Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Taking breaks during mixing sessions

Just discovered the importance of taking breaks to let ears rest/reset during mixing sessions, specially when mixing with headphones + monitors (altering to check how it sounds in different scenarios).

After 30 minutes with a Sony MDR-7506 all I heard was garbage from my monitors everything sounded flat and mid gain was huge. 15 minutes later the mix sounded so different from the monitors (much more similar to what I was hearing with the headphones).

Its a physiologic response when exposed to sound generated close to tympanum, cilia in ear cavity gets sore and completely changes sound perception

Taking breaks changed the way I mix.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also like to periodically listen to alternate devices, including not so great ones, to make sure the mix transfers well. I'll go out to my car and listen to it there, as well as on portable devices and my home theater.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

7506s are a favorite phone for tracking with a full band, but I can see how they might get a bit tiring for mixing. I've used 7520s and still try to walk away every hour, and never fully commit until the next day.

7506s are a favorite phone for tracking with a full band, but I can see how they might get a bit tiring for mixing.

Also they are not flat, another reason to take a break and hear what you are listening through something else.

:nopity: