Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

QSC 8/10/12.2 DSP EQ

These little K8.2s sound fine to me but noticed an even better sound by NOT using Default.

Instead I use 100 on the Sub as its a match for a B1200D.

Studio Monitor instead of Default.

And -6 dB on the Highest EQ Band.

I never touch my K12.2s and the KW153/181s dont have EQ and sound great.

But these little tweaks make a huge difference, surprising actually.

Ive taken all my Channel Filters off in my Mixer, every instrument with no dynamics, no EQ and no FX.

Only change on my DSP Mixer is LoCut Dual Slope Filters on Omnisphere and the SE-02.

Anyone else enjoy tweaking these speakers?

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was using a sub free EQ setting where you can start off with Stage Monitor, then cut the top 3 EQ bands for more bottom, if I wasnt playing Synth Bass parts I would have kept it.

Yeah the DSP choices made for crossovers and roll off slopes are very effective.

I actually liked the sound when I demod them. Once I got them at a club I used the various Presets and found that Studio Monitor as it is, sounds better than the Default Setting.

Usually these small tweaks arent very noticeable but they are on the 8s and 12s Ive got.

The K8.2s astound me. I cannot believe how such a small, lightweight speaker can sound so good and get so LOUD when called for. QSC really nailed it with the .2 series.

A lot of people (me included) said the exact same thing back when the originals came out! I've had my pair almost ten years and they still bring a grin to my face. I probably shouldn't try the .2s!

I also use the Studio Monitor setting with my 8.2 -- IIRC, when I tried out the various settings, the Default was too harsh.

Thats exactly what I noticed.

BX Digital Mono Maker works really well by closing the gap between a sub and 2 satellites.

Crossover and 100hz roll off kind of leaves a big hole with smaller cabinets so Mono Maker takes Stereo channels and turns frequencies below whatever you select, I choose 220hz and its hard to explain but the 2.1 system just glues itself to the sub instead of sounding so separated.

On the 12.2s I dont need the plug in.

But my point is on my Blue Sky 2.1 system plugs in work really well, every little detail can be heard, on Powered stage Monitors its never quite that noticeable but on all my QSC 8.2s plug ins keep me from buying another sub, or external tubes, etc.

Thanks for all the tips on getting the most out of the 8.2, I hadn't heard that about the Studio Monitor preset. But for those of us not using powerful plug-ins or a sub, or for that matter not going super low for synth bass parts, I guess you're overall recommending the Studio Monitor setting and rolling off some highs.

I sure wish that all manufacturers used BT for speaker adjustment. OK, going thru presets is not bad, obviously. But trying to adjust 1 parameter at a time and clearly hearing the difference is super time consuming and challenging, for me its a 2 person job.

That BX Digital Mono Maker looks amazing.

Is there an optimal bloom distance with the 8.2? Because of limited space at home and how I try to bring my monitors close to me when playing live, I typically have the 8.2 about 3 feet from me.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I also use the Studio Monitor setting with my 8.2 -- IIRC, when I tried out the various settings, the Default was too harsh.

Thats exactly what I noticed.

BX Digital Mono Maker works really well by closing the gap between a sub and 2 satellites.

Crossover and 100hz roll off kind of leaves a big hole with smaller cabinets so Mono Maker takes Stereo channels and turns frequencies below whatever you select, I choose 220hz and its hard to explain but the 2.1 system just glues itself to the sub instead of sounding so separated.

On the 12.2s I dont need the plug in.

But my point is on my Blue Sky 2.1 system plugs in work really well, every little detail can be heard, on Powered stage Monitors its never quite that noticeable but on all my QSC 8.2s plug ins keep me from buying another sub, or external tubes, etc.

Thanks much for these tips. I don't use plug ins, and I plan soon to get at least a single 10.2 to augment my current v1 QSC K8 for monitoring. I've been noticing a lot of subtle interactions on the bass end and overall presence with different combinations of tubes, EQ, DSP, modelling, compression, and speaker/cabinet size.

Your post somehow validates as well as encourages me to listen to my ears (and gut) to try to really hone in on a more punchy and responsive system for my bass guitar and bass synth and general synth sound.

I'll pay more attention now to crossover characteristics thanks to your post.

Hey yuze guys go have fun, you can get whatever sound you want from these really.

I just finished tweaking them to use on gigs without the Analog synth and Sub.

I basically just use Studio Monitor as a starting point then cut frequencies on the 4 band EQ.

Plenty of low end for EPianos, and the Digital Hardware like Blofeld or a D-05.