Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Better for rehearsal/monitoring? 2 QSC Ks or Motionsound KP?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would expect the piano to sound better through the QSCs; the organ possibly through the Motionsound.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I would expect the piano to sound better through the QSCs; the organ possibly through the Motionsound.

Do you think that the piano would sound worse through the Motionsound than the organ through the QSC s? Probably the opposite, I guess. Which would probably steer me towards a pair of powered speakers rather than a motionsound/ssv3 type solution.

For rehearsal and gigging I prefer my KP500 most of the time although I also own a pair of top notch RCF TT08 acitive speakers which probably offer an even higher fidelity level than the QSCs. The KP500 sounds good with everything I throw at it, AP, EP, organ and synth stuff. I always put the KP500 on a chair or on a stable X-stand to get it on ear level. This way it sounds so much better than just putting it on the floor, tilted or not. I love this amp and I find it much easier to handle and to position than a pair of speakers.

JMTC

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

For rehearsal and gigging I prefer my KP500 most of the time although I also own a pair of top notch RCF TT08 acitive speakers which probably offer an even higher fidelity level than the QSCs. The KP500 sounds good with everything I throw at it, AP, EP, organ and synth stuff. I always put the KP500 on a chair or on a stable X-stand to get it on ear level. This way it sounds so much better than just putting it on the floor, tilted or not. I love this amp and I find it much easier to handle and to position than a pair of speakers.

JMTC

And I'd probably be on the opposite side of that. Yes, the KP500 is probably a simpler, easier schlep. No doubt that it sounds pretty good.

That being said, the audio quality of the QSC K8.2 is very impressive (maybe 85% of the above mentioned RCF TT08-a units at a fraction of the cost). I find it's a lot easier to position a pair of speakers on short poles to get the right mix of monitoring, band can hear, and audience can hear. I think my organs sound pretty darn good through them, in addition to APs and anything else I throw at them.

Lots of good choices in keys amplification these days. Best of luck!

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Guys,

Looking to simplify my rig, I currently sold my pair of Yamaha DXR10's and purchased the Motion Sound KP-500s. My Hammond SKx sounds amazing through the KP-500s. The EP's on my Grandstage also sound amazing especially when I add tremolo. The AP's sound good. Did they sound better on the DXR10's ...............yes but for me not that much to carry around 2 speakers, stands and a mixer. Just my opinion.

My Rig: Stage Piano: Korg Grandstage 73 - Organ: Hammond SKx - Amps: Motion Sound KP-500s - Mixer: Yamaha MGU10

KP 500s all the way.

All in one box and best sounding for both of your boards.

You don't have to fuss with the placement like with the QSCs (which are excellent for what they are!)

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I think one of the issues with the KP is that, to get the best organ sound, you probably want to turn its 3D processing on, which gives you a bigger stereo sound field to compensate for the fact that its stereo speakers are so close to each other... yet that same effect that makes the organ/rotary effect sound better also makes the piano sound worse. At least that's how it was with the older KP I tried.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

there are 2 seperate channels now, Scott. Only one has the "3D processing" as you put it. Piano can go into the other channel. KP shines in simplicity. One box, no mixer or DI needed, as both are built in. Nothing will suit everyone, which is why we have these discussions. Signed former CPS SS3 owner. :)
:nopity:

there are 2 seperate channels now, Scott. Only one has the "3D processing"

That's a nice improvement.

there are 2 seperate channels now, Scott. Only one has the "3D processing"

That's a nice improvement.

I'm not sure that is quite right (unless I'm not getting your point.)

All the KP models (except the KP-100S) have two channels and both have the "expand" knob, which is better than only having it on one. You can certainly set that expand level to 0 on one of the channels.

This was true even of the discontinued KP-200S.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I'm not sure that is quite right, (unless I'm not getting your point.)

All the KP models (except the KP-100S) have two channels and both have the "expand" knob. But you can certainly set that expand level to 0 on one of the channels

This was true even of the discontinued KP-200S.

Maybe I was misremembering. It was definitely an issue on the similar Roland SA-300. I liked that amp, but I didn't use its (global) stereo expansion effect if I needed to play piano through it.

I wish they would have kept the "click track" input on all the new KP models. When I had a KP-200S, it let me avoid bringing a separate monitor.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

The KP-500s has 2 channels each with the Expand Knob. Each stereo channel also has four inputs. So you can have the organ in 1-channel with the Expander at max and the piano in the other channel with the Expander very low.

Works perfectly. Mike

My Rig: Stage Piano: Korg Grandstage 73 - Organ: Hammond SKx - Amps: Motion Sound KP-500s - Mixer: Yamaha MGU10