Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mixer question

I'm sure a lot of you gearhounds have the same problem as me...well, this particular problem anyway.

As software slowly takes over my home studio, I find that I'm using my rack synths less and less. The problem is that I'm out of mixer channels, and if it's not plugged in, it's certainly not going to be in the flurry of actually creating something.

I use two Mackie 1604 VLZs with a MixerMixer (for you youngsters, the MM is a summing box so the two mixers act like one). So that gives me 32 discrete channels, but they take up a lot of room.

Does anyone have a solution for more than 32 channels that is rack mountable, super clean, and easy to use? I definitely need in line eq per channel. I haven't thought about this in a long time since it has worked so well up to now. Thanks.

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You likely aren't going to use them all at once, right? So how about go old school and get yourself a patch bay?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

A Behringer X32 Rack, plus an SD16 input expander, plus a laptop, could do the trick if you're not averse to computer-based mixing. Expect to spend around $2000 US to do that in mid 2019.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

...plus a laptop...

This is for home studio, presumably he can just use the same computer as his DAW - no need for a laptop.

Another route you could go is to do everything in the computer. You can get a MOTU 48x24 audio interface for $995 as an example (there are plenty of options out there)

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

...plus a laptop...

This is for home studio, presumably he can just use the same computer as his DAW - no need for a laptop.

Another route you could go is to do everything in the computer. You can get a MOTU 48x24 audio interface for $995 as an example (there are plenty of options out there)

I do something similar to this, albeit with fewer channels. I have a stereo, 10-channel rack line mixer going into an UltraLite-mk4. That allows me to submix some keyboards/modules, and directly mix the most important hardware keys, two live vocals, and fretted instruments. The main mix is handled on the computer, using the UltraLite-mk4 Mixer software. Also, mixing can be done on a separate laptop, tablet or smartphone.

You could do a larger version of that, using a pair of MOTU 16As (with the optical expansion ports). Like the UltraLite-mk4, there is mixing software for the 16A. The routing grid that integrates audio and computer inputs is very cool. It allows everything recordable to be mixed seamlessly. This has been my first time using MOTU gear and app-based mixing. So far, so good.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

There are various analogue and digital mixer combination options (one mixer combining with another or driving a strip on another). It depends very much on what you consider "mixing". Just adding keyboard (line, possibly balanced) inputs together isn't the same as having "mix" requirements like effects, sub busses, effects per strip, etc etc.

You likely aren't going to use them all at once, right? So how about go old school and get yourself a patch bay?

I like your thinking, sir, but this is what I do now since my 32 channels doesn't cut it. And really, I'm just trying to justify keeping all my old rack synths. It's not like I have racks of vintage treasures, and I don't know that anything in a Proteus or a Kawai XD-5, for example, is going to be better than a much more convenient plug in.

I'll have to re-explore the Behringer for studio use. I've seen it as a really nice live solution, but I haven't really considered it for studio work. I'll have to look at the specs.

Thanks for all the input, everyone.

"For instance" is not proof.

A Behringer X32 Rack, plus an SD16 input expander, plus a laptop, could do the trick...

This works great for me. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"