Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best all time Trio

Did this on FB with no intention of posting here, and some folks from here have posted there. But it got such huge response that I thought it would be fun to duplicate here.

Unlike FB, I won't even start it, Best trios, caveat - real trio! Meaning they have to play live as a trio.....not a bunch of studio magic then play as a 5 or 6 piece - a full on legit trio.

On FB we tended towards rock, but jazz, soul, classical, etc all good.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like a lot of folks here, I'm allergic to musical "bests." But among the most notable trios should be Medeski, Martin, and Wood. Three guys who have played together for so long, they're like 3 heads on the same body. Don't listen to them anymore, but for a good few years my brain was saturated with MMW. You wanna say a different trio is better? Fine, I got no problem with that.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Like a lot of folks here, I'm allergic to musical "bests."

Actually, I'm allergic to bests in general... best song, best synth, best restaurant, etc. It's subjective.

It's been said before: if you don't like it, it probably wasn't made for you.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

In no particular order

Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius, Bob Moses (Bright Size Life)

Bud Powell, Ray Brown, Buddy Rich

Duke Ellington, Max Roach, Charles Mingus

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Rush

The Police

Jimi Hendrix Experience

Medeski Martin & Wood

Morphine

Ben Folds Five

Keith Jarret Trio

Chick Corea, Miroslav Vitous and Roy Haynes (Now He Sings, Now He Sobs)

I'm also a big fan of 1960s era organ trios when players like Jimmy Smith, Jimmy McGriff, Jack McDuff and Groove Holmes and others would play with guitarists like Kenny Burrell, Wes Montgomery, George Benson, etc. There's too many great organ combos to list individually but I have listened to a lot in this genre.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

The Beatles
Which one are you going to kick out to make it a trio?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I just find things like this fun because you get to see the diversity of opinions, maybe learn something you didn't know (like, wow THEY were a trio?), and possibly discover things you hadn't heard before.

Following were the responses from Facebook - keeping in mind that not only are people not all keyboard players, but most aren't musicians, and come from a variety of musical tastes....

Ben Folds Five

Blink 182

BTO

Cream

husker du

James Gang

Jimi Hendrix Experience

Kings X!

Motorhead

MUSE

Nat King Cole Trio

Nirvana

Oscar Peterson Trio

Oysterhead (trio supergroup with Stuart Copeland, Trey Anastasio and Les Claypool)

Rush

sublime

The Band Of Gypsys

The Jam

the minutemen

The Police

Triumph

Vanilla Fudge

violent femmes

ZEBRA

ZZ Top

Dan

Buster Williams Al Foster Herbie Hancock

Red Garland Paul Chambers Philly Jo Jones

Cream

Hendrix

Bill Evans in general

Chick Corea trios

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Guitar Trio - Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia.

The Three Tenors - Plácido Domingo and José Carreras and Luciano Pavarotti.

Ahmad Jamal Trio - with Israel Crosby and Vernel Fournier. Classic trio from the 50's

Jimmy Smith, Kenny Burrell, Grady Tate - 1965

[video:youtube]

John Abercrombie, Jan Hammer, Jack de Johnette - 1974

John Scofield, Larry Goldings, Jack de Johnette - 2006

Larry Goldings, Peter Bernstein, Bill Stewart

Starting at 3:55 is a great performance of Larry's tune "Molto Molto" from a 2015 concert in Italy. Recent albums are billed as "Goldings Bernstein Stewart" ("Live at Smalls" 2011, "Ramshackle Serenade" 2014, "Toy Tunes" 2018). Earlier albums are billed as the Peter Bernstein Trio ("Earth Tones" 1998) or the Larry Goldings Trio ("Moonbird" 1999, "As One" 2001, "Sweet Science" 2002).

Hmm. Whom to put up against Curly and Larry (two excellent musicians, BTW) and Moe?

Got it: Peter Schickele, John Ferrante, and David Oei, doing The Intimate PDQ Bach.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Cream. End of discussion!

Right on.

Since we're making lists I would add the Jimi Hendrix Experience and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

Lists???

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Me, Myself, and I.

Just kidding. I'm not that good.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI