Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good Keyboarding alert: Jonah Nilsson, Dirty Loops

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, this dropped four days ago. I have had a big grin watching what our brother keyboardist is doing ...

Just installed a new router and testing functionality this is the 1st vid I watched ...

You made my day !

Thx for sharing,- absolutely amazing !

Killer performance level,- everything bass, drums, keys and vocals.

When I watch and/or hear such stuff,- I have to go to the keys and play/practise a bit.

That´s what I´ll do now ...

:like:

A.C.

Good to have the DL guys back. I came across these nugget a while ago to hold me over - Jonah with Jacob Collier at Montreaux. Don't recognize the drummer and bass player, but they are off the hook...

[video:youtube]

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Im probably older than you and I enjoyed the part before the piano solo. I also quite enjoyed the piano solo, and the drum solo too. I kid a little of course. Its obvious all these guys can solo very capably, but what impresses me more than anything is their ensemble playing. And arranging. And the synth orchestrating. And Jonahs harmonic sense. Theres a LOT to enjoy with these guys. IMHO of course. Signed, an old guy.

Notice that the original video is not playable on other websites but YouTube itself.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

So, this dropped four days ago. I have had a big grin watching what our brother keyboardist is doing ...

[video:youtube]r_GTgpdoCh0

Watched it over on YouTube. A Kronos 2 61 and a Grandstage. Nice.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Reaction to both videos: wow, excellent in a lot of ways. Cool, thanks for posting those both of you. :)

super impressive from a musician's standpoint, but nothing memorable about it. Am I going to be humming "I gotta work sh&t out . . ."? I don't think so.

Also, I find the video production technique annoying and just distracting. It's as if they don't have enough confidence that the music will be entertaining, so the videographers ran around the room constantly to provide more interest. Kind of insults the intelligence of the audience, imo.

But these guys can tear it up, no question.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

super impressive from a musician's standpoint, but nothing memorable about it. Am I going to be humming "I gotta work sh&t out . . ."? I don't think so.

Also, I find the video production technique annoying and just distracting. It's as if they don't have enough confidence that the music will be entertaining, so the videographers ran around the room constantly to provide more interest. Kind of insults the intelligence of the audience, imo.

But these guys can tear it up, no question.

I'm not a fan of the super-quick cuts either but hasn't that been a very prevalent style of music video editing since, oh, 1982? :-) One thing I notice is that when you have a band with musicians that stay in one spot - like a keyboardist, drummer, and seated bassist, you have to put some motion into the videography. Witness the endless amateur you-tubes of bands with a camera trained on a bandstand of musicians that just stand in one spot the visual is pretty terrible imo. The DL guys did certainly take it to the other extreme but maybe they figured that the editing style matched the high-energy music. I would have preferred a few longer shots interspersed though.

I would also venture to guess that the band is not expecting to have people humming any of their lyrics they're pretty throwaway imo, and just meant to give Jonah an excuse to impress us with his vocal abilities and serve as a required element in the production. Let's get real, as great as they are as musicians, would they be getting record deals with David Foster and now be managed by QJ if they were a purely instrumental group? Anyway, I wouldn't knock them on their lyric-writing when it's obvious their strengths lie in other areas pretty much every other area of music-making, actually!