Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Christian Sands is so great

More to my liking than Mehldau:

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the swingingest trio out there today. They have a couple of records out. "Live at the Village Vanguard" is a party and a half!

To me, Christian McBride is the keeper of the flame for all things straight ahead. His fusion stuff is pretty dope, too, but the acoustic music is the post-bop gold standard.

Christian Sands also has a few records which are great, but I like him best with McBride.

Never heard of him before! Amazing piano player! Thanks.

Nice find. Not quite up to the peerless standard set by Miles Davis rhythm sections with Paul Chambers, Wynton Kelly, Philly Jo, Red Garland etc. There is an x quality to that music that for me is transcendent. But by todays standard this trio is excellent.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

To me, McBride is the $#!^. And, I think he has picked up the crown of "hardest working man in show business" from his idol, James Brown. This dude is everywhere.

Sands is great. I'm a big fan and grateful for McBride for turning me on to him.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I saw Christian last year, with a great young trio.

I recommend finding the video of him playing "L-O-V-E," which I think was part of a performance on PBS. Should be easy to find, but I'm too lazy and typing this from my phone. Anyway, that performance is impressive because he really builds on a simple tune. His technique is so amazing that it threatens to overwhelm sometimes. Good to hear him restrain himself too.

OK here's the video:

Wow, thanks for turning me on to him - what a tasty player, and he's still so young. He's obviously done his homework and absorbed a lot of the masters. Touch, technique, taste... Check.

Maybe it's just me, but guys, why the conditional, or somewhat back-handed compliments? Can't we just enjoy a talent in and of itself?

Jerry

Very nice. I don't have the jazz-trained vocabulary to describe exactly what I like about him. He sounds very steeped in tradition, and he has enough confidence to not need to impress us with technique every moment.

I had the misfortune to see Jeff Golblum at the BottleRock festival in Napa this past weekend. I could feel my passion for jazz dying inside me with meaningless note Goldblum played. Sands has the complete opposite effect.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I had the misfortune to see Jeff Golblum at the BottleRock festival in Napa this past weekend. I could feel my passion for jazz dying inside me with meaningless note Goldblum played. Sands has the complete opposite effect.

Wow. That's pretty harsh. Is he really that bad?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Wow. That's pretty harsh. Is he really that bad?

Too harsh maybe, youre right. My point was to compliment Sands through a contrast. Im more likely to look to the past for inspiration than a current player. Sands is an exception.

Goldblum knows some of the vocabulary of jazz but doesnt know how to form sentences with it. Hes really just putting on s charade. Maybe the same could be said of me, but Im not putting on concerts where i present myself as a vanguard jazz musician.

But I could have contrasted Sands with real current pianists who dont inspire me.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

He sounds very steeped in tradition, and he has enough confidence to not need to impress us with technique every moment.
Christian Sands is the Creative Ambassador of the Erroll Garner Jazz Project (Jazz Night in America link)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI