Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Forum status

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a place on the forum where we can donate to the cause?

May I humbly suggest that, if there is the feeling that a little passing the hat might do some good, a Patreon page (or similar) for the Music Player Network might be the way to go? That way it's a voluntary contribution and can be flexible to whatever the user wishes to give. I don't envision many perks, mostly just a pay-what-you-will. I'm using Patreon as my example because of its recurring donation format vs a one-time buy-in. However, if we do makes caps or t-shirts, they could potentially also be sold through that platform.

dB, I know you've erred on the side of caution with this before, but perhaps this kind of flexible crowdfunding could work, now that we've (or will have) achieved independence.

My one percent of a toonie.

Not at the moment...but I'm not sure we need it right now. :idk:

The idea is to keep the forums looking and acting like they always have. I'm thinking a single banner at the top with rotating advertisers will cover the expense of the forums as well as - gasp - paying moderators.

The plan is for there to eventually be another separate area with editorial content (run by Steve Fortner) along with a marketplace where people can buy and sell music (sellers keep 100% of the revenue), services and goods. Think Keyboard mag, but with better ads and offerings. There are other folks who will come in to help with the other forums, some of which will probably get pruned.

We have a few other ideas....but the first goal is to get the forums preserved, migrated and upgraded.

Now bring back SWEAT??? ;)

With who moderating...? :evil:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I know there was a separate thread on suggestions, but this is something I thought of more recently.

At first I was thinking it would be great to have a forum on live sound production - PA, Lighting, etc. We've had some threads on that here, and there have been others on some of the other forums (guitar, bass, etc). But then I was thinking that people might not look at those other areas if they tend to only visit the KC.

So then I thought, what if there was a way to have a SINGLE thread that could span multiple sections.

Example: I'm looking for a guitar amp to run my keyboard through. Start a thread and do #guitar #keyboard and it shows up in both places, but if somebody from either place replies, it shows up in the same thread.

Don't know if that's possible, but it would be really cool for topics that cross over into other areas and would mean not needing something like a separate forum for live sound, or even recording (not sure how much that one is frequented - but there are lots of separate discussions on here as well as the guitar forum).

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Not at the moment...but I'm not sure we need it right now. :idk:

The idea is to keep the forums looking and acting like they always have. I'm thinking a single banner at the top with rotating advertisers will cover the expense of the forums as well as - gasp - paying moderators.

The plan is for there to eventually be another separate area with editorial content (run by Steve Fortner) along with a marketplace where people can buy and sell music (sellers keep 100% of the revenue), services and goods. Think Keyboard mag, but with better ads and offerings. There are other folks who will come in to help with the other forums, some of which will probably get pruned.

We have a few other ideas....but the first goal is to get the forums preserved, migrated and upgraded.

Now bring back SWEAT??? ;)

With who moderating...? :evil:

dB

You..? ;)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I know there was a separate thread on suggestions, but this is something I thought of more recently.

At first I was thinking it would be great to have a forum on live sound production - PA, Lighting, etc. We've had some threads on that here, and there have been others on some of the other forums (guitar, bass, etc). But then I was thinking that people might not look at those other areas if they tend to only visit the KC.

So then I thought, what if there was a way to have a SINGLE thread that could span multiple sections.

Example: I'm looking for a guitar amp to run my keyboard through. Start a thread and do #guitar #keyboard and it shows up in both places, but if somebody from either place replies, it shows up in the same thread.

Don't know if that's possible, but it would be really cool for topics that cross over into other areas and would mean not needing something like a separate forum for live sound, or even recording (not sure how much that one is frequented - but there are lots of separate discussions on here as well as the guitar forum).

There is clearly the ability to do this at the admin level. The "Impending Forum System Server Migration" appeared in ALL forums with the same OP and replies. However, I have no idea if this could be available to any user (probably not without an admin doing it) and could be selected for a limited number of fora (guitar, keyboards, but not Downstairs Lounge, Bandwidth, etc.).

But maybe the latest UBB can. :idk: Maybe you could dig around their site and report back?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

"I visited the Keyboard Corner and all I got was this T-Shirt"

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The t shirt idea is genius. Make it black with white graphics and I'll pay for the silk screens myself!

:2thu:

KC merch...what a concept. :roll:

The funny thing is...I could totally see it. Why not, right? :idk:

It's so cool that it's not just KC being migrated/upgraded/acquired. It's all the forums, the musicplayer.com domain and the name Music Player Network (but not that outdated logo).

:cool::w00t:

I believe we can have quite a bit of fun with this site. I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised at the people who are interested in helping us. :)

dB

P.S. the migration is happening right now.

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Nope. Wasn't me, you can't prove anything. Nope.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Just not a posing pouch, PLEASE!

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I this hasn't already been sussed out, may I suggest the community submit contenders for a logo for the keyboard section of the new site. Here's one I think might have some of the right elements. I took Samuel's avatar and played around with it. It needs a lot of work, to make it clearer. But my point for this one, is that in the end, it's always about the people. Gear and technical chops, of course. But the community, camaraderie and spirit are what this is all about, yes? And I think Samuel's pic kind of embodies that idea. Maybe create an outline type version, like the PGA Tour or MLB logos.

kc-logo-2.png

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

In principle, i hate me-too posts.

I means, why to post just to write what other tens of forum members posted already.

But this time i'll make an exception: thanks for saving the forum.

And good luck for the new adventure !

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

I just signed the agreement with Future Music. :cool::2thu:

The forums are now ours to do with as we please.

:love:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI