Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MODX7/8 + Viscount Legend Organ module

Anyone running this combo? The module is bulky but looks like it would fit in the spare space on the MODX.

At the moment I have a Nord Electro 5 73 + Juno DS 61 but am hankering after the higher quality MODX sounds compared to the DS. I play 70s/80s Classic Rock and pop covers.

I would lose the sampling from the DS but could supplement that with one of the small Akai pad samplers for not much money. The pattern sequencer is also a very simple but useful tool - does the MODX have the sort of sequencing that would allow me to play, say, the pattern in 'Dancing on the Ceiling'?

The DS also has a very handy mic input which can be applied to its vocoder - can this be done with the MODX? As you can see the DS has great functionality but the sounds just come up a little short.

My plan was to sell the Electro 5D and Juno DS which would pretty much cover the cost of MODX + Viscount module

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to imagine your Electro + Juno DS combination is pretty effective and light weight. But I can see how the MODX alone would cover most of the pair, and the Viscount making up for Yamaha's lack of 9 drawbar organ. However, keep in mind there are lots of organ patches for the Montage/MODX sound set that would probably cover a lot of what you would need - switching between drawbar settings with the super knob. It depends on how much of an organ player you are and if real-time control is a part of your playing. You might be served just as well by a Ventilator.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Id get to the shop and try out an MODX7.

Download the manual and see what it has for rock organ presets.

How to edit them - drawbar settings and +/- overdrive.

A good Leslie sim makes a big difference too.

You may find something you like here as well.

https://ksounds.com/product/organimation-tonewheel-organ-sounds-yamaha-montage/

Forget the Yamaha organs and get the Viscount module. It is reasobaly priced at 795 dollars. You will never need another clonewheel sound source, unless you like some of the new software offerings ( which have some interesting overdrive qualities).

I had a heated discussion with a Yamaha rep at a Portland area GC store recently. I decided to pull no punches and basicall y told him that Yamaha organs sucked ( or possibly I sugar coated that just a bit).

I thought he need to know. Someone does at Yamaha.

Yamaha could be giving us a lot better sounds in the organ department, but apparently whoever makes the decisions just does not know what a Hammond sounds like or what the basic registrations really are.

I am frankly sick of having too many keyboards. Trying to get a Rhodes from one, acoustic from another and then organs.

Organs matter to gigging musicians. Roland , Nord, and Korg all do a lot better organs than Yamaha.

Theres some nice organs on the Genos and the YC.

It depends on your needs and how badly you want to get down to one keyboard.

If youre playing a lot of organ, and youre not a preset kind of player - Id say yeah. Invest in a clone. But for the occasional rock tune that calls for organ. - I dont know. For me, it wouldnt be a priority. A lot of rock organ patches will get the job done. If youre hot for depth - a Vent and a good overdrive effect.

Forget the Yamaha organs and get the Viscount module. It is reasobaly priced at 795 dollars. You will never need another clonewheel sound source, unless you like some of the new software offerings ( which have some interesting overdrive qualities).

I had a heated discussion with a Yamaha rep at a Portland area GC store recently. I decided to pull no punches and basicall y told him that Yamaha organs sucked ( or possibly I sugar coated that just a bit).

Yamaha could be giving us a lot better sounds in the organ department, but apparently whoever makes the decisions just does not know what a Hammond sounds like or what the basic registrations really are.

I am frankly sick of having too many keyboards. Trying to get a Rhodes from one, acoustic from another and then organs.

Organs matter to gigging musicians. Roland , Nord, and Korg all do a lot better organs than Yamaha.

here here! i play yamahas so i know. I currently gig with MODX - i am ok as my rock n roll style isn't really B3 laden. I would never join a band where the signature keys sound is a B3 without getting different keys.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I too am disappointed with the modx organs.What a shame given Yamaha's R&D capability. I like the viscount module idea, but it's seems to be a rather big form factor - and adds significant cost to the modx8 $1895 cost. Isn't GSI working on a similar mpduledrawbar module?

Isn't GSI working on a similar mpduledrawbar module?

Not that I've seen. Some people saw an image of a drawbar controller and assumed it was a complete organ module, but it's just a controller, i.e. something you could use with VB3 software or a Gemini module.

If you happen to have an iPhone or iPad, a cheaper and more compact way to get better organs for the MODX could be the Galileo app. Or Garageband if you don't need much of a MIDI implementation.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yeah it's interesting given that the first organ made in Japan and the first product ever from Yamaha was a reed organ MADE IN 1887 by Torakusu Yamaha.. They've made many many 'real' organs throughout their history.

Yeah, it is a curious oversight, given they have the experience and engineering chops to pull of a good organ and sim.

That said, it looks to me like Organimation uses new samples, but the leslie onboard the MODX? Any Organimation users want to chime in about how much of an upgrade it is?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB