Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Its been 8 Months- has MODX met your plans/expectations ?

...but that PC4 in a 76 synth action would be great replacement for ...

I´d be in for a 61 keys version.

Up to now I play my PC361 as a MIDI combo w/ my 88 weighted keyboard.

I´d like to upgrade when there will be a PC4-61.

A.C.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I´d be in for a 61 keys version.

Up to now I play my PC361 as a MIDI combo w/ my 88 weighted keyboard.

I´d like to upgrade when there will be a PC4-61.

From the pics, the only way that control surface fits in a 61-key space is if they move the pitch/mod wheels down to the left of the keys... in which case it is no longer much smaller than a 76 with the wheels higher, so I'm not sure there's much benefit to a 61 here.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The sounds on the Montage and MODX are the same and patches are interchangeable. You dont have the polyphony and similarly the number of layers.

Same sample polyphony, but Montage has double the FM synth polyphony. Both support 8 layers from the keyboard, but Montage always seamlessly switches among them, MODX won't seamlessly switch to or from a sound that has 5 or more layers (parts).

Other Montage advantages: more front panel controls, better action, internal power supply, assignable outs, separate effects on all 16 parts when driven externally (vs. 12 on MODX), balanced outs, aftertouch, ribbon controller, PAC (pure analog circuit), and maybe some other stuff...

Scott, very helpful, thanks !

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Also... Montage has 1.75 GB memory for user samples, vs 1 GB on MODX

and from http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-modx-vs-montage/

USB audio in, MODX = 4 channels (2 stereo), Montage = 6 channels (3 stereo)

USB audio out, MODX = 10 channels (5 stereo), Monage = 16 channels

Sampling frequency, MODX = 44.1kHz, Montage = Up to 192kHz

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I passed on selling my Roland FA-07 and replacing it with a MODX7.

I am continuing to reconsider this. I picked up one of the first FA-07s 2 years ago. I like it, I take care of it, have a soft Gator case for it and am not gigging with it relentlessly or hard.

I like the keybed on the FA-07, but I just don't feel like the plastic build is going to hold up for long. It will start to come apart and the components are cheap.

I don't know if I am going to replace it with a MODX7 at this point, something heavier, or just dump the FA-07 to use a Komplete Kontrol and Mainstage setup on a laptop going forward.

I think good quality keybeds and the build quality of a solid instrument still matter, and I'm still going back and forth on whether MODX7 is the answer for me there.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Jeff,

DOn't be afraid of the modern plastics used in these boards. I gigged heavily with a Yamaha MOX6 then MOXF6 for years.

Never a problem. Nothing broke. My old FA-08, while much heavier, was mostly plastic. Heck, I dropped it once from waist level, and nothing broke.

If you dissect the MODX 6 or 7, you can see how they built strength into it with the underside shape of the "spars".

Finally, my Casio PX5S which has a plastic case, top and bottom, has seen the heaviest use, and nothing on the board has ever broken.

Just take care of them. If you're hauling them yourself, the soft cases are okay. If they are in a truck or van, get a hard case....as you would for any instrument, plastic or aluminum.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Had mines for a few months. My thoughts:

I bought it to be a synth & sound design scratch pad, and to be a 1-board solution for gigs.

Sounds kick-ass. I truly think it's the closest hardware equivalent to a soft-synth rig running omnisphere. Motion-control is stupid powerful and deep.

I was looking forward to getting in deep and programming it for gigs. Then I found out that programming sounds for a 60 song setlist for a band you've been playing with regularly for over 7 years isn't actually fun. If I was doing new songs, sure. But I just didn't enjoy the endless days of programming the first 3 weeks I had it.

Considering how deep it is, the MODX is fairly okay to programme...but it isn't the easiest in the world either. Getting my head around the effects and CC mapping was a frustrating endevour. Wasn't too bad once I learned it, though.

The keyboard is so deep that I discovered I don't actually like deep instruments and programming as much as I thought. I thought I'd enjoy getting lost in sound design late into the wee hours at home, when actually I've found enjoy the simplicity of playing the hell out of a few good sounds much more.

It's a good board, and I'm about to take it out to a rehearsal just now for a big gig I have at the end of June. The gig is pretty synth intensive, and I know that whatever happens the MODX will see me through as comfortably as a soft-synth rig would. It got compliments from other band members too. Very warm sounding.

Once that gig is done though, I've a mind to sell it. I can't see myself using it for the gigs I have booked for the rest of the year. My Electro could cover most of those gigs.

If I had a lot of synth based gigs with complex sounds and setups needed, I'd keep the MODX and chase away anyone who tried to take it from me with a stick. But the simple truth is I don't, and I'd rather spend my time playing than programming.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I passed on selling my Roland FA-07 and replacing it with a MODX7...I don't know if I am going to replace it with a MODX7 at this point, something heavier, or just dump the FA-07 to use a Komplete Kontrol and Mainstage setup on a laptop going forward...I think good quality keybeds and the build quality of a solid instrument still matter, and I'm still going back and forth on whether MODX7 is the answer for me there.

While I'm okay with plastic construction, I briefly had an FA-07 and decided to return it because I mostly preferred the Kurzweil Artis 7 I already had.

Each had some sounds I preferred, but Kurz had more of them, especially in its emulation of vintage keys (EPs, mellotron, etc.). Kurz has the better clonewheel implementation (including 9-slider drawbar control, C/V, better rotary/overdrive combination). Kurz has a better implementation of seamless sound transitions, and a more flexible architecture in a number of ways, including better real-time manipulation of splits/layers (including the ability to have simultaneous volume controls for multiple parts, including mixing and matching of internal and external sounds). I like its traditional wheels better than Roland's combo pitch/mod lever. And while not a priority for me, Kurz does have the metal chassis and internal power supply.

Roland's advantages include on-board (rather than computer/ipad-based) editing, sample trigger pads, and sequencer, none of which I really needed, though it did have two temptations... the assignable sub out and the lighter weight. But overall, for me, the Kurz was the better board.

But MODX7 vs. Artis 7 is a more difficult choice. I really like a lot of Yamaha sounds, plus its got the 1GB sample memory to help address gaps. The FM synth. The touchscreen patch selection. And it still has many (though not all) of the advantages the Kurz has over the FA. So unlike my trial ownership of the FA, I ended up keeping the MODX7. There are still areas where Kurz has the edge, though.

The more I am digging into the MODX programming it, the more I am finding it is a lot like having Mainstage in a hardware board, at least the way I use MS.

The way Yamaha brought a lot of the commonly desired functions up to the top level in editing, makes it a breeze to set things up.

Example: One of my performances is made up up three separate parts (that actually takes up 6 parts)

The intro sound, which is 1 part, the Main sound, which is 1 part, and the break sound, which takes up 4 parts.

All split across the keyboard in their own zones. Part 1 and 2 have their own zones, Parts 3-6 are in one zone, so 3 zones.

I only wanted the MODX to physically play that 3rd sound, while my PX5S plays the first two sounds on the MODX.

On my old MOXF, you could eventually get to this, but you had to dig down deep.

On the MODX, it was simply a case of turning off the Keyboard from the touch screen on the first two parts.

Another great thing: You can save the state of the Super knob, and any assignable knobs per performance, and Scenes within that performance.

So far, I have programmed most of my gig using ONLY sound from the MODX. with my PX5S as my 88 note controller.

Just like I do with Mainstage.

Lastly, I do agree with some others here that even with the touchscreen, you still have to go deep for some things. It's the Yamaha way :)

Luckily I cut my teeth on programming Yamaha's on the MOX and MOXF where everything was a deep dive. It gives me a leg up with the MODX, since I know what Yamaha calls the things I am looking for.

Out of the box, the MODX is very capable. If you really want to take advantage of the power inside it (and it's big brother Montage), you do have to have patience and really explore.

I have the luxury of time, since I have a set up (Mainstage/Gigperformer) that I can use until I get the MODX programmed.

David

Had mines for a few months. My thoughts:

I bought it to be a synth & sound design scratch pad, and to be a 1-board solution for gigs.

Sounds kick-ass. I truly think it's the closest hardware equivalent to a soft-synth rig running omnisphere. Motion-control is stupid powerful and deep.

I was looking forward to getting in deep and programming it for gigs. Then I found out that programming sounds for a 60 song setlist for a band you've been playing with regularly for over 7 years isn't actually fun. If I was doing new songs, sure. But I just didn't enjoy the endless days of programming the first 3 weeks I had it.

Considering how deep it is, the MODX is fairly okay to programme...but it isn't the easiest in the world either. Getting my head around the effects and CC mapping was a frustrating endevour. Wasn't too bad once I learned it, though.

The keyboard is so deep that I discovered I don't actually like deep instruments and programming as much as I thought. I thought I'd enjoy getting lost in sound design late into the wee hours at home, when actually I've found enjoy the simplicity of playing the hell out of a few good sounds much more.

It's a good board, and I'm about to take it out to a rehearsal just now for a big gig I have at the end of June. The gig is pretty synth intensive, and I know that whatever happens the MODX will see me through as comfortably as a soft-synth rig would. It got compliments from other band members too. Very warm sounding.

Once that gig is done though, I've a mind to sell it. I can't see myself using it for the gigs I have booked for the rest of the year. My Electro could cover most of those gigs.

If I had a lot of synth based gigs with complex sounds and setups needed, I'd keep the MODX and chase away anyone who tried to take it from me with a stick. But the simple truth is I don't, and I'd rather spend my time playing than programming.

If you just want to do the simple programming and setup you can do in Electro - thats pretty simple to do in MODX. Sounds like youre going 100 miles past that stop sign and then noticing its a longer journey. Im not an electro expert so apologies if im Missing the bigger picture but assigning APs, EPS, simple strings and synth sounds without heavy editing is pretty much a no brained snap once youve done it twice.

Maybe its just down to preference of the simple setups - base sounds. Or maybe its clone - there you probably find a clear preference. You can extract passable B3 with some work or 3rd party libraries but it is work and still only passable. If you prefer Electro, use it. No wrong answer really.

I program every song i play as a separate Performance. If i had to build 60, Id find it a bit daunting and like you, i dont program for love of programming - i just want the end result as fast as possible. Id rather spend time practicing songs than programming songs.

I was fortunate to be migrating from Motif XF and MOXF, so all of the prior hard work (which was must harder in either of those) I spent. 5 years building up transferred with no issue. Ive probably programmed 15 or so songs since the migration - but between the presets and all of the prior custom programs i imported, I can find a great close starting point.

I havent even learned a lot of the most advanced features in the MODX - dont need them and as noted, i dont program to program, i program to get somewhere. I do intend to ... soon .... lol.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Just two of the main features alone really tempt me to buy an MODX - the ability to morph/bring in other sounds using Superknob and setting Scenes within a performance.

That's got to be incredibly useful playing live and if they're easy to program that elevates it above most of the competition at the price.

Just two of the main features alone really tempt me to buy an MODX - the ability to morph/bring in other sounds using Superknob and setting Scenes within a performance.

That's got to be incredibly useful playing live and if they're easy to program that elevates it above most of the competition at the price.

There is a bit of a learning curve to understanding the Scenes within a performance and getting it sorted out.

However, Phil (Bad Mister) has wonderful tutorials that with one read thru, I was good to go.

David

Question: can the touch screen on the MODX be used for external zone patch changes, either to my Nord Electro 5D or my Mac running MainStage?

Yes. The "Zone Master" function allows you to create Performances that send MIDI Program Changes (possibly up to 16 of them, definitely at least 8), and Performances are selected from the touch screen, either directly or via a Live Set. (Changing Performances will also simultaneously determine your assignment of internal sounds, just like a Korg Combi, Roland Studio Set, Kurzweil Setup/Multi, etc.).

I gig with this board weekly and I'm 98% happy. Why 98% ? Just because. :-)

I've made Performances and Live Sets, used SampleRobot to create new waveforms, etc., so I've gotten into the guts. Like MotiDave, I'm fortunate to come in from MOXF and other Yamaha synths.

If you'd like to read my blog posts about working with MODX, browse:

sandsoftwaresound.net

and search on "MODX".

All the best -- pj

Did the first full show with the MODX last night.

Wonderful! All sounds I used came from the MODX. I used my PX-5S as my 88 note controller.

My pianos were from the Bosendorfer set downloaded from Yamaha.

The touch screen really does make a difference. During/after soundcheck, I was able to quickly tweak a couple sounds all from the scree, unlike the deep menu diving of my old MOXF

The band really was impressed by my sounds I had dialed in.

On the technical/performing side, these are the cool things:

Live Set Screen and the ease of changing order before the gig.

Routing capabilities of the effects.

Pedals can have functions assigned per performance

SuperKnob! Allowed me to set up controls "Mainstage Style"

Scenes within a program let me change board setup during a song.

I ran the PX5S in the stage setting I have setup to be a "local off".

Each of the four zones were assigned MIDI channels 1 thru 4.

I then made sure all of the tone parts in that stage setting were set to on (even though they won't sound). That's how you get PX5S to transmit channels 5-16 simultaneously.

This is important on the MODX for the pianos that use 4 to 8 parts combined to get the good piano sound.

This also made it easy to setup some programs on the MODX to have some parts to only be played from the PX5S, and some from the MODX.

Now that I have a gig with it under my belt, I know various things I need to adjust as far as the sounds, as well as some control changes I need to make to make things more fluid.

here's a screen shot of Live Set Page 1. You will see several of my main piano (Imperial from Bosendorfer) listed, with different subtitles.

That's another feature I like. Once I got my main piano sound dialed in, and into a Live Set slot, I simply copied it into several more slots. Then, I could add the subtitle with the song name. That's how I keep track of where we are.

HJSjaf.jpg

Last thought: If this was my old MOXF, which I liked, there's no way I could have deeply programmed this gig in 6 days from purchase with that old deep diving "screen"

David

If you'd like to read my blog posts about working with MODX, browse:

sandsoftwaresound.net

and search on "MODX".

All the best -- pj

That's cool! I didn't realize that was you. I've been reading your MODX stuff since i bought the board. Good articles on how you do stuff :thu::cheers:

David

After 8 months, I don't absolutely love it, but I still think it's the best buy in the segment. Really, what else are you going to get at that price?

The position of the volume knob remains cumbersome for bottom-tier use, and I'd like a GH in there, but that's it. Easy to use, versatile, sounds great.

The Krome and FA have their strengths, but do feel dated in comparison.

Indeed, great blog website. Recommended.

Thanks, folks!

We're selling the house and switching coasts, so the number of new posts will slow down for a while.

Thanks for reading -- pj

Music technology blog: sandsoftwaresound.net

I tried a MODX-7 today and was surprised by how much I didn't like the action - which felt to me identical to the MOXF-6. I can't imagine playing piano on it outside of basic rock/chords and actually prefer the action on my SW Nord Electro, which itself is a compromise.

However the sounds are stellar, which is leading me towards a MODX-8 (they didn't have one on the floor but I played the Montage equivalent). I would pair this with a Viscount Legend or HX3 expander.

There was also a Yamaha CP-73 on the floor and I loved its action. For a compact solution to mainly piano gigs this would be hard to beat. The paucity of other sounds though is baffling - even the same amount as the CP-4 would have justified its price tag a little more.

I also tried a Stage 3 Compact and thought the MODX really trumped it in the synth section.

I tried a MODX-7 today...felt to me identical to the MOXF-6....actually prefer the action on my SW Nord Electro, which itself is a compromise.

I agree with all that, though I think the MODX feels slightly better than the MOXF. But close.

I also tried a Stage 3 Compact and thought the MODX really trumped it in the synth section.

Depends on the sound, and how much you like to make use of lots of real-time control.

I guess I am always curious why people say they don't like a non piano action board, based on wanting to use it for piano.

If you're looking for a one board solution, then there will be some compromise needed.

David

I tried a MODX-7 today and was surprised by how much I didn't like the action - which felt to me identical to the MOXF-6. I can't imagine playing piano on it outside of basic rock/chords and actually prefer the action on my SW Nord Electro, which itself is a compromise.

However the sounds are stellar, which is leading me towards a MODX-8 (they didn't have one on the floor but I played the Montage equivalent). I would pair this with a Viscount Legend or HX3 expander.

There was also a Yamaha CP-73 on the floor and I loved its action. For a compact solution to mainly piano gigs this would be hard to beat. The paucity of other sounds though is baffling - even the same amount as the CP-4 would have justified its price tag a little more.

I took a ride to the GC in Chicago on Saturday and had a similar experience with the MODX7. It was one of the cheapest feeling keybeds Ive used in a long time. I found it hard to play the piano patches expressively. Im disappointed because I thought it would be good enough for me to get by with it for piano. The light weight of the keyboard was really attractive. Guess Ive been spoiled with the non hammer keybed on my Kronos 61 and the hammer action on the CP4. So, if anything, I might go for the MODX8 in place of the CP4. I love the synths otherwise.

Yamaha C2, Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK1, Hammond XK-5 Heritage Pro System, Korg Kronos 2 61, Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil PC4-7, Nord Stage 3 73, Nord Wave 2, QSC 8.2, Motion Sound KP 210S,  Key Largo, etc…yeah I have too much…

I guess I am always curious why people say they don't like a non piano action board, based on wanting to use it for piano.

If you're looking for a one board solution, then there will be some compromise needed.

some compare it to a weighted keyboard, others compare it to $4000 flagship keyboards that weigh 2x to 3x as much and are larger. I would agree of someone found it similar to MOXF6. I think its slightly better but its in that range of key feel.

I don't find it that much different than Motif XF7 either, maybe a shorter throw (which doesn't feel good, requires you get used to it).

Comparing it to weighted keys is not a useful analysis imo. Not every board is for everyone, nothing wrong with some not liking it and not getting it. that makes sense to me. we don't wear the same clothes, eat the same food, drive the same car, ... no reason the MODX would magically conform all humans behind one decision.

its just great for me.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I tried a MODX-7... can't imagine playing piano on it outside of basic rock/chords

one of the cheapest feeling keybeds Ive used in a long time. I found it hard to play the piano patches expressively.

It's not surprising. The MODX7 action is poorly suited for piano, but I don't think any more so than the Krome 73, Juno DS76, FA-07. Though while, as David said, all non-hammer actions are a compromise, there are some better ones.

Thanks guys,

That's what I was getting at. Yes, keybeds are a totally subjective area. Yes, some non-piano actions are better than others for piano.

I just have never considered a non-piano action keyboard to use as the board I play piano on.

With all that being said:

The very best semi-weighted "synth action" board I ever had or played was the Roland Fantom X6. I could reasonably play piano on it if I had to.

David