Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Leon Redbone

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I've heard he's anywhere from 25 to 60," Bob Dylan told Rolling Stone in 1974, "and I can't tell, but you gotta see him." That same year, when asked about his age by Rolling Stone, Redbone replied: "Of course I don't know. It's just something I vaguely recall. I can't say for sure." In the news release announcing his death, Redbone's age was cited as 127.

He kept his unique cool until the end.

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

I always loved his voice and tune choice. I saw him when he opened for Leo Kottke and I think Leo stole the show, because he mixed in some humor between songs. Kottle as great as he is, his a endless stream of 12-string instrumentals started becoming mind numbing.

RIP Leon.

I was working in a music store in Phillipsburg, NJ and Leon brought in some stuff for repair (he was living in New Hope, PA at the time). I asked him about a foot switch he had going to his little mixer. He said that it would shut the power off so his mic and guitar wouldn't work. That way, when he didn't want to play any more, or do any encores, he'd hit the kill switch, shrug his shoulders and leave.

He didn't look 90 years old back then, but who knows?

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

I have not heard of it being addressed in the media or by the band and I just did a quick Google for it before posting this but I have always thought Billy Gibbons was paying homage to Leon Redbone with the vocal style on La Grange. Maybe it is just his deep voice doing John Lee Hooker?

[video:youtube]

I also caught those SNL performances, which are available on DVD as part of one of the SNL season box sets. I forgot which year though.

One other thing that sticks in my mind because it was just so catchy is a jingle he recorded for All fabric detergent

Also check out this Budweiser commercial, which I had forgotten about, but is also a great piece of advertising.

His style fit these commercials perfectly.

~ Anthony