Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

Since you could post in both sections, I guess I can too. :)

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Hi everyone,

Native Instruments and Andrew Huang (youtube) hosted a remix competition this month on Metapop for Huang's new release "Yours". Here's his original track (not anything special IMO):

[video:youtube]

I thought I'd give it a go for fun, never having done one. Now keep in mind that I don't do much of anything with virtual instruments or that type of thing, I generally record my hardware stuff in software and that's about it, and I wanted to see how much I could do with non-computer-based instruments. So, as you'd imagine, this track is full of stuff from my gear.

From my entry:

Ok. Here's my submission for the remix contest. 37 audio tracks, 13 midi tracks (my own), and 46 project files later. Lots of time went into this. I started working on it on March 5th, and finished it tonight, March 19th. A few hours per day when I could. I'm not really sure what to categorize this as, perhaps "fusion" would best describe it...I just played the original a few times, and started improvising ideas.

The result is basically what I had in my head musically. Sort of is my band take on Andrew's lyrics and melody. I used the stems provided as the project file did not work with my Cubase configuration. I run Cubase AI 9.5, so I have a limited number of audio tracks, midi tracks, vst/instrument tracks, and group/fx channels. So I had to pick and choose a lot. Where you see, for example, a "pluck 1" track from the stems, that's actually a bunch of pieces from other original stems put onto the same track, due to the limit on total track count. That holds true for most of the stem tracks you see, they're mixed from lots of other stems. That way I could keep most of the pieces I liked but still have enough tracks left to record my own stuff.

Here's what's in the remix: Stems used: a few pieces of the drums; snaps, the chorus guitar, the electric funk guitar riff, the right side of the palm muted guitar, one of the synth brass tracks, the pluck track, the synth lead track, the "fx" track, and all the vocal tracks. Komplete Start items: Guitar Rig 5 used for my electric guitar track and a vocal run track, Hit The Key from Carbon 2 (modified), and "Fundamentool" from TRK-01 Bass as a lead. I added the rest from my gear; it's 90% from hardware gear with a few elements from plugins like the tambourine, 2nd hihat, toms, and cymbal. The hardware used was: Korg Krome 61, Yamaha Motif XF8, Yamaha YS200, and a Roland JV-1000 for keyboards (drums, bass, synths, pads, strings, etc) and a Yamaha Pacifica 112V electric guitar. Assorted factory effects, and a few free third-party plugins (Waves H-Comp compressor {from Black Friday promotional offer), Melda pitch corrector). I'm primarily a musician, so everything you hear except for the stems and the tambourine and cymbal was played from a keyboard by myself, or the guitar (I'm pretty new to guitar though).

I recorded midi tracks along with the audio for the keyboards, edited them in Cubase, and then re-recorded the audio with the modified midi data. The synth that seems to have a sidechain on it does not have a sidechain, as my software does not allow me to do that (not able to route for that, one of the limitations). Instead it's an expression pedal being used to raise and lower the volume in time with the kick. Time signatures were interesting too. Like the 2/4 section between the first chorus and second verse, and the bridge. While the first part of my bridge sounds like it's in 4/4, it actually stays in 6/8. Then 12/8 later on, then back to 4/4 for the chorus. I kept the tempo at 89bpm in 4/4 or its equivalent in the other signatures.

I hope you all like this. I've never done a remix before and am just learning mixing. Just lots of reference tracks and testing on different playback systems. I don't have any monitors, only a pair of K240 Studio headphones. Plus car cd players, etc that I use for testing. I'm sure there's a lot of room for improvement. It was fun though since I've never done one before. Let me know what you think.

For your benefit and fun I'm going to list what stuff came from what gear. It's not like I'm selling this anyways, so I can do that. smile Presets only with the exception of the strings, recorded dry though.

Kick Drum: Korg Krome, Power Kit 2

Kick on Bridge 4/4-in-68 section: Korg Krome, Power Kit 2 (E2 key)

Snare Drum ('80s): Roland JV-1000, Preset Kit B (E4 key, "LA Snare")

Snare Drum 2: Korg Krome, Power Kit 2

Bright Hi-hats: Korg Krome, Power Kit 2

Cross-stick: Motif XF8, Maple Custom Kit

Bass: Korg Krome, Multi Bass

Electric guitar (disco-funk clean): Yamaha Pacifica 112V

Piano: Motif XF8, Natural Grand S6

Low pad: Yamaha YS200, FluteVoice

Comping pad: Yamaha YS200, Swirlies

Hollow/square pad: Yamaha YS200, Fog (did leave reverb on for this one as it was a key part of the sound)

Synth/swell pad: Motif XF8, Dark Atmos Pad

String quartet: Motif XF8, custom patch made from scratch

Anything else is from Komplete Start/Addictive Drums free/Groove Agent SE4 or the stems provided.

Hope you get a kick out of it anyways. It was fun, since I played everything you hear except for the stems (vocals, some synth arps, some guitar, and the snaps/deep kick that's layered on in a few spots/beat snippet at the end of the second verse). Took a fair amount of time (a few hours a day was all I could spare, and that definitely not every day). Background image created in Terragen 4 free version, and track art based on that, edited in GIMP. Video put together in Davinci Resolve. Hope you like it. :idk I had fun at least. :)

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I feel like spamming today... I had nothing going on last night so I spent a couple of hours putting together the following tune with me hollering vocals and playing / tracking. There's a piano solo at ~1'30".

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I am posting this because of a conversation I had with a musician friend. I made some big statement about how you can't have a saxophone in a song anymore without it having a bunch of baggage attached to it, and how people (myself included) were moving to big brass as a result.

He said, "Tell me more, Mr. 'She like a saxophone.'"

That's a line from this song of mine. Mucho sax here-in. I sang higher then. This album did decently. My next one was better, but this one got me there.

Anyhoo. I wrote and sang and did the arrangements. This was kind of a sexy song in its own way. Enjoy.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Don't Look Back is my original, a middle of the road type instrumental, part retro pop with a string section. It encourages optimism for our endeavors

100% Kronos, as you would expect :)

Thank you for listening and your comments.

Greg

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

It's been a while since I posted clips of new music here, so I thought I'd jump back in. Here's a new instrumental piece for Hohner D6 Clavinet, Hammond XK3-c, Moog Voyager, Mellotron Mk. VI and Mellotron M4000D Mini. Feel free to check it out. Cheers!

Rick

Hammond XK3c, Mellotron, Fender Rhodes, Arp2600, Moog Voyager, Clavinet, Nord Electro

https://www.youtube.com/user/reeg2600/videos

https://rregerakaashenactuariesofasgardreeg2600.bandcamp.com/

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

It's been a while since I posted clips of new music here, so I thought I'd jump back in. Here's a new instrumental piece for Hohner D6 Clavinet, Hammond XK3-c, Moog Voyager, Mellotron Mk. VI and Mellotron M4000D Mini. Feel free to check it out. Cheers!

This sounds amazing! Kinda funky, kinda, spacey, pretty prog. Not to mention all those sweet keyboards (and pedals). I love it - subscribed!

Been a while for me as well was finishing up a record and a Master's degree. Here's a clip from my final recital, also a preview of the upcoming record.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Been a while for me as well was finishing up a record and a Master's degree. Here's a clip from my final recital, also a preview of the upcoming record.

Very nice.

I wrote this a couple of weeks ago. This is a rough demo, complete with barking dog in the background. I sang the vox into my iphone, and my music room is connected to my bedroom, so you even get to hear my sleep crickets in the background.

A sad little song that grew out of missing my dad lately.

Working title: "Closing Time" DEMO

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

very cool. I liked the clav taking on a role similar to what a really good rhythm guitarist does.

• 1 month later...

I finally finished this lil ditty, which I wrote more than a year ago and just slightly missed the deadline of May 1st, 2018 :whistle:

A little explanation of the title, in my region young men put up an ornamented tree for their partners in the night before May 1st as a sign of their love...

There's a whole bunch of keyboards featured in this video, including the Prophet 6 as a glorified MIDI controller for the JU-06.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbm1G3nuCRI

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

I finally finished this lil ditty, which I wrote more than a year ago and just slightly missed the deadline of May 1st, 2018 :whistle:

A little explanation of the title, in my region young men put up an ornamented tree for their partners in the night before May 1st as a sign of their love...

There's a whole bunch of keyboards featured in this video, including the Prophet 6 as a glorified MIDI controller for the JU-06.

Like that one a lot. Nice to have banjo in there as something other than country music. :)

Glad I made the time for this. Nice tune and fun footage.

And who knew? A May 1st tree ornament holiday!

Steve Coscia

• 2 weeks later...

A new song from my instrumental project.

If you want to download for free, type "Zero" to Buy Now

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com/track/atypical-vicinity

Synth bass from Moog Minitaur and all other synth sound from Kawai K5000W. Vox continental sound from Yamaha Reface YC.

Thanks!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Did a record for a hard rock/metal band from Red Deer a little while ago. They had most of the record tracked and wanted to add keys, but had no idea what kind of parts they wanted. "Just do your thing man!" Classic. "Have you heard of Jon Lord?" says I. It was a home studio thing, so I used my Nord, but I did run through the bass player/engineer's vintage Marshall.

First couple singles are out. Rhodes solo on this one.

Hammond on this one and on most of of the record.

Live version of my original tune "Back Home In Nebraska" with the country band. A studio version is waiting on the lead guitar to sit down and finish up. I'm also thinking we should add trumpet and tenor sax with the fellows in the jump blues project. Both bands record and rehearse in the same space.

Driving home late after a gig I heard "God Bless Texas" with it's rather lame rhyme (Texas and message) and got to thinking about what rhymed with "Nebraska" other than "Alaska".

At some point, "ask ya" popped into my head and the chorus pretty much wrote itself. It didn't work as a story song after the first verse and ended up as more of a travelogue.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

While we're at it, here's the other original of mine the band does.

When I first got on Facebook, I ran across a girl from up the street (okay not next door) who told me that "You know, you the first boy that I ever kissed". Sounded like a country song to me.

And she said she told me that she had told some friends recently that I was "the boy she should have married". The rest of the song is made up (at least as far as any of you know!).

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Sunny Day Dance

I create/record my own multi track instrumentals. Sunny Day Dance is a ballad and has what I call a whimsical piano part. Song is retro, slightly pop and maybe a touch of country with the guitar work.

100% Kronos

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]