Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody soundproofed their garage for band rehearsals...etc?

Many years ago I spent about 35K and had a contractor soundproof my garage. When the time came to sell the house, I had to make a lot of adjustments to make it look like a garage again...because people wanted to see a functional Garage and not a rehearsal/recording studio.

Looks like I'm gonna be staying in this house for a while. I have a somewhat large 2 car garage that I'd like to convert. My uncle who's a professional carpenter lives within a reasonable distance now, so I have serious help this time. I'd like to be able to record drums and get loud without disturbing anybody, so if I'm gonna do it, I better get it right.

There's like gzillion posts about the subject on Gearslutz but they all go for some pages and then nothing... . Is there a good source of info for a project like this? Has anybody done this before?

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this ad on Facebook, some of it are paid content, but not all of it, perhaps some useful tips?

www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2019/5/9/studio-build-guide-learn-how-to-take-a-timber-garden-shed-and-convert-it-into-a-high-quality-home-recording-studio

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

I'll try to find the files I used, but the only way to truly soundproof is to decouple the room from the other walls and floor as much as possible. I'll link here if I can find the resource I used.

"For instance" is not proof.

When the time came to sell the house, I had to make a lot of adjustments to make it look like a garage again...because people wanted to see a functional Garage and not a rehearsal/recording studio.

It's not just the buyers who insist on this. The mortgage banks often insist on an actual garage to fund the loan. I bought a house from an architect who ran his business from home. He had converted his garage into an awesome office which I wanted to use for my engineering consulting business. I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get the loan approved with the modifications intact. When I sold the house I had to remove the improvements.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I'll try to find the files I used, but the only way to truly soundproof is to decouple the room from the other walls and floor as much as possible. I'll link here if I can find the resource I used.

Yeah, proofing vs treating is whole different thing. My drummer friend moved into a new place almost two years ago now and spent the first 6-9 months proofing his basement studio - basically building another room within the first room. A lot of work and a lot of money.

I looked seriously at this many years ago, and came away with the impression that I would have to basically construct a room within a room. Anything that connected the inner and outer room would transmit acoustic energy, especially bass. With neighbors close by, even a near-miss in my project would result in much wasted effort, so I never pursued it.

I ended up solving my problem by buying a very inexpensive music house near the local airport. No need to modify the structure.

We can get as loud as we want and no one complains.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get the loan approved with the modifications intact.

Loc: Los Angeles

That would explain why. LA seems really anal about regulations and compliance. I have one piece of gear from the 1980s with a sticker on the back proclaiming compliance with LA regulations :facepalm:

I looked seriously at this many years ago, and came away with the impression that I would have to basically construct a room within a room. Anything that connected the inner and outer room would transmit acoustic energy, especially bass. With neighbors close by, even a near-miss in my project would result in much wasted effort, so I never pursued it.

I ended up solving my problem by buying a very inexpensive music house near the local airport. No need to modify the structure.

In some cases, buying a separate house would probably be cheaper than TRULY soundproofing a structure like a garage...

Got this ad on Facebook, some of it are paid content, but not all of it, perhaps some useful tips?...

Thanks a lot. Actually any legit sources - free or not- would come totally handy.

It's not just the buyers who insist on this. The mortgage banks...

Yes, I'm aware of that. Actually some of my good local friends are real estate agents. Apparently, they sell houses with modified garages all the time. When it comes to it, I'll just deal with it I guess. Good point for future readers, so glad you brought it up.

That'd be awesome. Yes, that's exactly what the builder did for me before. They built a room within a room with layers of stuff in between. With levels maxed out, you had to be on my property to feel that kick.

Yeah, proofing vs treating is whole different thing. My drummer friend moved into a new place almost two years ago now and spent the first 6-9 months proofing his basement studio - basically building another room within the first room. A lot of work and a lot of money.

Yes. Last time I just paid a company and they did it in 2 weeks. I could never do this on my own. This time around, I have my uncle. He's an amazing carpenter/handy man ...but not an acoustician (if that's the word),so I need to gather info on my end as much as possible. I kind of want to take the challenge and see where it goes.

I totally get it. It's just I'm not in a band or anything. I want to have all my equipment and instruments in that space. It's nice to be able to have access to gears in your own place. I'm thinking about getting a Grand Piano too, and that's where it's gonna go as well.

Logistics were way more challenging in the other place. This time, I'm the last house on a cul-de-sac.

In some cases, buying a separate house would probably be cheaper than TRULY soundproofing a structure like a garage...

Not in Arcadia. I have a good job and live comfortably...but I couldn't buy another property for sure.

Not in Arcadia. I have a good job and live comfortably...but I couldn't buy another property for sure.

LOL. No kidding. The idea of buying another house as a rumpus room just isn't as workable in southern California as it may be elsewhere...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I was just going to ask if you were literally within the city of LA or not. Obviously it's Arcadia you need to check with.

My long time friend lives in Manhattan Beach and ANYTHING you are thinking of doing with a garage must be cleared with the city and it's called good luck with that. The city assumes it's a scam to create an illegal rental. All the different online temporary rental sites like Airbnb are a huge issue in SoCal to the point that standard residential rental leases are drying up. Short term rentals like a few days or a week are really turning residential housing into hotels with no regulatory compliance or guest lodging taxes collected.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I have some related experience with this. I built a two-room, sound-isolated (room-within-a-room) recording studio in my basement in Brooklyn. I had the benefit of a ton of advice from the designer/builder who helped me design the place, but I also did a ton of research online before and during the process. The best online resource I can point you to is this one:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

Tremendous source of info on construction techniques, acoustic principles, etc. Many very experienced and knowledgeable people post on there.

35k sounds about right for your earlier project - actually, a good deal if it was done well. My basement is 1000 sq ft, and I think I put about 35-40k into it in materials alone.

LOL. No kidding. The idea of buying another house as a rumpus room just isn't as workable in southern California as it may be elsewhere...

I'm saving $$$ for my own house just over the border in PA (I work in NY).

I've been divorced since 2004 with no kids. My ideal house will have my studio on the main floor where most people have their living room because I want to enjoy the sunlight while playing with my gear. My TV will go in the basement because I almost always watch a movie after dark.

In the event I do remarry, I'm building a separate cottage for the studio. Having been married once, I learned there is no way to make noise in the same structure without disturbing others. Headphones are NOT a solution. The only way to get true isolation is a separate unconnected structure.

...I learned there is no way to make noise in the same structure without disturbing others. Headphones are NOT a solution. The only way to get true isolation is a separate unconnected structure.

I respectfully disagree (to a point). See my post above yours - I live in brownstone Brooklyn, my building is connected on both sides, and my neighbors have no idea that I have a full recording studio in my basement. I can cut screaming rock guitars or full-bore Hammond organ at 2am directly below my 3-year-old's bedroom with no issue.

However - it does take true room-in-a-room construction, absolutely anal attention to detail in the construction work itself, and a pretty substantial investment in materials to make it work. And, of course, a space that can accommodate losing 1-2 feet in each direction.

But for the OP, it sounds perfectly feasible (although I have no idea about the legal restrictions in SoCal, so I can't speak to that at all.) The most important point, though, is that his professional carpenter uncle can't rely on standard construction techniques - he really needs to research specifics on sound isolation - things like interweaving the corners on all layers of sheetrock, using acoustical caulk on every single joint, sealing all penetrations with more acoustical caulk, making sure any bracing for the internal framing is removed before closing up walls, etc.

I have some related experience with this. I built a two-room, sound-isolated (room-within-a-room) recording studio in my basement in Brooklyn. I had the benefit of a ton of advice from the designer/builder who helped me design the place, but I also did a ton of research online before and during the process. The best online resource I can point you to is this one:

Tremendous source of info on construction techniques, acoustic principles, etc. Many very experienced and knowledgeable people post on there.

35k sounds about right for your earlier project - actually, a good deal if it was done well. My basement is 1000 sq ft, and I think I put about 35-40k into it in materials alone.

Amazing resource. Many thanks.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I was just going to ask if you were literally within the city of LA or not. Obviously it's Arcadia you need to check with....

Hi Bob,

Yes, I'm aware of those issues. That's the best part about working with a contractor. They take care of all those things. This time I might just do it my way at my own risk.

I'll just say this. There used to be a small real messed up "house" around the corner. One day I found their dog on the street, and when I knocked a littler harder, the whole front door fell off! That rotten structure/land sold for around $750k, so yeah spending 40-50k for a converted garage in this area doesn't sound so bad after all!

I'm saving $$$ for my own house just over the border in PA (I work in NY)...

If I had a big backyard, I would probably consider a separate structure. Converting the garage is my only option in this house. I've always lived by myself and LIKE my selfish life style very much so. What's changed is that my parents are getting older and eventually I'd like for them to stay with me. That's another reason why I need to soundproof the madness.

Yes, he did a great job. That was the price just for soundproofing the garage. I put in some extra $$$ for sound treatment and ventilation. Temperature doesn't change violently in this area so that helps. I would've hired him again, but he passed away a while ago. New estimates that I got from other companies are double that amount. They didn't even sound convincing. Unless I find a great deal like that, I'm gonna have to do this myself.

Thanks for the link. There's a lot of info in there. How did you deal with air conditioning your basement?

How did you deal with air conditioning your basement?

My AC set-up is pretty basic. The two rooms of the studio take up most of the basement, so there's a window-mounted unit at the front feeding the control room via soffited ducting, and another at the rear feeding the live room.

In retrospect, I wish I had installed a mini-split ductless system. It would have been more expensive upfront but would have saved some effort in ducting and probably would have given me a little more convenience in controlling temps - but what I have is working well enough.

How did you deal with air conditioning your basement?

My AC set-up is pretty basic. The two rooms of the studio take up most of the basement, so there's a window-mounted unit at the front feeding the control room via soffited ducting, and another at the rear feeding the live room.

In retrospect, I wish I had installed a mini-split ductless system. It would have been more expensive upfront but would have saved some effort in ducting and probably would have given me a little more convenience in controlling temps - but what I have is working well enough.

I see. In my case I don't need a dedicated tracking room. I just need one giant room for everything. That's how I had it before too. In that studio, I was using one of those ductless Samsung systems.

I have a 20' X 20 ' / 400 square foot double garage conversion. ...

Did you do it yourself? What do you use it for primarily?

As I'm typing this, there's about 100 'Amazona viridigenalis' -otherwise known as red crowned parrots- screaming by the window! They seem to like all these fruit trees around the house A LOT! There's always a helicopter circling in the area...not to mention that local airport for small airplanes. Oh man I miss my studio so bad!

If you mean did I do the labor myself , omg no ! I have all the receipts , pretty sure it's been around 17 years...

Dave, I appreciate your response. Between your detailed explanation and pictures I got everything pretty much. How about the Garage door side of the structure? At the moment, mine is one of those common doors that moves up and down along a horizontal track. I have to remove all that...and eventually change the garage door altogether.

How quiet is your AC unit by the way. Quiet enough to record the piano ...? Listening to your recordings. Was the drum recorded in there as well?