea of a more expandable version of Logic is also nice.

I really don't know of any competitive machine in the Windows world, although there are some Unix machines that may be well up there. Things that do surprise me - why stop with a single Xeon with 28 cores instead of a pair of Xeons. Why no more internal storage (I mean, really with the possibility of 1.5 Terabytes of RAM, one would think of maybe 100 TB of internal drive storage, although at present that would require a larger chassis. Besides, can probably be handles with external storage and Thunderbolt 3.

I've had some servers in my business that had dual 900 watt power supplies (redundant), but nothing with 1.5KW.

All in all, a pretty good line up - for those wanting a "pro" machine at a lower price point and lower performance, the iMac Pro should suffice. For my own needs and budget, I'll likely stay with the 2011 MBP as long as it will run.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim