Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Transferring 1/4" Reel to Reels in Tucson

Hi--anyone from around there? My old high school jazz teacher lives and plays trombone around town at 80! Anyway, our high school was a freakishly good one, with a young Nathan East on bass, Carl Evans Jr (Fattburger) on piano, Hollis Gentry lll (Stanley Clarke, Larry Carlton) on tenor and me on drums, and several other wonderful players who are still very active today. We won every festival we ever entered (except for one, funny story on request).

But we had no recordings, or so I thought until my teacher told me he had 1/4" reel to reels that he had been planning on digitizing since the '80s. So I want to find a recording studio that could digitize them in Tucson and get it done while everyone is still alive (though sadly, both Carl and Hollis have passed away).

I tried Luna Recording, but their reel to reel machine has broken and it doesn't sound like they're going to fix it any time soon.

Anyone there who might be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Doug

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you hand over precious tapes like this, don't just find someone with the right gear, find someone with experience doing this. Tapes that old can be brittle & break easily. Some need to be baked and you may only get one shot at making a good copy. No undo capabilities with all things related to tape!

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/