Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sleeping after a performance or rehearsal

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... podcast in the ears, at volume low enough to function as a burble but just high enough not to cause strain to hear.

+1

I find that when I darken the room (or pull something over my eyes) and put on some pleasant music at a fairly low level -- just loud enough to hear the sound without straining, but not loud enough to keep my attention on the tune -- it masks other ambient sounds and settles my busy brain, and I usually drift off to sleep sooner or later.

After years of playing in rock bands where most every member of the band drank too much and in some cases smoked pot to wind down after the gig. I quit the band business, did a duo with a really gifted guitar player, we sang together extremely well, and played the Pocono Mountain Resorts for almost 4 years.

I got tired of his laziness when it came to practice, getting his own equipment, and relying on me and a roadie to move all the equipment. So, I decided to go solo.

I spent some time developing an act, scaled down my rig to a Yamaha ES8, a PA, mixer, harmonizer, and occasionally brought along an Alesis ION on gigs that were more rock oriented rooms. I had to move all my equipment myself, setup, play, tear down, load up, and drive home. I did not drink any alcohol and drugs were out. It was a long tiring night by the time I got home. I drove safely and got home alive after every gig, no accidents.

When I got home, I was pretty beat. I had no trouble sleeping.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Most the bands I've worked with it was normal to go eat and hang out after gigs and sometimes after rehearsal it helps to wind down and kill a couple hours usually. Plus diners and coffee shops after 2am can be a blast. After awhile other bands would fall by too especially on weekends. It was quite a hang for musicians and friends from the club. everyone including the waitress had a good time, EXCEPT for the night manager. The manger was this huge bulldog of a woman and she's go crazy telling people get stop going table to table to talk and keep track of who got what check and so on.

With one band even going to the diner with some of the people from that club wasn't enough to tired us out we started going bowling after we left the diner. Bowling alleys where we lived were open 24 hours a day and that late at night pretty chill. So by the time we made it home we were ready to crash.

Drinking affects REM sleep, it's not good because you won't get quality sleep.

Sleep tech here. Not just REM, the whole sleep architecture is whacked. Your body has to metabolize the alcohol first. You'll get too much stage 2 (light sleep), little to no stage 3 (deep sleep) and delayed REM. Alcohol, muscle relaxers, opioids and the like can exacerbate apnea if you've got it. If your snore is worse when you drink you may have it. Opioid use can cause central apnea, which is when your brain doesn't tell your body to take a breath. It's ugly.

Some common meds are REM suppressants, some enhance REM. Weed is a suppressant. Ambien enhances. You don't want too much or too little REM. Ask your doctor (Who am I kidding? Google is your friend) if anything you take is messing up your sleep. Some SSRIs cause alpha wave intrusion (light sleep that looks like wake on the eeg).

It's 9 am, I worked last night and am working tonight. I really need to go to bed. But I've been exposed to sunlight for two hours and my body thinks it's time to wake up. Maybe a shot of bourbon will help...

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

This is going slightly OT but you brought up some things that have interested me most recently.

Some may have read my post that I broke 2 ribs a few weeks ago. About the only way I can sleep pain free is flat on my back. I have apnea but only seems to affect me if I sleep on my back - I usually sleep on my side or stomach and have no trouble. But obviously sleep hasn't been too good since I'm waking up either from apnea or pain if I start to roll. It's getting steadily better since just in the last week I can sleep for shorter periods of time in other positions if I get the pillows arranged just right.

I got off the opioids within the first 3 days of the injury even though they were prescribed for 5, and I haven't been drinking any alcohol, so I'm good there. I'm starting to feel like I'm getting more sleep, but since you were mentioning REM sleep, I find it interesting that if I hit snooze a few times in the morning, it seems like that 9 minute snooze time is just loaded with vivid dreams, where I don't recall any from the rest of the night.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'm starting to feel like I'm getting more sleep, but since you were mentioning REM sleep, I find it interesting that if I hit snooze a few times in the morning, it seems like that 9 minute snooze time is just loaded with vivid dreams, where I don't recall any from the rest of the night.

It's not uncommon for me to see people have arousals during the last REM period and drop right back into it. In fact, they can change positions and still go back into REM. It's wild to watch. (It's also wild to watch 3 patients all go into REM at 3 am when they've gone to bed 45 minutes apart.) The thing about REM is that it isn't important that you remember your dreams, it's important that you have REM. REM deprivation is fatal.

If you're curious, Google propofol/ rem sleep/ Michael Jackson.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Just got home from our flood relief benefit at a fabulous outdoor venue (to put in perspective, the last show I saw there was the Brandi Carlile Band).

Three country bands and raised some decent money for a local charity. Decent crowd. It would have packed most of the bars we play, but spread out in this space it didnt seem like enough people. But three solid, energetic sets and had everyone up for Will The Circle Be Unbroken to wind up the night.

First-rate facility and staff, perfect weather and a solid A performance from all the groups. Of course, Im pretty amped up and having a cocktail on the patio to try and settle down. Gotta get up at 4:50. :-/

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P