Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2018-2019 Thread

Great to see the Raptors even up with the Bucks. Will be good TV to see if they can take a game in Milwaukee.

Barkley did offer a full on-screen mea culpa, stating he was 100% wrong and that the Warriors sweep of the Blazers puts Steph back in the conversation for best player (his take, not sure anyone else cares about that).

So I appreciate he can admit when he's blown a prediction (which is not uncommon in sports journalism). But I think he realizes he's primarily a shoot-from-the-hip provocateur, not a measured analyst like Kenny the Jet. That's his schtick, and it's carried him this far.

More interesting to me is the more thoughtful take on the Warriors that it's NEVER been about "KD vs. Steph, who's greater or more essential", or that the Dubs are 31-1 when Steph plays and KD doesn't, or that the ball slows down when KD plays, or anything like that. That isn't the system the Kerr has built.

What Kerr has built is a system that leverages the embarrassment of riches on the roster, and simply looks at winning rather than individual player glory.

You want to play like the Rockets? We have a line up that will answer that.

You want to play like the Blazers? We have an answer to that.

KD out? We have an answer to that.

Bring on a gimpy Boogie to rehab on our roster? We can do that.

Iggy pull up sore for a couple games? We can adjust.

Kerr's genius, I think, is the ability to use the wealth of tools on the roster to answer whatever a worthy opponent confronts you with. And build a corporate culture that is unselfish enough to not bother with egos and who's greatest or most important - and just adjust lineups, matchups and strategy to adjust (and sometimes confound).

Why talk about who has what stats and glory and such. Why not just win?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive comeback by the Raptors to win those four games! Some of us miss Kyle Lowry down here, especially seeing what he's doing now.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yeah, we can hope Kawhi resigns, but it really does feel like this is the year. Too bad the Dubs are statistically the best NBA playoff team of all time, but that's why they play the games! Should be a good series.

any prediction ?

I haven't followed your team. So, I have none at this time. The match ups should be great to see in theory, then in action.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Kawhi is on another level right now. Scoring, rebounding, defending, playmaking, you name it. He's been the definition of clutch this spring, raising his game every time the team needs it.

It's gonna take a massive effort, but Masai put together a smart and scrappy team that can hopefully make some noise. They certainly believe in themselves.

And weve got Drake, our official ambassador of goodwill, pacing the sidelines and playing the same role with obstreperous visitors as Sven does here in the KC. If Steph Curry wants to challenge a questionable call and doesnt want Drake releasing a nasty satirical song about him this summer, he damn well better google the instant replay and check out what really happened before he wastes the refs time whining about something he should already know.

“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Polychrest,

You realize your ambassador already has tattoos of Steph and KD, is longtime friends with a few of the Dubs, has flown off to party with them, and has already written lyrics about the Dubs 'running practice at my house'? I doubt Drake will prove an annoyance to GS.

I am hoping for a strong, competitive series - congrats to Toronto for finishing strong over the Bucks. Finals starting in T-minus...

Steph spent two years living in Toronto as a kid when his dad played for the Raps. He was already showing flashes of his huge talent on the court. Hes much-loved up here. As for Drake, the Bucks blew it when they let his annoying antics become a thing. They were new to this level of competition (as were those of us not named Kawhi). You guys arent. It should be fun.

“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Dubs versus Raps final should be entertaining. My prediction is GS takes it in 5 games unless the NBA wants 6 games. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 2 weeks later...

And Klay played great too, gotta hand it to him.

But yeah, Kawhi is clutch city, and most everyone is stepping up at one point or another.

Closing out at home?? Gonna be tough.

Anyone think KD is coming back? Depending on which pundits I listen to, some people say he could come back and single-handedly win the series, some say he's not coming back at all.

I dunno, closing out at home doesnt look all that tough to me, judging from the last four games. If Durant is back for game 5, anything could happen.

I have the feeling KD is out, though. I mean, he has much to lose and little to gain. If he doesnt come back, the story will be Dubs couldnt do it without Durant. If he does come back, hell have to win the next three games, a tall order against these Raptors.

And can we get a moment of silence for DeMar DeRozan? Poor guy...

Yeah, DeRozan worked hard to elevate his team's play. It's too bad he's not there to reap the rewards.

I've been enjoying watching the Raptors win, and I'll be happy for Canada if they win the Finals. I don't dislike Golden State at all, but I don't like watching one team dominate year after year. (Longtime readers of these NBA threads may recall that I said the same thing about my second favorite team, the Lakers.)

In hindsight, it's not surprising to see injuries taking their toll on the Dubs. Any team, in any sport, that repeatedly goes all the way in the postseason faces extra wear and tear that other teams don't have to endure. I'll be surprised if Durant returns; and if he does, I don't expect him to do so at full strength.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Raptors are a better team and have outplayed the Warriors. I say that as a huge Warriors fan. Raptors have some great shooters. Steph can't do it all, and even with Klay they can't do it all. Gotta make those 3-point shots and get the rebounds.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I dunno, closing out at home doesnt look all that tough to me, judging from the last four games.

Just trying not to get ahead of myself... :D St Louis couldn't close out the Stanley Cup at home tonight, although that series has arguably been tighter. KD is officially questionable for tomorrow night, although he practiced today. If Kawhi has a Kawhi night, the Warriors will have to have one of their great games to push it to six.

And can we get a moment of silence for DeMar DeRozan? Poor guy...

And Dwane Casey. We can probably throw JV in there too. Sacrifices must be made to win a championship, especially in the Warriors era (thankfully LeBron wasn't a factor this year). Credit Masai and Bobby Webster for getting it right. Those guys are all really good at their jobs, but they couldn't get over the hump.

Yeah, DeRozan worked hard to elevate his team's play. It's too bad he's not there to reap the rewards.

I've been enjoying watching the Raptors win, and I'll be happy for Canada if they win the Finals. I don't dislike Golden State at all, but I don't like watching one team dominate year after year. (Longtime readers of these NBA threads may recall that I said the same thing about my second favorite team, the Lakers.)

In hindsight, it's not surprising to see injuries taking their toll on the Dubs. Any team, in any sport, that repeatedly goes all the way in the postseason faces extra wear and tear that other teams don't have to endure. I'll be surprised if Durant returns; and if he does, I don't expect him to do so at full strength.

Best,

Geoff

I feel the same way. I don't feel strongly about either team winning. I think Siakam and Lowry's stock has gone up in this series. And we all knew this, but Kawhi is amazing.

And to make things more interesting tonight, KD is coming back for Game 5.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kevin-durant-injury-update-steve-kerr-confirms-warriors-superstar-will-play-in-game-5-of-nba-finals/

Man oh man oh man!

What a game! Dubs live to fight another day. Hoping this series goes to seven.

I still don't understand why Cousins' goal in the last minute was disallowed? Is that a new rule? Because I remember guys doing that all the time back in the day.

KD wanted to come back too soon, I guess. I hope he hasn't made things worse for himself.

The Raptors showed up, though! I honestly want both teams to win the championship!

....I still don't understand why Cousins' goal in the last minute was disallowed? Is that a new rule? Because I remember guys doing that all the time back in the day....

I don't fully understand the offensive interference rule that got called on Cousins. The rule prohibits touching the ball while it is "within the cylinder extending upwards from the rim". Does anyone know if this means if *any part* of the ball is within that imaginary cylinder, or does more than half of the ball need to be within that imaginary cylinder for the call to be made? To my eyes, the replays showed that only a small part of the ball was still within that imaginary cylinder when Cousins' hand made contact with the ball.

Sources: Warriors believe KD has torn Achilles

Durant will have an MRI on Tuesday to determine the severity of the injury. If it is a torn Achilles, he'll miss most of the next season. I wonder how that will affect his free agency, not to mention his ability to ever play at his best again.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

So with the whole forum migration we never got to congratulate the Raptors fans with their maiden title.

Congrats, Eric!

Big question is how the Dubs will do without KD and Klay next season. And will an aging Lebron be able to bring glory to the Lakers now that Anthony Davis is joining him here?