Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar abuse?

On a guitar forum (which in fairness will be nameless), someone posted a photo of their acoustic guitar, leaning against a tree and sitting on grass. I thought it was a pretty photo. Well one poster went into a rant, calling it `stupid` and `an abuse of the instrument`. One or two other posters agreed.

I consider my care of my instruments to be erring on the side of pristine. IMHO pre-relicing is silly. `Mojo` is earned, not bought. And it has nothing-as in, nothing-to do with visual damage. If my guitar gets a visible dent, no matter how small, I am not happy.

But this seems totally excessive to me. There`s something refreshing about having a guitar outside in the elements, instead of boxed into a club or studio. I took a photo of the electric I bought in Sydney, with the opera house in the background. Yes, it was resting against a tree. So? as long as it`s stable and won`t fall over, I`m not getting what`s the big deal. I call OCD.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OCD is right Skip. The guy taking the photo probably only had the axe leaning against the tree for a few moments longer than it ook to snap the photo( likely 1/60th of a second).

And I don't typically lean my guitars against anything without consideration for the neck. Like if a wall, the guitar is facing said wall, and if( and there have been times) against the sofa, I stand it high enough that not much reliance is ON the neck. And too....

Do those guys that complained typically PITCH A TENT to sit in when playing their guitars out of doors? Or don't they ever play them outdoors?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

There is a commercial currently running on TV with Terry Bradshaw selling walk-in tub/showers. He dances around, soaks in a bubble bath with his football etc. Well one of the things nobody seems to notice (except hopefully us guitar players) that I pointed out to my wife is the acoustic guitar in the bathroom. You have to watch closely! In real estate and furniture sales, it's called staging. Trying to make the room look inviting to new buyers with props. Now I ask you...why would you keep an acoustic guitar leaning against the wall in a bathroom? I mean the moisture in the air from steam, etc. should be hard on the Woodie! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

There is a commercial currently running on TV with Terry Bradshaw selling walk-in tub/showers. He dances around, soaks in a bubble bath with his football etc. Well one of the things nobody seems to notice (except hopefully us guitar players) that I pointed out to my wife is the acoustic guitar in the bathroom. You have to watch closely! In real estate and furniture sales, it's called staging. Trying to make the room look inviting to new buyers with props. Now I ask you...why would you keep an acoustic guitar leaning against the wall in a bathroom? I mean the moisture in the air from steam, etc. should be hard on the Woodie! :cool:

I took a picture of my travel guitar in an elegant old hotel bathroom in Malta, but, it's a solid body Steinberger style, there was better light there than in the room, & I liked the old tile background. The guitar didn't stay for the shower.

Scott Fraser

If my working guitars are that fragile then they ain't got a chance. Transportation is probably that toughest thing. Temperature swings in trailers are ridiculous.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

My guitars are tools not showpieces, if they are not in my hands, they are in their cases. If I played out I would add "on their stands" during breaks. At home, if they are not being used they reside in nice hard shell cases.

I took a picture of my travel guitar in an elegant old hotel bathroom in Malta, but, it's a solid body Steinberger style, there was better light there than in the room, & I liked the old tile background. The guitar didn't stay for the shower.

Setting for clean tones with a wet ambience... ? ;):rimshot:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

On a guitar forum (which in fairness will be nameless), someone posted a photo of their acoustic guitar, leaning against a tree and sitting on grass.

'S long as the grass and tree were relatively dry, 's what acoustic guitars are good for- playing outdoors on a nice day. 'S fine. Ranters gonna spring a leak.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

It sounds to me like the tree was being used as a prop for a nice looking photograph, instead of using it as a long term guitar storage rack. This argument is as ridiculous as saying that because you have a picture of yourself in a swimming pool, that means that you live in the pool 24 hours a day. The tree is just a photo setting.
I rock; therefore, I am.

@ Scott! It would be fun as a follow up commercial to have Terry actually sing and play that guitar while taking a shower LOL! :thu:

My EYES!

My EARS!

"Oh The Humanity" LOL! :thu:

Closer to, Oh, the huge manatee! these days.

(If youre out there, just jokes, Mr. Bradshaw. Just jokes,)

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Never(yet) saw that ad, but to address one part of your info.....

When in the shower, most guys find that the moisture in the air from the steam, etc. has NO effect on their "woody"! ;):D

Whitefang

@ Danny, Terry Bradshaw has a great sense of humor and you can tell he had a lot of fun making that commercial. I know he knows (if he's out there) that we are just having fun and would be laughing right along side with us... :thu:

@ Fang, I knew "Woodie" was not the best choice of words, but I really was referring to the guitar.

Take care, Larryz

Never saw the show but I have seen him on sports pregame shows and late night shows joking around...I'll keep an eye out for him and see if I catch his show. It was on NBC 2016 to 2018. There are some vids on YouTube I can check out. Thanks! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Ok how this works in my world, If you don't own it. You cannot say how it is used, abused or taken care of. People cry all the time about how they would take care of something that they do not own. You can show concern, you can ask, but you should not judge. The guitar from the hateful 8 comes to mind from wikipedia

The guitar destroyed by Russell's character was not a prop but an antique 1870s Martin guitar lent by the Martin Guitar Museum. According to sound producer Mark Ulano, the guitar was supposed to have been switched with a copy to be destroyed, but this was not communicated to Russell; everyone on the set was "pretty freaked out" at the guitar's destruction, and Leigh's reaction was genuine, though "Tarantino was in a corner of the room with a funny curl on his lips, because he got something out of it with the performance."[30] Museum director Dick Boak said that the museum was not told that the script included a scene that called for a guitar being smashed, and determined that it was irreparable. The insurance remunerated the purchase value of the guitar. As a result of the incident, the museum no longer lends guitars to film productions.[31]

Now this is abuse which happened, does not matter to me, The museum is responsible, the insurance is the result, the out come is already history, and in the end everything is dust.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Setting for clean tones with a wet ambience... ? ;):rimshot:

Working up a new preset for my main reverb: Mediterranean Tile Room.

Scott Fraser

Unless you sat it in a puddle or something, I don't see anything reasonable about jumping down your throat like that. And hey, it's your guitar, you can treat it however you want to. In the words of Billie Holiday, "ain't nobody's business if I do".

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

@ Danny, Terry Bradshaw has a great sense of humor and you can tell he had a lot of fun making that commercial. I know he knows (if he's out there) that we are just having fun and would be laughing right along side with us... :thu:

@ Fang, I knew "Woodie" was not the best choice of words, but I really was referring to the guitar.

Yeah, I used to enjoy watching Terry spar with Jay Leno whenever he'd show up on the Tonight Show. :laugh:

And I knew you meant the guitar Larry, but I was in another one of those moods! ;):w00t:

Whitefang

If my working guitars are that fragile then they ain't got a chance. Transportation is probably that toughest thing. Temperature swings in trailers are ridiculous.

This is why Ive gone to mostly gigging with solid body acoustic-electrics with bolt-on necks (a Godin and a Michael Kelly/Rick Turner) instead of acoustics because theres no way to avoid having them in a scorching hot van st some point for extended periods.