Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The lack of aesthetics in keyboards and accessories.

Here's the deal: It's whatever you want it to be.

In my rock band setting, people like my AX-90, or my homemade rotating stand (a la Lawrence Gowan of Styx) Or my Red PX5S like Jon Cain's old "Whale"

We also have our own light show. (when not provide by house)

The important factor is we back up the visual with the aural.

We worked very hard to get the music down before we began putting the entire package together.

In the local band/tribute band market out here, it's the extra things you bring that keep you hired at place from the corner dive to House of Blues.

People coming to our show are coming to escape (no pun) for a bit. As one club owner told me, the good tribute bands are an event. It's also why we don't play the same place less then 3 months apart...you burn out the brand.

As many of you have followed along with my gear exploits,you know that all of my customization is done because I like it.

When I sit in with some local blues band, or things like that, I usually just have my Roland DS-88 and a good piano bench...

The rig I bring is based on venue and type of show. Heck, I sometimes will bring a different stand to three consecutive shows simply because I am A.D.D. and it's a bit of a game with the rest of the band to guess what stand I bring tonight :)

We found a formula that works.

Lastly....don't take any of this too seriously. We get to play music, and to me that means I am having fun and getting paid.

Yes, I have just as much fun at a coffeehouse one man, one board gig, as I do running around the big stage with my wireless keytar. I am making people happy for awhile thru music.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Keytar aesthetics -- The AX-Synth was much more, um, grownup looking, handsome enough that audience members actually called it cool.

http://www.airnetworking.com/Pictures/AX-Synth.jpg

I moved to the AX-Edge, with its silly Klingon Weapon styling and length comparable to a full piano 88 keys, only because its controllers -- the part that makes the sound emotional -- blow away the AX-Synth by a mile (or 1.6 km).

http://www.airnetworking.com/Pictures/AX-Edge.jpg

Happily, audiences seem to like both of them as long as I play interesting stuff.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

In the keytar world, I still prefer the look of the Roland AX-7, which I fortunately own along with a CME WIDI wireless MIDI interface that works like a champ.

ax_7_top_main.jpg

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Well, so many things to say. To each his own. Some say an artist should care about every artistic aspect of their product, others don't care. I personally put thought into what clothes I wear, what things I place in my home, etc. and I care greatly what the visual presentation of my (otherwise aural) art communicates.

I think the tools should mostly disappear. Since they can't, they should be non-distracting, and/or attractive. I go for unobtrusive, keeping everything black and organized. I love the Nord line, but don't want a big red slab on my stand. If Nord were the only way to get the sounds I need, i'd use it, but given the choice, I choose the unit that is non-flashy and calm. When I see someone playing and their gear is ratty, with orange extension cords and a chaotic setup, it diminishes my appreciation of the performance. Personal taste, I guess. I prever Monet to tacky spray painted murals.

Also, the kind of high-paying jobs I want dictate a tasteful, discreet setup. I cover the logos on all my gear because it's just visual clutter, why distract my audience from the music? I seek to have audients that care about the visual aspect.

So, having fed my family, paid my mortgages, etc. for the last 45 years playing gigs, my advice (I realize no one asked for it) is if you want better paying gigs, keep your rig looking like you care.

Well, so many things to say. To each his own. Some say an artist should care about every artistic aspect of their product, others don't care. I personally put thought into what clothes I wear, what things I place in my home, etc. and I care greatly what the visual presentation of my (otherwise aural) art communicates.

I think the tools should mostly disappear. Since they can't, they should be non-distracting, and/or attractive. I go for unobtrusive, keeping everything black and organized. I love the Nord line, but don't want a big red slab on my stand. If Nord were the only way to get the sounds I need, i'd use it, but given the choice, I choose the unit that is non-flashy and calm. When I see someone playing and their gear is ratty, with orange extension cords and a chaotic setup, it diminishes my appreciation of the performance. Personal taste, I guess. I prever Monet to tacky spray painted murals.

Also, the kind of high-paying jobs I want dictate a tasteful, discreet setup. I cover the logos on all my gear because it's just visual clutter, why distract my audience from the music? I seek to have audients that care about the visual aspect.

So, having fed my family, paid my mortgages, etc. for the last 45 years playing gigs, my advice (I realize no one asked for it) is if you want better paying gigs, keep your rig looking like you care.

I have to say I 100% agree and this is good advice.

I think what's most important is for the entire band to have a clean, cohesive look, and let the production folks do the job of directing the audience attention as needed. Along those lines, bad lighting can be distracting as well. The light show shouldn't be the focus, it should put focus on the band.

Following is a shot of a band I fill in with from time to time:

http://www.ohbrotherstl.com/Pics/HToads.jpg

My black Apex, black Kronos, and Black A70 don't draw attention, but I think they fit in with the environment. When I play solos at that gig, they have a follow spot that goes on me as well as the other lighting (same as if another player solos). In my opinion, if one of those keyboards was red, it wouldn't improve the aesthetic, it would be distracting.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I remain unconvinced that 99.99% of the audience cares what colour a keyboard is or whether the stand its on is X or column shaped. Sorry gang, I just dont think theyre checking out your Ultimate Apex and your brushed aluminium as much as you think they are. Demeanour, clothing, stage dressing, lighting are far more attention-grabbing considerations to the folks I interact with.

I'd say it's worse than that... 99.99% of the audience doesn't look past the lead singer and guitarist. So unless you're also doing lead singing, it doesn't matter much. Hence the keytar.

Speaking of which, I agree with what Tom and Dan were basically saying... the AX-Edge is the ugliest keytar ever made by Roland (and possibly by anyone). But also the most functional. I did two gigs with mine this month.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

As a fellow stander albeit considerably inferior player, Ive always admired Dereks tilted keyboard stands from an ergonomic perspective.

Since were discussing aesthetics, Ill add that I really like the way they look too. Although Im sure thats not a universally held opinion.

I'd like to see more flat-top, front-paneled keyboards, for aesthetics, for functionality, for all that's good about humanity.

I agree with this aesthetic. Granted, I've pretty much given up putting in the effort to hustle jobs and play out these days, but I think the simple, trim, flat keyboard (for me, one on top, one on bottom is all I've ever needed, you know, ignoring all the other gear needed for the moment) is just perfect.

Looks neat, professional: I assume the audience doesn't actually want to be distracted by a bunch of flash-looking gear.

I know it sure distracts me to see a bunch of tiny keyboards MIDI'ed up, and with all the flashy designs and the wedge-shaped workstation-type boards.

But, as other people have said above, that doesn't preclude actually putting effort in other parts of your stage appearance. Maybe you don't need to put on a Billy Preston wig and wear a cape, especially if you don't sing lead, but, still, there's a little bit of an art to dressing for the job, whatever style that might be.

You know, just show up looking the part, like you mean business. Which it is, even if one's a weekend warrior or a last-minute sub, or even maybe just showing up to an open jam playing on someone else's gear (you never know how many tunes they'll give you, you know, or how it can effect your reputation).

In a way it's like buying clothes: classic pieces are never going to go out of fashion, and, for me, my brain isn't tuned to want to think beyond the simplest and most classic or traditional. Too much other stuff to think about.

For stands? I love the Quiklok WS-550. It's heavy and not very compact to carry, but it's basic black, and I don't think you could break it even if you tried.