Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New iPod Touch, $199 / 32GB / A10 chip / HP jack / 4" displa

So what thinks you? As a small lightweight replacement for an iPad to run music apps?

There's multiple uses for iPads, like reading music off one, so having a dedicated device for apps would be helpful, esp. at this size and price point.

Unfortunately, the 128GB and 256GB models are $100 more, so the 256GB model is $399.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what thinks you? As a small lightweight replacement for an iPad to run music apps?

There's multiple uses for iPads, like reading music off one, so having a dedicated device for apps would be helpful, esp. at this size and price point.

Unfortunately, the 128GB and 256GB models are $100 more, so the 256GB model is $399.

If it's strictly for use as a sound module, 128 GB is plenty... even 32 GB gets you awfully far and only starts to feel constrained with numerous large sample libraries. The thing I'd watch for is the Touch runs iPhone apps, and some music apps are only available for iPad, because their interface requires a bigger screen. Even with stuff tha runs on both, the interface may be more limited on the smaller screen. So an iPad Mini would be the more flexible option.

One thing I really like about the Touch (or an iPhone), though, is that it is small enough to place on almost any board, and in that context, one of the things thing they could be really good for is more conveniently calling up patches, on those boards that have limitations in that respect. Some "keypad" devices people have used cost almost as much as one of these.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

This is why we need MainStage for iOS. Throw Korg Module, Galileo, Set List Maker, iMidiPatchbay etc on that, plus a PlugKey and you've got a powerful, super-portable module.

Cheers, Mike.

Do any current IOS programs recognize the Audio Units plugin format?

This is why we need MainStage for iOS. Throw Korg Module, Galileo, Set List Maker, iMidiPatchbay etc on that, plus a PlugKey and you've got a powerful, super-portable module.

Cheers, Mike.

Yes, $199 isn't too bad.

Am I correct in thinking that the exterior design (and size) is the same as the iPhone 5/SE?

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I have ipod touch 6.

4" display, A8 chip, 32 gb.

I have been waiting this new ipod to have a 5'" display...

I will waiting for the next gen...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

If it's strictly for use as a sound module, 128 GB is plenty... even 32 GB gets you awfully far and only starts to feel constrained with numerous large sample libraries. The thing I'd watch for is the Touch runs iPhone apps, and some music apps are only available for iPad, because their interface requires a bigger screen. Even with stuff tha runs on both, the interface may be more limited on the smaller screen. So an iPad Mini would be the more flexible option.

One thing I really like about the Touch (or an iPhone), though, is that it is small enough to place on almost any board, and in that context, one of the things thing they could be really good for is more conveniently calling up patches, on those boards that have limitations in that respect. Some "keypad" devices people have used cost almost as much as one of these.

Yes, perhaps you're right, the 4" screen is ludicrously small. But there are apps like Ravenscroft 275 that work for iPhone and only requires 883MB of space, and once you've set it up on a regular sized iPad, you use it live, and probably only need one or two of the presets you've set up in advance, same for a number of great programs that work with the iPhone. Korg Module only needs 1.2GB of space, and with it's great Setlist, you could easily set things up in advance, and of course the add on programs on offer allow you to install only what you need.

But yeah, 4" seems a bit too tiny, even 5" starts to be reasonable.

I have too many music apps. My ipod touch 6 have no trouble to work all of them, so the new 7 will be work even better.

So the performance is not the problem even with the old model.

But the 4" screen...

If the new had 5" screen i would buy it instantly...

The battery of the old ipod 6 was not so strong, at least in mine.

I believe the new one will have a better battery...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

Cheers, Mike.

Yes, $199 isn't too bad.

Am I correct in thinking that the exterior design (and size) is the same as the iPhone 5/SE?

James

x

It has the same size but it is thinner...

there are apps like Ravenscroft 275 that work for iPhone and only requires 883MB of space, and once you've set it up on a regular sized iPad, you use it live, and probably only need one or two of the presets you've set up in advance, same for a number of great programs that work with the iPhone. Korg Module only needs 1.2GB of space, and with it's great Setlist, you could easily set things up in advance, and of course the add on programs on offer allow you to install only what you need.

Yes, if you've pre-determined that the apps you're looking to run do run on the iPhone and can easily be used live without screen interactions, Touch could be the ticket. You are still possibly limiting yourself away from some future iOS app you might like to add that won't meet those requirements, but people have different ideas about "future proofing" and there is a perfectly reasonable argument to be made for not paying for theoretical future things you may never need, especially in technology, where those future things often prompt you to want to buy updated hardware anyway, regardless of the more "future proof" thing you might have bought.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Cheers, Mike.

Yes, $199 isn't too bad.

James

x

It has the same size but it is thinner...

Thanks!

Same size as iPhone 5, but thinner...great!

I wish there was an Android phone with this form factor (and the Apple's specs)!

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Thanks!

Same size as iPhone 5, but thinner...great!

I wish there was an Android phone with this form factor (and the Apple's specs)!

James

x

By Apple specs you mean the underlying code and hardware that allows for such low latency? I haven't kept up with it for awhile now, but the last I heard Android devices were getting closer to the kind of latency that Apple is known for. It would be great to pay $300 and have a mid-range phone with 64GB of memory and a 6" screen to play with.