Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Would you go back?

Does anybody have a past band they had been in, or a past incarnation or lineup of a current band, that if the stars aligned, they would go back to?

Of course, maybe circumstances are different, people are different, the market is different, times are different - but if you could recreate that moment in time except satisfying modern conditions, do you have that one moment in time that you would want back?...maybe the peak of your musical career, or maybe just the most enjoyable time?

It crosses my mind from time to time, yet I don't think I would want to give up any of the experiences I've had with any of my bands because they all contributed something at some point.

I thought of it because yesterday I called up a friend of mine who was drummer in a previous band. We hadn't talked in quite a while and it was nice catching up. Our lives are very different now and we couldn't do the schedule we did then. But the band is still together (2 of the 5 members from when we were in it) and not only did we feel it's a shadow of what it was, but he said the 2 remaining members feel the same way, and that it was at its best with one particular lineup. We all seem to agree including the 5th member who is also no longer in the band. In a way, I think all 5 of us think it would be awesome to be back together doing it the way we did at the time. It's Coke up more than a few times over the years but has never happened and at this point never will.

Maybe just fun to look back and recognize that "those were the days"!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a heartbeat! When we experienced those times we knew it was fun but now you realize just how special they were for all of us.

Yamaha C2, Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK1, Hammond XK-5 Heritage Pro System, Korg Kronos 2 61, Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil PC4-7, Nord Stage 3 73, Nord Wave 2, QSC 8.2, Motion Sound KP 210S,  Key Largo, etc…yeah I have too much…

There is one band that I would like to be able to play in again, because it was the most fun, and we were fearless. We never rehearsed, but had a song list like no other. Every member had pro experience playing Country, Classic Rock, Blues, so we knew how it was supposed to sound. We called ourselves "The Old Men Brothers".

As much as I would love to be in that band again, it can never happen. The lead guitar player has retired, and travels a lot, the slide player is in a Blues duo, the bass player I have not heard from in years, and the drummer passed away a few years ago.

But I still think about them often.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Dan that's a tough one because I would say no. If it didn't work out then why would it now?

In this case, the original BL who hired me quit due to going through a divorce. I became the BL and then myself left partially due to divorce (no, the band wasn't the reason for the divorce in either case). After I left, drummer got in fight with guitar and left, though they are now close friends. Then they completely eliminated keys and do tracks - lame!

That lineup when I first joined before the original BL left was the golden age of that band, but none of us could do that schedule anymore.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Yes, I would, mostly for the reason "hookie" stated. I had fun then but now I would really soak it in. That band had a LOT of talent and it's potential wasn't fully exploited. Also, I did a lot of stupid things back in the day and that wouldn't happen now. ;>)

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

One interesting note: the singer of my current original band was the singer for the first cover band I ever played in - that's how I landed this gig. That band was fun, but given that we were teenagers at the time, yes, there were some issues. Funny to contrast my experience with this guy these days compared to back then!

Dan

Sure, some, even though the circumstances of bands mostly were different from now. I don't know about these kinds of questions: what do you mean, is it you want to be man-managed into an old band, or would you like a sob story about lost band members ?!

In seriousness, as some remarked IMHO correctly, once you've set down with some girls and boys, or later on women and men, and the band worked somehow, there must have been a certain reason for having quit!

T.

It's funny - in the glory days of my band, I wasn't half the musician I am now. I've grown and developed beyond that level as a result of that band slowing down, and me taking on other opportunities (improving my time and groove with a disco/funk band, horn arranging, musical theatre...).

Cheers, Mike.

It's funny - in the glory days of my band, I wasn't half the musician I am now.
Yeah, there's that.

I was in a great band when I was young - a long, long time ago - but I what I know now musically is so much more than what I knew then.

My main band now has been going for 17 years. I'd choose the lineup of front man from several years ago, drummer from a couple years ago, current guitar, harp, and bass. But previous members left for reasons that make it so we can't go back. I'm content with the current line-up, no front man but 4 of the players sing. It's a good band.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Does anybody have a past band they had been in, or a past incarnation or lineup of a current band, that if the stars aligned, they would go back to?

In my case, absolutely not.

I've played in some pretty ordinary bands with some pretty ordinary individuals. They're best consigned to the dustbin of history.

The covers band I'm in formed in the mid 90's and we've kept the same line up since that time, bar adding an additional vocalist. We've grown up together and are friends first, bandmates second. We'll never achieve greatness but we're regulars on the local pub scene and that suits us just fine. We've gotten fatter, greyer, balder and have much better gear now. We're also significantly better at using it.

I'm in a couple of other bands and they're full of great musicians and great guys who work hard at their craft and make me want to push my limited skill set to the maximum.

Suffice to say I won't be jumping in the DeLorean any time soon.

I'd go back to my college touring group in a fantasy heartbeat if I could take modern keyboard technology back with me. I played with some absolutely amazing folks.

But if I had to go back to semi-tuned upright pianos, my Farfisa VIP, and a Shure Vocalmaster PA, I think I'd say no. In that respect, These are the Good Old Days.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I recently did a reunion show with a band I was in from about 1995-2000, the first "real" band I ever played in. We had done a couple one-offs since then, but the last one was at least 12 years ago. Playing that music with those people again was strange in some ways, but in other ways felt like the most natural thing in the world as though we'd never stopped. We're all better players now, which helps. Apparently the show rekindled some interest among bookers, so we may be doing it again.

So I guess that's a long-winded way of saying "yes."

Oh, yeah. I can think of one. Though another band came close in 2007, I'd much prefer to move this act forward a few decades. The lead vocalist/multi-instrumentalist was a musical chameleon; still is. The two back-up vocalists were lead singers in their own right. Rhythm section was tight, yet fluid.

Pass The Salt, circa 1984:

CvGBV5y.jpg

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

The drummer from my modern jazz trio tragically died about 5 years ago in mysterious circumstances, and we still do not know the cause of death. The band continues and we have played with some great drummers since then, but I still miss him so much. When he played he was utterly electrifying, with a charismatic love for, and total immersion in the music that inspired me in all sorts of ways. I would give a lot to go back and play with him once more.
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Possibly, but the reason I left was because the band was not growing and had no direction. The problem has remained the same to this day. I think if the band leader didn't have a good paying tech job he might have expanded/grown his market. But I moved on to bigger and better things!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com