Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Death of iTunes!

Apple Is Finally Killing iTunes

Here's hoping whatever they replace it with is BETTER not worse. I am skeptical though.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It can't get much worse, though. It was great at one time, but it has become a bloated and un-intuitive POS. For me, however, the problem is mostly with Apple's terrible search, but that's not necessarily an iTunes problem.

Logically, they'd break it up in different apps like on iOS: Music, Podcasts etc.

I do hope they create a separate for syncing iOS devices, though. It could just be called 'Devices'.

Another rumor is Apple is planning to kill off music sales by 2021, and go all in on subscription-only. It's a natural progression, but I'd better get to keep everything I have bought off iTunes over the years.

That's not good. All my recordings and cd lists are in iTunes. Not to mention I use it all the time for my own stuff. I suppose iTunes gift cards are shot then? Better find mine.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Itunes is one of the many reasons why I left apple. Everything about it is horrible. I could not contemplate ever purchasing an apple product if it meant reentering that particular chamber or horrors, so this must be a good business move for them.
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Most of the clutter was removed from iTunes a few updates ago.

If we go only to streaming, there goes new music for anyone without super-fast in-city internet.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Ive been in the habit of removing iTunes from every OS since at least 2008(?) when things like synching and genius idiocy got in the way of just downloading and playing tunes I needed to learn for gigs and not being able to move them in the order I wanted to list them, without some manoeuvres I cant even remember now. Somehow everything got too automated and incomprehensibly messy, and that was enough for me. Good riddance.

Here for the gear.

I've yet to meet a single person in real life who actually likes iTunes. I mean iTunes as an application for managing music library, and transferring stuff between devices. I just hated it. I always had compatibility issues.
www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

I like iTunes. It does a great job of organizing my music. I hate to think of the trouble I may have to go to migrate all that stuff to a new platform.

I'm not fond of using it to sync with iOS devices, but I like its layout and playlist features. I also use it to stream radio while listening to Apple's GPS instructions.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

The outstanding iTunes thing in my mind is the quality of the sound. I have detested 99% of DSP since it started showing up in devices and software in the 90's. But Apple continues to do some things better than anyone.

Perhaps "DSP" is not the accurate label identifying what I am thinking of. In iTunes it is called Sound Enhancer. DSP may cover a broader range of techniques than I am thinking of. But I hear that cheap sounding enhancement I am thinking of in TV's, sound systems, headphone amps, and I have heard it applied to live recordings (for instance, the most recent Genesis tour.....just destroyed the beauty of the bass pedals).

Apple definitely has deteriorated their superior status though. Yet there is still a lot of room between them and alternatives. It would be a cold day in Hell before I would give up Apple/Mac/OSX and switch over to Windows.

It can't get much worse, though. It was great at one time

Nah, it was never great. ;-) But it did continuously get worse!

I do hope they create a separate for syncing iOS devices, though. It could just be called 'Devices'.

It's a good idea, but I'm not optimistic. They actually removed a lot of Device functionality from itunes a while back. The third party util imazing helps.

Another rumor is Apple is planning to kill off music sales by 2021, and go all in on subscription-only. It's a natural progression

I suppose things may continue to move that way, but it would be unfortunate to see the loss of another way an artist can possibly make money from their recordings. A single song purchase/download makes you about the same as 750 streams of that song. Maybe fewer people download songs these days, but those who do probably won't stream your song 750 times instead, so net loss there.

but I'd better get to keep everything I have bought off iTunes over the years.

All my recordings and cd lists are in iTunes. Not to mention I use it all the time for my own stuff. I suppose iTunes gift cards are shot then? Better find mine.

For music, Apple ended DRM ten years ago, so that stuff already plays in anything, though you'd need a util to convert the older tracks. But I would assume that Apple's replacement music and video playing apps will be compatible with everything you have in iTunes today, just as their non-iTunes-branded iOS apps are. And I can't imagine they won't let you continue to buy music/videos with iTunes gift cards, even if they don't call the app iTunes anymore.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Long ago, I got committed to the ecosystem. When iTunes was first introduced, I thought it was plainly better than anything else available. After that, it never seemed worth it to make a change.

My fear is that we get to the point when streaming with a subscription service is the only thing available. I love having my own music library with me, ready regardless of wifi. And I get a lot of value from repeated listening of my own library, which is pretty vast anyway.

That's not good. All my recordings and cd lists are in iTunes. Not to mention I use it all the time for my own stuff. I suppose iTunes gift cards are shot then? Better find mine.

Same boat. Not surprised to read negative opinions of it here.

Being a mac person, it was normal to go to it in 2001.

I don't expect an app to be perfect and I adapted to its idiosyncracies.

Yeah, like you, all my originals are on it. I have burnt 100's of CD's of my material

using iTunes.

And I backed up a few hundred CD's on it, and made a digital copy for casual use.

Way to easy to scratch CD's.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I like iTunes as well. No, it's not perfect. And, a caveat, I use it strictly as a storage medium for CD's I've ripped in- I have purchased less than a handful of songs through the Apple store. But:

It allows me to have all my music stored in one central location on my PC.

It allows me to hook up my PC, via ethernet, to my main stereo system in my living room via an Apple Airport Express.

