Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ELP: Birth of a Band

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well now you've done it; I'm 46 minutes in and can't stop watching. It was supposed to be a quick dip with a few jump points for a taster.

Fascinating stuff, and the interviews are great, along with Keith's amazing playing in the 2005 snippets that are just him hacking around during the interview. Hard to believe he'd take his life a decade later; he seems so happy here.

Greg Lake remained beautiful even as he got fatter and fatter, because of his soul, which I always thought the deepest and the most gregarious of the three.

Carl Palmer's spots are refreshing and a pleasure to watch, and take some of the taint off of his more recent ego-centric moves and talks.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I confess that it makes me twitchy when the visual and the audio don't match, e.g. Keith Emerson being shown playing the Hammond when the audio is clearly Moog synthesizer, or being shown playing Hammond when he's clearly playing the piano intro for Take A Pebble, etc.

In fact, Keith at the Hammond seems to be 80% of what they show, regardless of what he was actually playing.

That said...yeah, pretty cool link.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Hard to believe he'd take his life a decade later; he seems so happy here.

I felt the same way until I saw a more recent video on YouTube where the fingers on his right hand keep curling in on themselves everytime he played a run. It was crystal clear even with terrible resolution that he was struggling (although he sounded great). What a tragedy. Infirmity is a bitch.

"For instance" is not proof.