Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha Montage 8 keybed...anyone know?

I took out the S90 from storage and the keybed from it and the Montage are completely different. I decided not to get the Montage for the time being.

According to Yamaha support, the keybed in the Montage is not the BHE but GHS keybed. I was surprised he said that.

I decided to not get a keyboard with all the frills. I need a controller, so I'm going to try the Doepfer LMK4+ and SL88 Grand.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Yamaha support, the keybed in the Montage is not the BHE but GHS keybed. I was surprised he said that.

Specs say BHE.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/music_production/synthesizers/montage/specs.html

I can't imagine it being 64 lbs with a GHS.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The S90 and Montage feel completely different and I tried 2 Montage keyboards just in case one wasn't functioning correctly.

If there's a BHE in the Montage, it's a completely new BHE.

There have been similar conversations about GHS, not feeling identical from board-to-board. Design tweaks over time? Different feel based on the chassis it is mounted to? Even unit-to-unit manufacturing variation? Who knows?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Specs say BHE.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/music_production/synthesizers/montage/specs.html

I can't imagine it being 64 lbs with a GHS.

Not sure what he was smoking, but there is no way that the Montage is Graded Hammer Standard (GHS). If it was, I very well may have gotten a much lighter MOXF8 instead of my 64lb Motif XF8. Have you had an opportunity to play both MOXF8 or MODX8 and the Montage 8? It's like the difference between a Chevy Cruz and a Rolls Royce. GHS is functional and is fine for a lot of people, but the BH/BHE is premium. No comparison, no similarity at all except for both being 88 keys except in the CP73.

No way. Try to find a MODX8 or MOXF8 to play, or even a P125. That's GHS.

On a side note, I played a little on an old S90 at a Music Go Round late last year. I can tell you that the BHE in that model is definitely a little different than the current BHE (Motif XF8, Montage). I prefer the Motif one personally. :idk

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

If anyone knows a tech at a Yamaha repair shop, it would be interesting to know whether the replacement keys for a Montage 8, Motif XF8, and S90 have the same part number. Same with GHS models like MODX8, DGX660, etc.

If anyone knows a tech at a Yamaha repair shop, it would be interesting to know whether the replacement keys for a Montage 8, Motif XF8, and S90 have the same part number. Same with GHS models like MODX8, DGX660, etc.

Indeed.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I agree, but I don't think anyone will release that info. Especially not a tech at Yamaha.

Hi --

Part numbers are listed in the Yamaha service manual for each instrument. In the USA, service manuals may be purchased from Yamaha 24x7, their on-line portal for parts.

The main issue is gathering together service manuals for all of the relevant keyboards! The service manuals are not especially cheap even though Yamaha distribute them as PDF files. If someone undertakes this task, please note that the 88 key "piano action" models have a separate manual from the 61/76 models with the FSX key bed.

Do you want to compare part numbers for the individual keys or the entire keyboard assembly? There are separate numbers for all.

Hope this helps -- pj (a service manual diver)

Music technology blog: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/