Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Its been 8 Months- has MODX met your plans/expectations ?

MODX is on my shopping list later this year.

Interested in your ownership experience, given you have some months on it.

I am aware of the prior MODX key bed discussions here- very thorough and helpful.

No need to repeat unless you feel a clarification is needed. I am on the MODX forum.

While MODX is presented as a performance synth, it seems to be very capable as a center piece for the home studio , using Cubase or Cubase LE

Thanks for taking another effort to discuss the strengths [ or weaknesses] of this impressive keyboard.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry that my reply with go a little off topic here but- I played it a few times and don't get me wrong- I think it's very nice. ( A little busy in the layout though)-

However- going back 18 years.... I was much more excited about the original Motif. It had a better keybed, both Steinway and Yamaha pianos- (arguably the Modx sounds better I'm sure).

I'm in a holding pattern- I would consider getting it but feel as though someday Korg might come out with a successor to Kronos.

I think your points are perfectly ok.

How/where we spend our money on a keyboard is the main question

I have the same observation with arrangers- all those buttons. Button busy, etc

I agree- keyboards of 10-20 years ago were more solid, plastics came on strong later.

I think keyboard mfgrs listened to key board owner gripes,, '' too heavy etcetc "

As a long time Korg owner/watcher, I have convinced myself that Kronos is the last all in 1 hardware solution. So no waiting for Korg , IMO.

[70's Songwriter]

However- going back 18 years.... I was much more excited about the original Motif. It had a better keybed, both Steinway and Yamaha pianos- (arguably the Modx sounds better I'm sure).

I'm in a holding pattern

I responded here because I am actually both watching this MODX board just as the op is, and also in a similar holding pattern as well.

My Motif ES as a personal studio centerpiece still works great, with outstanding I/O flexibility, great keybed and a very useful full recording & step sequencer for writing and arranging TV bumps, jingles, etc. However I am drawn to & still considering the MODX 7 primarily for gigging purposes & Motif XF backwards compatibility. I would also appreciate any comments from forum members as well.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

However- going back 18 years.... I was much more excited about the original Motif...it had both Steinway and Yamaha pianos...

It did? What voices were Steinway vs Yamaha?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I'm in a holding pattern

I responded here because I am actually both watching this MODX board just as the op is, and also in a similar holding pattern as well.

My Motif ES as a personal studio centerpiece still works great, with outstanding I/O flexibility, great keybed and a very useful full recording & step sequencer for writing and arranging TV bumps, jingles, etc. However I am drawn to & still considering the MODX 7 primarily for gigging purposes & Motif XF backwards compatibility. I would also appreciate any comments from forum members as well.

thats another good perspective- the the ES or XF is such a perfect fit for a keyboardists requirements.

It would be less expensive for me to consider XF, etc. I am swayed to MODX due to:

2,370 new waveforms more than MOTIF XF

6,347 total waveforms.

2,000 preset performances- 640 user.

5,120 library performances.

10,239 arps

huge amount of arps in the MODX.

There are other reasons. its good to read from owners and folks on the fence like myself

[70's Songwriter]

I bought a MODX8 when it first came out. I got it so I could leave the Montage 8 at home for gigs, it's a beast. I would use either/or Montage 8 Kronos 88.

I ended up selling the MODX8 because I found the action terrible in comparison to the Montage/Kronos. Compared to the Montage otherwise, the light weight was great to carry, I though it sounded almost as good as the Montage - though the Montage's action is so much more expressive the pianos esp was alot better. And the walwart is a pia to me.

So for me I would still have it if it had a better action. Play one first would be my advice.

If you're going to be using a daw for all your sequencing and you're going to be not needing all the midi flexibility of some other boards, it's probably fine. Sound quality is very good.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I bought a MODX8 when it first came out. I got it so I could leave the Montage 8 at home for gigs, it's a beast. I would use either/or Montage 8 Kronos 88.

I ended up selling the MODX8 because I found the action terrible in comparison to the Montage/Kronos. Compared to the Montage otherwise, the light weight was great to carry, I though it sounded almost as good as the Montage - though the Montage's action is so much more expressive the pianos esp was alot better. And the walwart is a pia to me.

So for me I would still have it if it had a better action. Play one first would be my advice.

thats good advice. I plan to use my Kronos 88 as a midi controller to MODX. So my sights are on MODX 76. I understand the 76 key bed is similar to my FA-07.

My long term plans [10 yrs] are to have a Kronos for my 88 needs. I am ok with having a less than stellar key bed with the MODX. I know the cost involves some kind of trade off.

I don't gig, home studio type. If I did, I would have a more expensive approach esp since piano is a priority.

[70's Songwriter]

If you're going to be using a daw for all your sequencing and you're going to be not needing all the midi flexibility of some other boards, it's probably fine. Sound quality is very good.

I am going the Cubase route for recording. What I see with MODX, the DAW setup is simple with Cubase.

Really love the MODX guitars and other acoustic instruments. I am picky about the distortion FX Yamaha uses. I haven't bumped into any amp modeling they use- probably in the manual.

[70's Songwriter]

The Montage sound banks in the MODX are excellent. The only thing to bitch about is the organs - and depending on the gig, theyd still get you by - a KSounds Organimation patch is still an option. The demo unit I played - the graded GHS was pretty decent. Theres some talk about clacking in a few actions that went out, Id send it back for another if they havent sorted that yet. Id choose the MODX over the Korg Grandstage if this was upgrade season. Its great bang for the buck, the CP-88 breaks $2k and although I like the UI shift - it could use more patches from the Montage - maybe coming yet in an update.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

It would be less expensive for me to consider XF, etc. I am swayed to MODX due to:

6,347 total waveforms.

10,239 arps

People's needs are different. I'm happy with the move from the MOXF6 to the MODX7, but for none of the reasons you list. I've never used arps, and the larger set of waveforms hasn't really been a factor. Most of its sounds were already good enough for me on the MOXF, and the ones I was not impressed by--organ and EP--still don't float my boat despite the new organ and EP waves.

What made the move work for me was having 76 keys, the FM synth, seamless sound switching, Live Set touchscreen patch selection, and a better interface in general.

That said, the forthcoming Kurzweil PC4 looks very enticing to me, and while I will want to pair it with a non-hammer board, I'm not sure the MODX7 will be my choice for that role.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

As a gigging board that needs to cover a range of sounds, the MODX7 has exceeded my expectations. Love it - and for the gig I use it for it has made my software plugins redundant i.e. I just use Mainstage as a jumped up patch switcher :thu:

The Montage sound banks in the MODX are excellent. The only thing to bitch about is the organs - and depending on the gig, theyd still get you by - a KSounds Organimation patch is still an option.

I forgot that about the organs- will audition them. If they are not stellar, its not a deal breaker for me. I like the Kronos CX3 so I am set.

I understand that organs should be sweet, esp for a 1 board gigging setup.

[70's Songwriter]

6,347 total waveforms.

10,239 arps

People's needs are different. I'm happy with the move from the MOXF6 to the MODX7, but for none of the reasons you list. I've never used arps, and the larger set of waveforms hasn't really been a factor. Most of its sounds were already good enough for me on the MOXF, and the ones I was not impressed by--organ and EP--still don't float my boat despite the new organ and EP waves.

What made the move work for me was having 76 keys, the FM synth, seamless sound switching, Live Set touchscreen patch selection, and a better interface in general.

That said, the forthcoming Kurzweil PC4 looks very enticing to me, and while I will want to pair it with a non-hammer board, I'm not sure the MODX7 will be my choice for that role.

yes, I noticed that here- we have a variety of requirements [ as I call it] or different priorities for a keyboard.

For example, I rely on strong drums so ARPS, I am guessing, there are many drum patterns that are MODX ARPS.

[70's Songwriter]

Ya and the Kronos, Forte, Montage - thats a different tier/price.

If youre hot for the cheaper, lighter giggers trickle down boards the MODX competes with the Grandstage, maybe MP7SE, SP6, PX-5S/560, FA-08. The MODX is pretty appealing in that line up.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

If youre hot for the cheaper, lighter giggers trickle down boards the MODX competes with the Grandstage, maybe MP7SE, SP6, PX-5S/560, FA-08. The MODX is pretty appealing in that line up.

...especially since his needs include arps/drums. But also, in that list, you're assuming he's looking for a weighted 88, and it sounds like his preference is a non-hammer board, which narrows the field. (Though I'd say, from Korg, MODX is more of a Krome competitor, Yamaha's Grandstage competitor is probably closer to the CPs.)

But also, Greg, you mentioned organ not necessarily being a priority because you're happy with the CX3 in your Kronos. Similarly, then, there's so much in the Kronos, with Karma in the mix, do you really need to focus much on arpeggiators/drums in your MODX (or whatever else you choose)?

Or to take this in an entirely different direction... if you're looking for a different approach to generating drums and also keeping in mind that part of the appeal of the MODX was "guitars and other acoustic instruments" -- maybe an arranger is worth looking at, i.e. Yamaha PSRS975 or Korg PA1000. Here's a comparison video... the individual acoustic instrument comparison section starts at about 22 minutes in. Not obvious there but worth noting, the Korg has aftertouch, the Yamaha does not. So if you hear vibrato on a sound and he's not using the LH controls, on the Yamaha it's baked into the sound, on the Korg it's probably being generated by pressure.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

...especially since his needs include arps/drums. But also, in that list, you're assuming he's looking for a weighted 88, and it sounds like his preference is a non-hammer board, which narrows the field. (Though I'd say, from Korg, MODX is more of a Krome competitor, Yamaha's Grandstage competitor is probably closer to the CPs.)

