Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Running stereo from Key Largo?

How is this supposed to be done? I just got it. On Saturday night, the sound guy just put the xlrs into 2 different channels. That doesn't seem right.

Should they have been panned left and right on each channel?

Is there a proper way to do this?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is this one:

link

then the keyboard left output would go into channel one left and the same keyboards right output would go into channel one right. Send both xlr outputs from the radial to the FOH. The FOH mixer needs to pan one of the XLR's hard left and the other hard right. You don't need to do any panning on the radial, it is already done for you.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Yep. That's what I meant. I knew how to set it up on my end. The sound guy never panned my channels hard left and right. That's what I was asking in my question. Thanks for confirming!! Much appreciated!

kwyn -

Are your patches set up in such a way that hard panning is required?

I just want to run the pianos and organ in stereo and the mixer has a left and right out. My Nord pianos sound better in stereo and the legend recommends running stereo with their Leslie sim

American Loopers.

Hell make you a Pedal with quality components with a switch that offers Mono Out or Stereo Out.

Very reasonable and good quality work.

I used one for my HX-3 that went from Rotary to Dry (Mono) for external Hardware FX.

Just a Stereo In Mono Out might be useful.

Im using mine that way when we get a Mono only FOH.

Most House systems I see are using Midas Boards and good Arrays In Stereo.

I use a PianoTeq Rhodes, Keyscape FM Piano mixture with Strymon Mobius Vibrato or Tremolo and if Ping Pong sound incredible.

Love Stereo FOH and Stage Monitors.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Two mixer channels panned hard left and right. Simple enough.

So easy nowadays to get a nice full stereo sound. Standard configuration around my area in Central Florida is two tops on poles on top of subs, each straddled stage left and right. Not acoustically perfect but plenty good.

Why not? When competing with that Marshall stack, you don't need excessive volume. Leslie stereo, auto pan synth voices, stereo chorus and reverb, and you're automatically "present" without much effort...

Things to consider if you're NOT the sound guy - How is the PA being run with regard to mono / stereo, imaging, etc.

No matter what the hardware looks like (e.g., two tops or columns), FOH may be set up to run mono or very-narrow-band stereo. This may be intentional, convenience, or set up by someone other than the person mixing live sound that evening.

There are a lot of reasons the guy running the line mix may not run a hard LR pan of your keyboard feed. I find it never hurts to ask the FOH person what he/she wants...and why.

So how would you use the key largo with a keyboard amp and foh? What would be the best signal chain?

Keyboards into Key Largo inputs. Main outs to FOH, Monitor out to amp.

Most mics have XLR connections and would therefore not be running through the Key-Largo. They would just go straight to the house and you would get them sent back to you in the monitor.

To add on this to eliminate any confusion (not to correct you Eric), it isnt about the connector itself, as well as that a mic needs a mic pre amp, which the key largo channels do not have. So a simple adapter from jack to XLR wont do.

Rudy

No matter what the hardware looks like (e.g., two tops or columns), FOH may be set up to run mono

Came here to comment this exact thing. Depends on the club, but they are often mono because of the amount and density of people in the crowd will kill the balance in most locations on the floor.

"For instance" is not proof.

Disclaimer I don't have a key largo, but: Normally you can always run unbalanced on balanced output. The balanced cables could give you a better (i.e. less noisy) sound than the unbalanced.

Rudy

How about this question:

What if you want keyboards in input 1 and 2, can you get a mix from FOH in input 3? Then those could go to my monitor from the monitor outs on the Key Largo?

Or would that sound bad, with my keys coming from directly out of key largo into the monitor and also my keys coming back from FOH?

How about this question:What if you want keyboards in input 1 and 2, can you get a mix from FOH in input 3? Then those could go to my monitor from the monitor outs on the Key Largo?

Can't do that. Input 3 would still output to the Mains as well.

The KL rack can do this.

Yes. That's exactly why I switched to the KL Rack.

A second hand Shure P4M served perfectly as a way to do this with the Key Largo.

Where did you find the rack? How much $?

If you're running a mono monitor you could send it EFX send from the KL rather than use the monitor out. Then you just bring up your keyboard channels, not the FOH monitor channel. That should work.

Can you explain in a little more detail?

If you're running a mono monitor you could send it EFX send from the KL rather than use the monitor out. Then you just bring up your keyboard channels, not the FOH monitor channel. That should work.

Not ideal because:

- You must have something in the main mix or it won't appear on the fx send - fx send is post "fader". So you couldn't keep the house mix that you want just in your monitor from going back out to the house again.

The Aux return coupled with the Cue button on the new rack version gets around this. If you have a tabletop KL, then the cleanest solution to a house mix is another small mixer as some of us are using. I know, not very clean!

Moe

---

Thanks, how about if you are micing a Leslie? Two to three mics, how would that fit in?

I apologize bachsteady, somehow in my mind I thought you were going thru a Leslie sim, not using actual mics on an actual Leslie speaker.

As others have pointed out, the Key Largo does not have mic preamps. To get your Leslie mics up to a decent level, you will need some type of preamp before you hit the Key Largo.

I imagine by now you've already figured out what needs to be done...

• 3 years later...

Hi how do I set up the Key Largo Pedal. It's sounds like I might need this pedal in the future. I have 3 sperate keyboards.

A piano, a Hammond Organ, and a Moog synth. I'm looking into creating a pedal board in the near future. How would I be able to connect my organ to my Leslie speaker running thru the key largo to get effect pedals thru all 3 keyboards?