It allows me to call up any song or playlist via my Android phone running a remote app to play back through said stereo.

It allows me to seamlessly sync with an iPod Touch, automatically reducing the bit rate as it does, to carry most all of my tunes into the car or to the gym or wherever.

Yes, I know Spotify and the like offers most of the same, but I have a system centered around iTunes that works for me and I'm comfortable with.

I use iTunes on my PC to hook up my iPad and iTouch. When I had an iPhone it also hooked up. I also burn my CD's then transfer. I also accept iTunes will store all my MP3's in its sub-folder. I never purchased any music from iTunes.

Immediately thought what I will do without iTunes?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I use iTunes on my PC to hook up my iPad and iTouch. When I had an iPhone it also hooked up. I also burn my CD's then transfer. I also accept iTunes will store all my MP3's in its sub-folder. I never purchased any music from iTunes.

You bring up an interesting point. All these rumors about the iTunes app going away have been talking about on the Mac. I haven't noticed anything mention what they are doing on PCs.

Generally speaking, I'm sure the new Music app for Mac will continue to play the same music the iTunes app did, just like the Music app for iOS plays that same music. All this will do is make the Mac experience more similar to the iOS experience, where you have Music, Podcasts, TV, and possibly even an iTunes Store app, just like on iOS.

If you wait until next week, we will get our answers from Apple, and the new stuff probably won't be out until autumn.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Two things:

The iTunes you have isn't being taken away as far as I know. For the use you described, you should be able to continue to use it indefinitely (as will I). Or does iTunes have some tie into Apple HQ-- i.e. phoning home-- whereby Apple could choose to make it non-functional as a stand-alone application?

There are numerous competitors that offer more or less the same set of features. I haven't look at them in some time, but they're out there. In addition, with the demise of iTunes, more are likely to enter the market.

Two things:

The iTunes you have isn't being taken away as far as I know. For the use you described, you should be able to continue to use it indefinitely (as will I). Or does iTunes have some tie into Apple HQ-- i.e. phoning home-- whereby Apple could choose to make it non-functional as a stand-alone application?

There are numerous competitors that offer more or less the same set of features. I haven't look at them in some time, but they're out there. In addition, with the demise of iTunes, more are likely to enter the market.

Thats what I was thinking- iTunes the app will stay around on my desktop and other Apple devices. Apple will stop supporting it is my guess.

For example, I would be disappointed if Apple ripped iTunes off the cloud and all my libraries got trashed. Not suggesting Apple will do this.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I have an older MBP that will not support anything past El Capitan that I use to back up my iPhone and iPad. Hopefully it doesn't somehow end up getting nuked since I won't be able to upgrade to anything new, I'm sure.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

legacy editions of iTunes are still available online, and that's all I use anyway -- to avoid the bloatware of later editions, and because all I needed was a way of managing my 120GB iPod. If anyone knows of another free program that does that better, I'm interested.

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!

legacy editions of iTunes are still available online, and that's all I use anyway -- to avoid the bloatware of later editions, and because all I needed was a way of managing my 120GB iPod. If anyone knows of another free program that does that better, I'm interested.

Wow! I had no idea! I wish I had known that years ago. How might I access them?

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I regret allowing last week's update to install, as GraceNote no longer works AT ALL. Any CD I try to upload, shows up as numbered tracks and unknown artist and album, which means I have to take the time to correct everything by hand, and can't upload multiple CD's before doing so.

I do not buy on-line music BTW, due to the lossy compression, and lack of liner notes and specific information about who played on the album, etc.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I don't use GraceNote, but thanks for the heads up. I've not installed that yet.

I've got my fingers crossed. Frankly, though, I don't have much problem with it now. As long as you leave it on "Songs" list, it's pretty much the same as it was back in 2001. However, it's bloated AF, and I'm optimistic that separating it into several smaller apps might be a smart move.

Just don't take my song list view away, and I'll be happy.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

MMM, you likely use GraceNote without realizing it, even if you're on Windows.

If you upload actual CD's and they have an artist name, album title, and song names (if nothing more -- the rest is optional and I often had to fill in by hand), you are using GraceNote. It's built into iTunes and WMP.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

MMM, you likely use GraceNote without realizing it, even if you're on Windows.

If you upload actual CD's and they have an artist name, album title, and song names (if nothing more -- the rest is optional and I often had to fill in by hand), you are using GraceNote. It's built into iTunes and WMP.

Ah, yes, in that case then I am using it. Mac here.

I had the thought that I hope the new Music app for Mac has the ability to rip CDs, but I guess it wouldn't completely surprise me if it didn't, since no current Mac has an optical drive. OTOH, macOS 10.15 might still support computers that have them, so maybe? :idk:

We find out tomorrow! And probably all these particular questions they don't mention in the keynote over the next week or two. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Early iTunes was a pretty good app had a good feature set, but like most Apple products over time features disappear or get dumbed down to being useless. What eventually turned be off to iTunes as a store is the constant changing DRM and tunes being available one week and disappear the next.

Apple biggest problem is they never know with to stop mucking with stuff. They make a nice product lots of functionality then progressively strip functionality in favor of flashiness or just being a overpriced status symbol.

So now iTunes is turning into three separate apps (music, TV, podcasts) so see what's left of the music side after they carve up the music aspect.