Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Change AEB strings

I've always changes strings and setup my own electric basses and guitars. But not anynreal experience with acoustics. I have an AEB - specifically a 4-string Michael Kelly. The strings are in dire need of changing and I have a gig coming up at calls for it. Should I take it to somebody or is this an easy procedure without risk of damage for a novice like me? I guess after loosening the tension with the tuners, you just pull the bridge pins? Will I need to get a bridge pin puller or is it relatively easy without one?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Yeah, like Lug said.

Also, if you're planning on playing the MK thru an amp or PA, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting a soundhole cover to minimize the incredible amount of feedback this AEB can produce. It's a common problem with pretty much all AEBs - the nature of the beast. I use the D'Addario (see link below) and it really helped when going thru a standard PA. The feedback issue was negated when using a Bose L1 line-array as the instrument/vocal PA for an acoustic trio I was in so I didn't need it in that scenario, but when playing in any other configuration, the guitar body falls victim to big resonance. That doesn't play well with standard speakers or monitors.

Seriously, get one before the gig just in case. If you find you don't need it, you can always take it back. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Play. Just play.

I've actually played out with it quite a bit through a PA - even did some festival sized stuff. FOH hasn't been a problem but I can't turn my monitor up as much as I like (I run direct). It was always the same frequency - basically the 12th fret harmonic of the A string. In the past I've been able to EQ it out, but I should probably try a soundhole cover.

BTW - that link is to Jackson 5 "I Want You Back". I listened closely to the lyrics, but didn't hear them sing anything about a D'Adario soundhold cover.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Damn - I was posting on the Book of Face about riffing on that bassline at the last gig. Note to self: always preview.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-planet-waves-screaching-halt-guitar-soundhole-plug?rNtt=daddario%20soundhole%20cover&index=1

Although, if you play the Soul Train version of 'I Want You Back' and isolate the 7th track and play it backwards at half-speed, you can clearly hear Don Cornelius say something completely unintelligible.

Coincidence?

I think NOT!

Play. Just play.

I'm not in a position where I can watch/listen to videos at the moment, so maybe this is already covered, but be aware that AEB's are far more sensitive to string tension changes than most other instruments, so unless you are using the EXACT same strings as before, you may have some intonation issues over the short term, and might need to down-tune a bit when not playing (in case there's too much tension going on until some setup adjustments are made).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

So back in the late 70's, my guitar teacher (serious cat: musical director for TOny Orlando, Cher, Lou Rawls, and actually fired Jaco from the the Lou Rawls band for not playing what was in the book) took a Gibson 335 and sprayed it full of foam so it wouldn't feed back on stage. I'll bet he'd have rather shelled out the $8 at the time (adjusted negatively for inflation, of course) for that somesuch piece of rubber.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.