Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New MODX6: My first impressions

I decided to not get the new Casio PX-S3000. It's a great board, but my PX-5S is wonderful and a workhorse.

As some of you have followed along with never ending rig saga, you know I have been trying to put together a great hardware board only rig, especially for the summer festivals.

Enter the MODX.

I gigged for years with a Yamaha MOX6 then MOXF6. Combined with my PX5S,it was a very good and reliable rig.

Then the Montage came out, but I didn't want to spend the $$$ on it.

Then the MODX.

In a word: Excellent! First, I was able to take advantage of a memorial day coupon, plus my go to person at GC lowered the price before he applied to coupon. (He's one of those rare people at GC who knows his stuff)

Granted, the MODX is not a pure workstation like the old MOXF, however, you can get it to behave similarly with some deep programming.

I got it this past Saturday morning, and by the afternoon I had already begun programming. As a long time user of the MOX and MOXF, I am used to Yamaha's way of doing things. In other words I knew what to look for on the interface.

I did need to look up a couple things about the Superknob when it came to some complex things I wanted to do. Let me tell you, Bad Mister (Phil) writes some of the best, and easiest to understand tutorials.

I call the MODX my old MOXF on steroids.

Between the touch screen, Live Set, and Superknob, I am able to do things that previously required something like Mainstage or GigPerformer to do.

I have set up some complex performance where the Superknob will quiet one part, while raising two other parts by just going half way, then I can change the filter of the two sounding parts by raising the Superknob the rest of the way.

Superknob=Super cool.

I have my two FC-7 plugged in. One handles most volume functions, and the other is assigned to Superknob.

I like they kept the separate volume knobs for Master volume, A/D Input Gain, and USB Audio Volume.

The sounds are fantastic. I am enjoying the FM goodness.

I also like that I can bring over my old Motif/MOXF sounds, which I saved when I sold my MOXF.

Using the PX5S, I am able to play the complex pianos on the MODX. I just set my Zones on the PX5S to transmit on channels 1-4, so it plays the 4 parts that make up the good pianos on the MODX.

Once I am finished programming for my gig, I'll get some sound samples uploaded.

efTiJJ.jpg

Almost done with this song..

o2k1D8.jpg

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi David,

How do you compare it to the FA-06? I've been thinking of replacing it with the MODX but wasn't sure how the brass, strings, etc are... I know the APs & EPs are good. Want a good second tier to my RD-2000.

Thanks

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

Hi David, what are you doing for organs?

Im thinking of overhauling my live rig and throwing a MODX6 on top of a NS3. As someone with extensive Yamaha experience that also has the Casio,Im just wondering your approach to organ with that combo?

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Hi David, what are you doing for organs?

Im thinking of overhauling my live rig and throwing a MODX6 on top of a NS3. As someone with extensive Yamaha experience that also has the Casio,Im just wondering your approach to organ with that combo?

With just a little tweaking, the organs on the MODX are just fine in a rock band setting. That's the only situation in which I play organ sounds so this works for me.

David

I decided to not get the new Casio PX-S3000. It's a great board, but my PX-5S is wonderful and a workhorse.

plus the PX-5S directly drives a MOXF/MODX, the PX-S3000 does not (lacking a standard MIDI jack). I think the PX-5S is way more flexible anyway, with hexlayers, fully programmable controls, 4 MIDI zones, etc. It's a lot to trade off for the updated action and piano sounds.

Using the PX5S, I am able to play the complex pianos on the MODX. I just set my Zones on the MODX to transmit on channels 1-4, so it plays the 4 parts that make up the good pianos on the MODX.

Another way to go could be to set the PX5S Zones to trigger channels 9-12 and placing your MODX pianos (or other sounds) there. Then you can simultaneously play up to 4 MODX parts on the Casio while playing up to 8 other MODX parts on the MODX... but you lose seamless sound switching between performances. But you could have different PX5S Stage Settings for different scenarios as needed.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hi David,

How do you compare it to the FA-06? I've been thinking of replacing it with the MODX but wasn't sure how the brass, strings, etc are... I know the APs & EPs are good. Want a good second tier to my RD-2000.

Thanks

I used to gig with an FA-08. Great board. Yes, the SN brass and strings from Roland are very good.

I think they are just fine in the MODX. I use mostly Synth Brass and Synth String sounds.

While i love the FA-08, I did not get along with the FA-06 at all. Due to the keys that were too narrow and just a bit too short for me.

I also have to look at the total package. Live Set touch screen and Superknob capability of the MODX is what heavily pushed me that direction.

As I said above, yes there are some limitations on using it as a Master board, but there are workarounds when you get into some deep editing, and also how you setup your other board.

David

I'd say the MODX brass and strings are generally better than the stock FA ones (which are all from the old XV-5080 except for the SN Ensemble Strings), but if you're using your Axial Expansion space for brass and strings, it might be a tougher call. Though also, if similar Roland brass and strings you like can be found in the RD-2000, you can always use MIDI to incorporate those sounds into your MODX Performances as well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

How are you getting along with the action David? Ok?

I was one who found the MOXF6 action to be just fine. The MODX6 action feels similar, and so far is working out for me.

I have no issue running off some synth runs,and the velocity sensitivity suits my playing. I am able to get quite nuanced with my playing.

One thing I noticed is the pianos respond extremely well.when I play them from either my PX5S or my Roland DS-88.

As with many board when they come from the factory, some of the effects are layered in pretty strong, so you have to really fine tune the sounds

David

I've played the 6 and the 8 in the shop near me. The 6 is just ok, it's not the same action as on the Montage 6 - which would have been preferable (although I understand of course not possible perhaps at this price point). Similar to many other synth actions - better than the FA-06 which is, pardon my french, poop.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Thanks for the mini review- look forward to more impressions. Esp for the use of its audio interface for live and DAW work.

This is just me of course, but with only a $200 increase in price, I'm surprised anyone would get the 61 note version! I've so longed for the sweet 73/76 note boards! Of course I only take one board out when I play-

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Using the PX5S, I am able to play the complex pianos on the MODX. I just set my Zones on the MODX to transmit on channels 1-4, so it plays the 4 parts that make up the good pianos on the MODX.

Another way to go could be to set the PX5S Zones to trigger channels 9-12 and placing your MODX pianos (or other sounds) there. Then you can simultaneously play up to 4 MODX parts on the Casio while playing up to 8 other MODX parts on the MODX... but you lose seamless sound switching between performances. But you could have different PX5S Stage Settings for different scenarios as needed.

Yes! out of necessity I learned a long time ago how to manipulate the zone settings on the PX5S to play nice with others :)

I have one stage setting that I call "Local Off" Each zone sound generator is "OFF"

I am also setting up the various MODX Performances to call stage settings on the PX5S, as sometimes I like layering for monster sounds :)

David

You're all welcome.

I've only had the board for a couple days. However, my knowledge of modern Yamaha programming on the small black and white screen of the MOX family has meant my learning curve is very small.

In fact, I hadn't even looked at the manual before I started programming some of the basics. The touch screen is a godsend.

As I said above, I did go to yamahasynth to read Bad Mister's excellent tutorials on the Super Knob.

I also turned off the damned pulsating of it's light :)

David

I also turned off the damned pulsating of it's light :)

At first, it bugged me.

But now I use it to check tempo on songs I start (and point it out to the drummer on songs he started too fast! He really likes that! ;) ;) )

More things that make me happy:

I just downloaded the free Bosendorfer Imperial. Nice

Also, I just realized John Melas makes his excellent software for the Montage and MODX. I used the MOXF Tools extensively.

While the MODX has the big touch screen, it is still much easier to do editing on the Mac. Also, the librarian is invaluable.

David

The PX-5S makes an excellent controller with its 4 zones. The sliders and knobs are handy too, great for assigning to different zones, like volume. The action is very playable, and its lightweight and shallow form factor are bonuses too. Loved mine, although its up against a wall since I got Nord Stage 2 HA76 to replace it.

The touchscreen on the Montage/MODX sure does help on decrypting the Yamaha workspace if that's something you're not used to.

I think the soundset is fine for live work, although I was expecting my MODX7 to add more capability to my Kronos + Integra setup. Inflated expectations can skew things sometimes.

Best thing for you is both PX-5s + MODX are very lightweight and capable. And since you augment with software anyway, you've probably got one of the better lightweight, versatile rigs out there for gigging rock musicians nowadays.