Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP88 and 73 - Deserve their own thread

Nope. iPad to CP4 with usb / camera adapter and then output from iPad earphone to CP4 aux input. Several people on internet have similar noise issues that they attribute to a ground loop. Using wireless MIDI eliminated the noise.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

I'm surprised it would be a ground loop if the iPad wasn't plugged into AC.

I wonder if it would be different if you'd used a DIN MIDI connection out of the CP4 instead of the USB.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hope we are not hijacking this thread, but according to other blogs, using the standard MIdI connector does not introduce the noise like the USB connector does. Noise was evident only when both USB and aux are connected to one device. This was not unique to Yamaha from what I could find.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

Nope. iPad to CP4 with usb / camera adapter and then output from iPad earphone to CP4 aux input. Several people on internet have similar noise issues that they attribute to a ground loop. Using wireless MIDI eliminated the noise.

Would MIDI cable to PlugKey also have solved this?

Here for the gear.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read this entire thread and the CP73/88 manual and might have missed this so I'll ask now. If I have another keyboard plugged into the audio inputs of the CP is the level of the other keyboard affected.by the CP's master volume control as it comes out of the CP's outputs? Also,same scenario,does the CP's master eq affect the tone of the instrument plugged into the CP's audio ins as it comes out of the CP's outputs? Anybody know?

One place Casio blew it with the PX5S audio ins is having the PX eq affect the tone of whatever is plugged into the inputs. I hope Yamaha didn't make the same mistake.

• 3 weeks later...

Got to play the CP-88 yesterday at my local GC.

The NW-GH action is VERY nice and the keys feel great.

It's dead simple to operate. The piano section sounds lovely (U1 samples are a neat alernative), EPs are decent, fx sound good. The ancillary sounds section is lacking - if they would work on this it would be much harder to resist.

Well built, fairly compact for an 88k weighted and lighter to pickup than I thought it was going to feel at 18.6 kg (41 lb, 0 oz).

Tough call on choosing between this and the MODX8. The MODX8 action is lesser - entirely playable, but not as grand piano-like (ymmv), plasticy feeling keys. But the MODX is much more capable if you cover a lot of sounds and need to program for a set that is more than just bread and butter stuff. If the bank would allow I wouldn't mind owning the CP-88 and Montage 6 or Kronos 6. (Don't care for the action on the MODX6, it's better than the FA-06 but not by much).

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Elmer, I am afraid that you maybe turning in to a gear-slut!

Just think of the Planet man! That and enriching Supra-national corporations.

Don't worship at the shine of Yamwaha!

Do not, fear for me, jahfume!

I"m a notorious window shopper with finances too weak to indulge my showroom playing habits. The planet is safe (for the moment). ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Stopped into the local piano/keyboard store in town about two weeks ago, owners of which are Yamaha dealers, to see if they had gotten these in yet. They had an 88 but no 73, which was a bummer because I was most interested in the 73. Played the 88 and the action felt superb, which I have found to be the case for most Yamaha's I've played. APs sounded excellent, EPs were better than what I expected them to be. I would probably always be running them through with a dash of drive and some effects, but that's ok because the effects were pretty pleasing. APs and EPs are mostly what I would be using it for, maybe some pads or strings layered with a piano, but this seems to me like a great bottom board under a clone/synth.

Anyway, the 88 action felt great but I would be most interested in a 73 because of its portability. One of the guys in the shop said the action that is in the 73 comes from one of the Clavinova models. I hadn't been able to find anywhere that this was the case, but if so then I would put a lot more faith in the 73 action sight-unseen because of the quality of the new Clavinova's that I've played. Can anyone confirm this?

"...and that TV channel at the hotel that's, like, ABOUT the hotel?"

Yamaha CP 73 / Numa Organ 2 / Korg Prologue 8

I played the CP88 in a store here recently since I!m looking for a new lighter live axe to supplement my E5D and to replace my P250. What I like compared to the 515 is that they have much more prof. rear in/out (XLR, power connectors etc.). However, no string resonance which is not understandable since 515 has it which may be limiting usage to band context.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. - Bob Marley

Found a mint CP73 for a great price online, ordered it last night. Putting a lot of faith in Yamaha's action having not played it, but they haven't let me down yet. I already dig the sound quality, both from the demo videos and from playing the 88, so if this action holds up to Yamaha's standards I'll be very happy with this :) once it's here I'll share my thoughts.

I'm happy with the action on the CP73. It wasn't love at first touch, more like "I can live with this as a trade off for the portability." But it's growing on me the more I play it. Make no mistake though, it's a big step down from the action of the 88.

I prefer the action of the CP73 over the Grandstage 73, and it's 10 lbs lighter. But the GS has a vastly better sound palette beyond pianos.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

The CP88 is still a very good option for the gigging musician who is always on the move and needs something more portable. Having said, the RD2000 weighs only 6lbs (47lbs vs 41lbs) more than the CP88, but the action and tone generation tech in it is in my mind better than what's in the CP88.

Halhertz,

I understand portability and general ease of movement do not seem to be a concern for you.

One thing I need to point out regarding the above statement, though:

1) The RD is LONGER than the CP, which makes a HUGE difference in portability. That damned block which Roland INSISTS on slapping at the front end of ALL their keyboards makes a one person move nearly IMPOSSIBLE! Plus those six extra pounds can make all the difference between semi-portable and NO F***ING WAY at the end of 2 or 3 full sets.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

The one time I used the RD-2000 in a studio environment with rhythm section and 3 horns - while it sounded excellent by itself before we started recording, when we started playing, the Roland was not present enough in the headphone mix, thus causing me to dig in and play harder from which I usually do. Which in turn caused tension and affected my technique.

I'd be willing to give it another try, for home maybe, but based on that experience, I wouldn't buy one to gig with.

Also when you figure in the extra poundage for even a lightweight case - that 47 lbs. all of a sudden is hovering around 60, or over. ;)

And yes, the length is a huge consideration when trying to fit into tight spots or crowded stages.

Dave, spot on!

When I had one (briefly) I played it in a trio setting and it couldn"t cut through in ensemble parts, let alone soloing, no matter how i tweaked it. That"s when I was done.

EPs and controller options are its best features, but I would NEVER have lugged it out!

And since you"re primarily doing acoustic settings, I wouldn't if I were you :)

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Hello,

I am also interested on the CP73 which is compact with hammer action, mostly for my aps and eps , but since I play mostly soul/r&b/funk/rock covers on a band without guitar, I use some all-around synth sounds for splits, like synth lead for melody/solo, brass for kicks/melody/tuttis, horns for backing, etc.

One or two good Hammond sounds with Leslie are always enough for me, so no problem here I think.

Although I know CP73 is limited on those sounds, would it be possible to tweak some of its sounds via eq/time filters or effects to come close to other ones? I'm not really in need of acoustic sounds like sax, trumpet, etc, but something close to the feel and sound, even if it's "fake".

I really like layering Rhodes or wurlies with brass, for doing guitar riffs and clavs with softer leads for funk grooves/solos because either way you have strong attach, with power and heavyweight notes with infinite sustain if required!

I just spent 30 minutes with the cp73 this morning. I played the 88 and it was nice but I had bad headphones and no sustain pedal and its a little too heavy for me. The CP73 has been on my radar for a while because of its form factor. I thought the action was really nice. It didnt feel like the hammer action of the Motif 88 range, a little looser perhaps? Ive read that its similar to the montage 8 but I havent tried that so cant compare. For me it felt like a cross between a Kronos 73/88 and maybe one of the Nord pianos......in a good way as I know there are a lot of people who dont like the Kronos action.

The controls seems pretty easy to get around, which is something as its obviously very Nord in its approach and Ive never taken to the nord interface. Its pretty basic in terms of the variety of each sound. Only a few pianos, electric pianos etc. But Its easy to get the sound you want from dialling in the effects. Ive said it before but the extra sounds are minimal and I wonder how much more Yamaha will add when they make the newer downloadable sounds.

What I came away with most was the size. I have the Kronos 73 and I like the size of that but not the weight. Plus Korg, like Roland, put the joystick at the end rather than the top corner adding more width to the machine. The CP73 really is compact. Would I buy one? Dunno...I just picked up a Casio S3000 and got a super price on a B stock modx8. I love Yamaha pianos but not enough to buy another one. Im going to spend some time with the Modx8 as thats a beast and I think I can live with the action on that. I played on in a store a few months ago and didnt like tha action but the one I picked up is fine so perhaps the one in the store was played to death or damaged. Anyway the cp73 is really really nice to play, sounds lovely and is small and light. I kept picking it up to check the weight as it feels so sturdy when youre playing it. Again these are only my opinions after 30 minutes. Not near enough time plus I havent gigged with one but I think its a fine machine....now if it had the modx engine.........

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

I just spent 30 minutes with the cp73 this morning...I thought the action was really nice. It didnt feel like the hammer action of the Motif 88 range...Ive read that its similar to the montage 8 but I havent tried that so cant compare.

I think the Montage 8 and Motif 88 range had the same actions.... so if not like the one, not like the other either.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

My CP73 was delivered yesterday and it's everything I wanted it to be. I'll be using it for APs and EPs under a Numa Organ 2 or Mopho x4, and it meets all my needs. Love the raw samples, but the effects are killer and will be seeing a lot of use from me. I'm coming from an SV1 88, on which the Rhodes and Wurli I adored (when being run through the amp sim), the acoustic pianos were ok, and the action was always a bit heavy to me, but I got used to it. The CP delivers what I consider better sounding everything and the same mix of great effects at a MUCH lighter weight (which was my main reason for getting the CP). As far as the action goes, I REALLY dig it. Better for playing EPs than the SV, very responsive and on the lighter side. Love it for the grands and uprights as well. It just has the quality feel you would expect from a Yamaha keybed. Since I already have organ and synth covered with other instruments, I don't feel like I "settled" for anything with this instrument and can't wait to start gigging with it and dialing in some great sounds.

Sorry for the repeated post but someone told me my post might be more relevant here.

Why I bought the CP88 (long-winded review/statement)

For my history, I have previously owned a Roland A90 Piano/Midi controller and a Yamaha Clavinova PF-100 (circa 1994) and I got incredible amount of use from both but due to personal changes in my life I thought it was time to upgrade since I havent had anything new for almost 25 years.

Just so everyone knows, I am not biased with any company whatsoever.

Fast forward to Nov/2018 where I purchased a Nord Piano 4. Absolutely LOVED the sound however, there was a huge issue with the keybed as it was making more noise than it should. To the point upon release of the keys the noise would resonate through my mic and through my L1 compact. Not acceptable.

After many views Youtube comparison videos and personal demoing in my local music stores I was undecided between the Korg Grandstage, Korg Kronos, Roland RD 2000, Yamaha CP4, Korg Krome nd the Roland FA-08.

All great pianos/workstations so it was a matter of sound, versatility and of course the keybed.

So, back in April I my local store had a CP88 so I jumped on. They had it running through a small Fender amp and even with that I got soooo sooo excited .just as I did my Nord. So, when that excitement hits, instinctively I go with it. Plus, the keybed/action was just so soooo amazing that the decision was made there and then. So, traded in my Nord Piano 4 it in for my new love, the CP88. Unfortunately they only had the floor model so they gave me their floor model as a loaner until the new one came in.

So, as far as sound. I will admit I am not as happy with the piano sounds themselves compared to the Nord but with some tweaking with the EQ I have got 3 amazing piano sounds that I am very very happy with. The CFX has this sort of tinny sound to it and I will admit I thought the CFX on the CP4 was a bit better. However, the Imperial, S700 and the upright U1 are truly amazing. A little tweaking and you can basically get a great sound out of it.

The CP80/70 sample is definitely comparable to the Nord (which I use quite a bit in my set) so apart from the bug thats going to b fixed this coming September it sounds absolutely incredible.

The Wurlitzer (especially with Aprils update) totally blows the Nord away. I am just so so happy with it as it really helps with my Supertramp/10cc tunes that I use in my setlist.

The keybed, Well, it truly came down to the CP4, the RD2000 and the CP88. The CP4 was great for sure as was the RD2000 but after a number of jumps between the CP88 and the RD 2000 I found the RD was a little heavier than the CP88 and the CP4 was a little lighter so the CP88 was the perfect balance between the two. As weird as it sounds (no pun) I feel my playing has actually improved on the CP88. Songs that I had a hard time playing before (Tony Banks Lamb intro and Firth Of Fifth plus some blues scales for example) are coming much more easier. Weird how that works.

Yes, there are only 57 sounds with the CP88 as opposed to the NP4 and yes you can load samples into the NP4 but I had to be practical within myself. I use Logic Pro X for a trillion sounds that I can trigger so for home use/editing/sequencing for backing tracks the limitation of the sounds in the CP88 is not limiting to me at all. Plus, one has to ask themselvesor myselfhow many sounds does one actually need? I mean seriouslythese are stage pianos. I usually get between 3-5 gigs per month and I do not use more than 4-5 sounds within my 40 song setlist. So its basically, Acoustic Piano, CP80, Wurli, Rhodes and a AP with a combined Ample Acoustic Guitar (triggered through my laptop) /Piano sounds. The rest are just icing on the cake.

Ok, the other pianos may give you way more sounds but in all honesty, many of them are just different variations of the same sample, Don't let 1000 sounds fool you into thinking you're getting 1000 samples because you're not.

Now, thats just me and I cant speak for anyone elses needs as everyone has different needs and requirements.

I also love the fact that I do not have to use my M-Audio interface anymore as the CP88 has a USB audio interface built in so with that and my upcoming purchase of a Yamaha MG10XU mixer (USB audio interface) going through my Bose L1 Compact system will be the perfect match for me.

So this whole notion that CP88 blows this out of the wateror The RD2000 feels better or the Nord Pianos sound so much better is total nonsense. It is ALL down to personal taste for personal needs.

I will say for price, keybed, versatility (again depending on your needs), sound and weight (yes I can actually carry the piano in my gig bag with one hand) the CP88 is hard to beat.but thats just me.

Finally, I will say buying a piano is actually worse than buying a house or a car. Very stressful at times and we always want to make the "right" purchase. Yes, you can watch a trillion Youtube videos, read all of their comments, jump on the forums, get a a thousand different opinions and yes it helps but many times it can actually confuse you even more and also cause ulcers...LOL.

Its best to think of your own needs and try not to let anyones opinions (comments) sway you but your own.

Cost/price aside there will ALWAYS be pluses and minuses to any of these pianos and if I had to do it all over again I would have waited until April this year before purchasing the Nord and maybe taken more time to study as its been 9-10 months to land to where I am now.

I hope my experience/review will resonate with anyone who is undecided in purchasing the CP88 or any other piano for that matter.

Now get out there and get a CP88!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You wont regret it.LOL!!!

One of the stage techs locally I know runs the audio at the local GC. I would buy for them in the past but now with this sales tax thing it makes hunting for keyboards of this price range about the same anywhere. He said in inventory the larger markets get first dibs, especially if they move Yamaha stock well. Also the stores get gear based on size so from what he told me there are 13 88 or 73 CP models floating around out there. I guess I will have to wait. I never want to pay MSRP for anything. I never had to in the past.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• 3 weeks later...
Just played one at the Guitar Center in Buffalo, NY. I loved the action and I was reminded why Yamaha does the piano thing so well. It would be a great board for Piano centered gigs for me. I wish it was a little cheaper but the rep said if I picked one up he'd work with me.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Ive never been a Yamaha guy, but I think they are on to something with this keyboard. Although perhaps beyond its intended design/purpose, I wish it had a lot more rompler sounds (strings, brass, synths, the usual stuff). Would order one immediately. It couldnt hurt to port over the organ engine from the YC series, as well (I know, :deadhorse:).

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• 3 weeks later...

Lowest price of the CP73 in the UK is £1349, about $1650, which is starting to look quite attractive. As people have said the sub section is a bit lacking but what I find more annoying is the choice of Insertion Effects on the Piano section. Why anyone would want to add distortion or overdrive to acoustic pianos?

Update - just watched the excellent Bonners review and he explains that in the Advanced Settings you can access EP or Synth sounds in the piano section or EPs in the Synth section etc. That makes the choice of effects less of an issue. So you could put the Piano in the EP section and get access to more insert effects. Interesting. Layering has probably been covered earlier in the thread but I didn't spot it this extra feature. So you can layer 2 Pianos or 2 EPs or 2 Synths.