But also, Greg, you mentioned organ not necessarily being a priority because you're happy with the CX3 in your Kronos. Similarly, then, there's so much in the Kronos, with Karma in the mix, do you really need to focus much on arpeggiators/drums in your MODX (or whatever else you choose)?

Or to take this in an entirely different direction... if you're looking for a different approach to generating drums and also keeping in mind that part of the appeal of the MODX was "guitars and other acoustic instruments" -- maybe an arranger is worth looking at, i.e. Yamaha PSRS975 or Korg PA1000. Here's a comparison video... the individual acoustic instrument comparison section starts at about 22 minutes in. Not obvious there but worth noting, the Korg has aftertouch, the Yamaha does not. So if you hear vibrato on a sound and he's not using the LH controls, on the Yamaha it's baked into the sound, on the Korg it's probably being generated by pressure.

Good questions, Scott. I am keeping my 2011 Kronos 88. I am fine with this RH3.

And I don't mind playing CX-3 organ parts on it. If I get aggressive I have my FA-07 to midi to Kronos. So yes, I am focused MODX 76 key bed.

cool you mentioned Karma, a wonderful tool. Even so, I have used [ picked thru them to support my song parts] and reviewed the 2000 Karma GE's. Not being able to edit Native Karma GE's on Kronos has subtracted a bunch for my song purposes. The SEQ allows me to chop up bars of Karma patterns and change pitch but thats he extent of edit on Kronos. I have zero interest in the Karma standalone software.

I have almost hit the ceiling on 2011 Karma. There is no development of it on Kronos. There have been no new " Karma Sounds" for 3-4 years. I have asked. And asked. I think the answer is clear. FYI, Karma is not an ' arranger ' tool. Not for me, that is.

Enter MODX [ or Montage} with its huge palette of ARPS. I expect to have a lot of fun with many of them, from what I hear. And there is " user space " on MODX for user ARPS. Hurray for MODX.

Anyway, MODX [or Montage] has strengths where Kronos falls short. MODX guitars solve a requirement for me. MODX brass has more variety and better quality. I notice several keyboardists have the Montage/Kronos or MODX/Kronos combination. I think[so far] this is a formidable combination which should cover most of my requirements +5 years.

No arranger keyboard for me. I have checked out all of them. . They don't fit my music goals. There features would go unused. For me, less clutter is better. I don't believe in song writing in 15 minutes or less. Its not how I roll. I maintain a certain amount of creativity and freedom to pursue it.

[70's Songwriter]

Speaking of the motif, there was an electric guitar patch in it called Voodooman. Until this day, I still cannot find an electric guitar sound in any synth/workstation that sounds as good.

Not sure if they kept that sound in the Montage.

Miss my Motif 7. Tons of memories with it.

VoodooMan is in the MODX. I agree, that jumps out.

[70's Songwriter]

MODX7er here. It exceeds my expectations yet is not overly different from Motif XF7 or MOXF6. Every thing you want to do in the bread and butter world of basic things is easier. In prior Yamaha boards, I couldnt quickly change a set list (performance ordering) without a computer. Its easy and quick in Live Set in MODX.

Touchscreen is faster to edit anything than prior models - Motif XF wasnt too bad but MOXF was a painfully endless menu diving experience which required a lot of memorization of where 2nd and 3rd level parameters even were.

Sounds are better than prior models. Not a complete quantum step change but all is better.

Motif XF7 was too heavy for travel gigs, cost a lot to send and required very heavy flight case etc etc etc. There was no MOXF7. MODX7 is perfect travel gig board if you dont need weighted keys. I dont, i dont even want weighted - i had to play a weighted board once as backline, hated it for me.

For studio - if youre using a DAW, id Assume most all current board are just fine - the studio is in the computer. MODX doesnt have full feature sequencer on board, i dont care so i dont mind.

I find the base effects setting for guitars not quite right for me. But they can be adjusted to sound really good.

Its weakness is B3. You can get passable settings tuned in for a song here or there, which i do. Its not a clone.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

MODX7er here. It exceeds my expectations yet is not overly different from Motif XF7 or MOXF6. Every thing you want to do in the bread and butter world of basic things is easier. I

Touchscreen is faster to edit anything than prior models

For studio - if youre using a DAW, id Assume most all current board are just fine - the studio is in the computer. MODX doesnt have full feature sequencer on board, i dont care so i dont mind.

Home studio person here.

The MODX touchscreen/LCD seems to be better than Kronos. While I will likely do most MODX work in Cubase, the MODX screen contrast is a welcome eyeball relief.

My reading eye sight has declined over the years.If I just bought Kronos today, the super tiny font size on some of the tabs would be frustrating.

[70's Songwriter]

MODX7er here. It exceeds my expectations yet is not overly different from Motif XF7 or MOXF6. Every thing you want to do in the bread and butter world of basic things is easier. I

Touchscreen is faster to edit anything than prior models

Home studio person here.

The MODX touchscreen/LCD seems to be better than Kronos. While I will likely do most MODX work in Cubase, the MODX screen contrast is a welcome eyeball relief.

My reading eye sight has declined over the years.If I just bought Kronos today, the super tiny font size on some of the tabs would be frustrating.

Home studio and no budget limits - id add Montage to my Kronos. If budget is a factor - i dont really know a board id rather have than MODX in that same sub $2000 range. I am (apparently) not remotely as sensitive to keybed feel as some are here. Ive heard a few with bad keys, I havent had the problem.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

If I may, I'd really like to jump in here as well as opposed to starting a new thread.

After going thru endless back and forths I've come to realize the MODX7 is the board I want. I've played a Montage and was very pleased with the sound quality. That it has so many sounds onboard that are good to great means I won't feel the need to bring an iPad or laptop to play live. I love the 76 size and the weight is fantastic. Also, the user interface is reported to be very good. By far the best board on the market at this price point for me.

My main two concerns are-

1. How straightforward is the connection to Cubase? It's one thing to have a feature, it's another for it to be user-friendly. I love it that the audio interface includes an AD input that can be used for mics and guitar, that there's a knob for USB audio volume, and even the volume knob for the AD input is on the front panel. I have over 600 jams that I need to clean-up and master, as well as add keys/vox/etc. as needed in Cubase, and hope that the MODX is the board that can do this easily and well.

2. The organ sounds. Spoiled by my NS 88 Classic, where I usually have a bit of organ in most of my patches. So- is Organimation worth the 220MB? I assume you use the MODX leslie.

Thanks,

Randy

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

MODX7 user here. I use mine only for gigging and its definitely a step up from most of my boards when it comes to covering modern sounds - especially when time is tight. It does what it does but in a rather excellent way if you ask me. Its easy to get good results on almost everything except Hammond sounds. There are some things that are a bit backwards compared to other boards but all in all I wouldnt want to leave it at home.

[quo

Home studio person here.

Home studio and no budget limits - id add Montage to my Kronos. If budget is a factor - i dont really know a board id rather have than MODX in that same sub $2000 range. I am (apparently) not remotely as sensitive to keybed feel as some are here. Ive heard a few with bad keys, I havent had the problem.

Thats a fair idea- go Montage. The delta on new vs new is about $2000. A chunk of change.

I am also watching used Montage 7 prices, going $3100.

A little too rich for me if thats what the market says.

Conversely , used MODX's are starting to appear. I know, beware of problem key beds.

MODX seems like a staggering value compared to its older brother. I will check out a comparison to see a rationale for the $2000 delta.

[70's Songwriter]

The sounds on the Montage and MODX are the same and patches are interchangeable. You dont have the polyphony and similarly the number of layers.

Same sample polyphony, but Montage has double the FM synth polyphony. Both support 8 layers from the keyboard, but Montage always seamlessly switches among them, MODX won't seamlessly switch to or from a sound that has 5 or more layers (parts).

Other Montage advantages: more front panel controls, better action, internal power supply, assignable outs, separate effects on all 16 parts when driven externally (vs. 12 on MODX), balanced outs, aftertouch, ribbon controller, PAC (pure analog circuit), and maybe some other stuff...

The answer to your question, from my perspective, is absolutely yes. I bought my MODX8 mainly to cover my Joni Mitchell tribute shows, where piano is dominant but I also need to cover quite a few other sounds. As organ isn't one of those, though, I really wanted to (and believed I could) cover it with one board. Yes, the MODX8 keybed isn't the best I've ever played, but for me, it IS good enough to play expressively, even in the cut down sections in the show which just feature voice and piano. It's certainly a huge leap from the MOXF8 predecessor.

Balancing that out are:

a) The weight. 13kg is ridiculously light for a keyboard of this calibre.

b) The A/D inputs. This means that on the times when I DO need to use a second keyboard, I can feed it into the MODX, which means I can still use my Rolls PM351 to feed FoH, again saving weight and hassle.

c) The 'Live Set' feature. Not an original idea, but very welcome. I have a set up for each song in the Joni set and I can go from song to song smoothly and with no hassle.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D