Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introductions?

From where exactly in Spain (question from a French Guy....Living in Canada...)?
Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

Welcome to the forums Dani!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I am Michael from Alexandria, Fairfax County, VA. Im 21 and into a lot of older and also obscure music.

I have a lot of instruments I play. I like to make music on FL Studio and sample my instruments.

This introduction was made late because I didnt know this thread existed til now..

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

I might offer that google search yields much better fruit than the search feature in this forum. Use this format in the google search field: site:forums.musicplayer.com IE Hammond site:forums.musicplayer.com

Thanks a lot!

• 1 month later...

I came here after a thread over on GearSlutz' Electronics forum mentioned this as a better place to interact with people who played keyboards. Seems I already registered here four years ago -- I'm guessing it was when I bought the then-new CPS Spacestation. I've bought a few more things since then, mostly in the last 18 months.

Bassist/guitarist for a few decades, but found myself bored with that, so dove into synths -- no guidance or even real understanding, I just trusted my decades-old interest in late-70s synth music to be guidance enough. Of course it wasn't, and so I've been learning -- subtractive synthesis, FM, wave tables. I bought more CDs I thought might be relevant, and started working on piano skills.

What I've liked:

Juno-D: I didn't know these were hated, I just knew that Juno was a name and it was cheap (yes, yes, I know NOW that it's not really a Juno). Thought I'd lose interest but actually it's got several really great sounds, and a very easy interface. Use largely for choirs and that Theramax sound.

Korg CX-3: the Juno-D organ sound wasn't really working for me, and I was curious what drawbars were all about. Researched and drove half a day to buy this. Probably the single most thrilling keyboard I own.

Yamaha p115: I just wanted a weighted piano. But the electric piano sounds get used a lot too -- sometimes more. This board is set up by itself ready at all times, and therefore gets played the most.

Yamaha MX: was there ever a less exciting board? I compare this to the station wagons of the 70s -- not the best at anything, but it can do what any of my other keyboard can do, just not as well. So it's my all-in-one, when I can only have one.

Korg Odyssey: I wanted to try an analog synth, but this was the wrong one to start with. I didn't find it at all intuitive or manageable. But I'm keen to get it

Roland JP-8080: great warmth makes me happy. I didn't know what I was getting (I confused this with the Jupiters) but I wasn't disappointed. Delighted when I saw Jarre had one in "Oxygene live in your living room"

Roland TB-3: it was cheap, and small, and I bought it along with a TR-8. Love the x/y screen.

Sledge 2.0: the selling point for me was the claim that it could do reasonable Moog and Oberheim sounds, and I didn't see myself ever affording either of those. Only recently did I discover its wave tables, making it an affordable PPG. Love those big knobs.

Korg MS-20 mini: Somehow this was much more intuitive for me than the Odyssey. Acquired to make Jarre-ish clicky sounds but instead it's teaching me what analog synths do and why.

D50: it's a total sound, it's just so much what it is. I wasn't listening to radio when this dominated popular music so it's still new to me. Incredible keybed, like driving a Cadillac. Bought instead of D-05.

DX7: I figured this would cover brittle 80s sounds I didn't really care for, but somehow it's still pretty exciting in itself. And I love David Lewis' use of it with Shadowfax.

System-8: When I saw this in the synth shop, I knew it was what I needed. The native engine offers a lot of versatility. Of course I turned down the lights a bit :)

Monologue: I'm on a love/hate with this; I love the portability and the knob-per-function. And then I hate the slim keys, and sometimes wonder if I can really use the sounds. But I take it along on errands sometimes with a pair of headphones, and it's always fun.

Arturia Minibrute: A great teacher for me, being so straightforward. I don't know if I'll ever use it in a band or on a recording.

The future: well I can't avoid going ITB forever; obviously that's worthwile and useful -- especially for creating some Jarre-like music. I especially like the idea of being able to plug in notes to make the computer play stuff I'd like to hear but haven't got sufficient chops to play well. I just don't know enough, and the GC guys weren't really helpful -- just flogging whatever's recent ....

Well that's me, now I'll have to check out what other people have said, see if I find any kindred spirits --

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!

I came here after a thread over on GearSlutz' Electronics forum mentioned this as a better place to interact with people who played keyboards. Seems I already registered here four years ago -- I'm guessing it was when I bought the then-new CPS Spacestation. I've bought a few more things since then, mostly in the last 18 months.

Bassist/guitarist for a few decades, but found myself bored with that, so dove into synths -- no guidance or even real understanding, I just trusted my decades-old interest in late-70s synth music to be guidance enough. Of course it wasn't, and so I've been learning -- subtractive synthesis, FM, wave tables. I bought more CDs I thought might be relevant, and started working on piano skills.

What I've liked:

Juno-D: I didn't know these were hated, I just knew that Juno was a name and it was cheap (yes, yes, I know NOW that it's not really a Juno). Thought I'd lose interest but actually it's got several really great sounds, and a very easy interface. Use largely for choirs and that Theramax sound.

Korg CX-3: the Juno-D organ sound wasn't really working for me, and I was curious what drawbars were all about. Researched and drove half a day to buy this. Probably the single most thrilling keyboard I own.

Yamaha p115: I just wanted a weighted piano. But the electric piano sounds get used a lot too -- sometimes more. This board is set up by itself ready at all times, and therefore gets played the most.

Yamaha MX: was there ever a less exciting board? I compare this to the station wagons of the 70s -- not the best at anything, but it can do what any of my other keyboard can do, just not as well. So it's my all-in-one, when I can only have one.

Korg Odyssey: I wanted to try an analog synth, but this was the wrong one to start with. I didn't find it at all intuitive or manageable. But I'm keen to get it

Roland JP-8080: great warmth makes me happy. I didn't know what I was getting (I confused this with the Jupiters) but I wasn't disappointed. Delighted when I saw Jarre had one in "Oxygene live in your living room"

Roland TB-3: it was cheap, and small, and I bought it along with a TR-8. Love the x/y screen.

Sledge 2.0: the selling point for me was the claim that it could do reasonable Moog and Oberheim sounds, and I didn't see myself ever affording either of those. Only recently did I discover its wave tables, making it an affordable PPG. Love those big knobs.

Korg MS-20 mini: Somehow this was much more intuitive for me than the Odyssey. Acquired to make Jarre-ish clicky sounds but instead it's teaching me what analog synths do and why.

D50: it's a total sound, it's just so much what it is. I wasn't listening to radio when this dominated popular music so it's still new to me. Incredible keybed, like driving a Cadillac. Bought instead of D-05.

DX7: I figured this would cover brittle 80s sounds I didn't really care for, but somehow it's still pretty exciting in itself. And I love David Lewis' use of it with Shadowfax.

System-8: When I saw this in the synth shop, I knew it was what I needed. The native engine offers a lot of versatility. Of course I turned down the lights a bit :)

Monologue: I'm on a love/hate with this; I love the portability and the knob-per-function. And then I hate the slim keys, and sometimes wonder if I can really use the sounds. But I take it along on errands sometimes with a pair of headphones, and it's always fun.

Arturia Minibrute: A great teacher for me, being so straightforward. I don't know if I'll ever use it in a band or on a recording.

The future: well I can't avoid going ITB forever; obviously that's worthwile and useful -- especially for creating some Jarre-like music. I especially like the idea of being able to plug in notes to make the computer play stuff I'd like to hear but haven't got sufficient chops to play well. I just don't know enough, and the GC guys weren't really helpful -- just flogging whatever's recent ....

Well that's me, now I'll have to check out what other people have said, see if I find any kindred spirits --

Joe, for someone who is relatively new to keyboards, you have indeed jumped in with both feet! That's an impressive collection of gear! Welcome to the forum.... It's a pretty amazing place as I'm sure you'll see. There's a ton of knowledge here.

I am Michael from Alexandria, Fairfax County, VA. Im 21 and into a lot of older and also obscure music.

I have a lot of instruments I play. I like to make music on FL Studio and sample my instruments.

This introduction was made late because I didnt know this thread existed til now..

Better late than never Michael. Welcome to the forum...

I don't always say "welcome!" in this thread because it seems redundant sometimes. However, know that I'm always glad to see new folks around here. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Joe, for someone who is relatively new to keyboards, you have indeed jumped in with both feet! That's an impressive collection of gear! Welcome to the forum.... It's a pretty amazing place as I'm sure you'll see. There's a ton of knowledge here.

Yes indeed, a balance to the GS tendency toward the latest rumor. Which is also useful, but I'm more interested in making music.

Easy to forget this now: in 2017, used synths jumped hugely in value on the secondhand market. Awareness of this trend drove me to a buy-now-while-I-can mentality in 2018, fearful that everything might quickly become unobtanium. - which didn't happen, but hence the quickly-gained collection of synths I barely understood.

Otherwise, I'm a big believer in use-it-or-sell-it: to be a player, not a collector. Not that I regret getting any of these .... lately I've fantasized about adding a room onto my house, to make more space for my music gear :)

P.S. I should have added that I'd love to do synthy stuff with other musicians in the Seattle area.

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!

Hello, everyone. I'm Mike Metlay.

These days, I work as a consultant and freelance writer and editor, with RECORDING Magazine as one of my clients; I was the Editor-In-Chief there until March 2019, ending a 23-year stint on the masthead.

Forty years into my journey as a musician, I have released a bunch of music, much of it interesting, some of it even pretty. Learn more at my website.

I am the cofounder and library curator of RadioSpiral, a 24/7 Internet radio station specializing in electronic, ambient, and experimental music. With a staff of ten, it's a vibrant and fast-growing station with an audience that loves to chat online during our hosted shows and our frequent live concerts, as well as a continuing presence in the virtual world of Second Life.

I have spent nearly 30 years assembling groups of musicians from all over the world for recording projects, concerts, and festivals. I derive a huge amount of enjoyment from bringing people together to make music and have fun, and love facilitating it even when I can't be a part of it. Tech gets boring; people never do... or as I often like to say, "Some people collect synthesizers. I collect synthesists."

I ran the Oberheim Xpander User Group (with an actual quarterly newsletter printed on real paper and everything!), and have been contributing to online knowledge bases since before the World Wide Web was invented. Forty years is a long time to amass information and working experience with music gear, and I am always happy to share what I know. :blah:

My primary musical interests include alternative controllers both inside and outside the new MIDI Polyphonic Expression standard, iOS as a practical platform for music making, small studio outfitting and design, and the long and tortured history of certain vintage keyboards, especially the Mellotron.

I live with my family in northern Colorado, in the shadow of the Rocky Mountains, and I'm very glad to meet you all. I can't promise I can answer every question you might have in my areas of expertise, but if I don't know the answer, I'll happily try to find someone who does.

To paraphrase one of my favorite heroes: it is my very great honor to meet you, and you may call me "Dr. Mike."

:D

PS: Yes, I usually put a Ph.D. after my name, and I know it's a silly affectation. The doctorate is real -- it's in experimental nuclear structure physics -- but I haven't used it professionally in decades, and I don't think it says anything about how smart I am, only how determined. I use it because I earned it and I nearly died getting it, so why not?

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Welcome Dr. Mike!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I'm late on both counts: Introducing myself to this forum AND joining the forum. Guilty.

Been on Gearslutz for 10 years along other "keyboard brand specific" forums (Motifator, Korg forums etc) but somehow never occurred to me that this forum existed (blasphemy).

Anyhow, i'm a pianist/keyboardist and a composer.

Here's some of my work. Both videos using 100% Korg Kronos sounds.

[video:youtube]

And here's a live one back when i had my Motif 7. A fusion rendition of Mozart's symphony 40:

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, as my username may suggest - my name is Ben Thames. I'm 21 years old, from Northwest Florida, & I've been playing music for about 5 years.

I introduced myself a little in another thread, but figured I'd also do it in the proper thread.

I've always loved music, but never really had any desire to play it until after a real nasty concussion took me out of high school sports completely. All my friends were musicians, so I figured I'd pick up bass. I started learning on a Monday, & that Wednesday I was sort of thrown into the deep end in my church's youth band. (I actually had to have one of my friends tab out where the notes were for all the songs - couldn't even follow a chord chart, lol).

About 6 months go by - I've learned the bass neck really well, learned some cool bass parts - everything was good, but I really wanted to play an instrument that could stand on its own as well. Due to becoming a musician, I start to listen to music differently. I no longer heard it as one overall sound, but a bunch of individual instrument parts coming together. Because of this, I started listening to songs I'd been hearing for years completely differently.

So, I'm listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Pronounced" album one day, & hear Billy Powell's piano break on the song "Things Goin' On". Instantly, I thought, "that's what I want to do" & I've been playing piano ever since.

I started off learning everything from YouTube videos, just watching people play the parts I wanted to play & not really knowing how the parts were developed. Eventually, I got tired of doing it that way, & started learning some theory. Unlike a lot of folks I've met, I greatly enjoy theory & find it quite fascinating, so pretty quickly I began to really understand what was happening in the parts I was learning. Instead of seeing a run as a bunch of individual notes, I could recognize that "oh, he's just going down a couple octaves of the pentatonic blues scale there", for example.

After I finish college, I plan to move to Nashville & try my hand at getting some session work or some audio jobs. If I find myself not getting enough work, I'll have that business degree to fall back on.

I write a lot of music, & have some of my piano compositions on Spotify, Apple Music, etc. If you just look up my name, I'm the one with 5 instrumental tracks out.

Anyways, all of that to say - hello!

Hi, my name is Mark, am 38 and I'm from the Netherlands. I'm in IT at the moment but am working on the side in naturopathy and psychology together with my fiancé.

I'm a trumpeter for all my life, playing both light classical music and jazz in big bands and ensembles. Have a lot of experience in both scenes and ultimately bought a digital piano to help me visualise chord progressions as an aid to develop my soloing. From that point forward, I was hooked on the piano too. Now, a few years later, I added a synth and am looking for a clonewheel too. This just fleshes out the way I can express myself together with my trusted trumpet and flügelhorn.

Music for me is everything. It helps me process my life and the world around me. Although classical and jazz are always around me, I listen and make a large range of different styles depending on my mood. Am very much into funk and blues at the moment, as well as some ambient, textured soundscapes. There is so much to explore on music!

I joined here to get some insight into different clonewheels and stage piano's and connect to players.

Mark

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

Loooong time lurker here. Thought it was about time I joined, even if I don't end up posting on a regular basis. Lots of good information to be had from the members here.

Been playing keys since I was a kid, although I won't claim to be a whiz in any style by any stretch. (I'm 60 yrs. young presently and quickly approaching an early retirement from my day job.)

Seeing ELP on their Brain Salad Surgery tour in '74 blew me away and got me into playing keyboards more seriously.

I've played full time in clubs in the past, (mostly harder edged rock) although my primary passion has always been creating/playing original music. I always preferred playing an all original set live to a half empty room over a bunch of cover tunes in a packed club.

Currently deep into an album project with a guitar player with similar musical influences.

I had a C3/leslie, a couple of ARP synths & a stringer as a teen when I first started gigging. Bought that gear before I bought my first car! It's been ongoing GAS ever since, although my GAS has tailed off considerably the last 2 - 3 years.

Thanks for the welcome Rod!

Don't recall any keyboard players named Rod when I was active "live", but that was a long time ago (80's for the most part) when I was doing it on a regular basis.

I actually spent most of the last two decades in my basement studio, either doing things on my own or recording & contributing to other people's projects.

Getting closer to the end of the current project I'm working on with a guitar player friend of mine. (Another basement studio hermit like me.)

I'd like to eventually throw together a band that can actually play the stuff live as I'll have more time soon to commit to that sort of thing. 4 piece would work, but a dedicated singer would lighten the load. Some of the material is quite demanding, so it would take a lot of dedication and interest from whoever would be involved. Won't be easy, but it wasn't supposed to be!

Len

• 2 months later...

Hey there, people ...

Amateur keyboard- and bass player from Denmark checking in. :wave:

I am playing keys in a local rock cover band.

My current rig is a Kurzweil PC3X, a Roland FA-06 and a Novation MiniNova.

I am currently saving up for the Kurzweil PC4 (probably), but I am also very tempted to add a proper clonewheel and/or an analog synth to my rig. So I thought this would be a good time to become active on these forums, as a kind of G.A.S.-therapy :)

Currently: Kurzweil PC4, PC3X & K2000.

Novation Mininova. Roland FA-06.

IK Multimedia SampleTank 4 & Syntronik.

Previously: Korg Trinity Plus. Roland XP-80. Yamaha EX-5.