Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

8-Core MacBook Pro - 9th Generation Intel Core i9, iMac too

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/

https://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

"Ahead of the WWDC on June 3rd Apple is choosing to make a number of announcements covering their hardware. They have given their MacBook Pro range a speed bump with 8th and 9th-generation Intel Core processors that Apple claims make the quad-core models twice as fast and the 6-core models 50% faster. In addition it is now possible to buy an 8-core 15-inch MacBook Pro, which has got to be good news for DAW users who want to be able to work on the go.

15-inch MacBook Pro

The top of the range 15-inch MacBook Pro could become the fastest Mac laptop to date. It has a ninth-generation 8-core 2.3GHz Core i9 processor, with Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz. Apple claim that this new MacBook Pro is twice as fast as the quad-core MacBook Pro, and 40 percent faster than the 6-core model that was introduced last July. Other specs include 4GB Radeon Pro 560X graphics, 16GB of 2400MHz DDR4 memory, and a 512GB SSD, all of which make it great for using with DAWs like Pro Tools, Studio One and Logic Pro..

The mid-range 15-inch MacBook Pro now has a ninth-generation 2.6GHz 6-core Intel Core i7 processor, a bump up from the eighth-generation 2.2GHz 6-core Core i7 CPU that was introduced just last year. Other specs include 4GB Radeon Pro 555X graphics, 16GB of 2400MHz DDR4 memory, and a 256GB SSD.

13-inch MacBook Pro

In the 13-inch MacBook Pro range, the $1,799 and $1,999 standard configurations now have new eighth-generation quad-core Core i5 processors.

The $1,799 model has been given an eighth-generation 2.4GHz quad-core Core i5 processor, replacing the eighth-generation 2.3GHz quad-core Core i5 processor released last July. The rest of the key specs remain unchanged.

The $1,999 13-inch MacBook Pro has been given the same eighth-generation 2.4GHz quad-core Core i5 processor, integrated Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, and 8GB of 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory as the $1,799 model. The extra cost comes courtesy of the 512GB SSD.

The $1,299 and $1,499 models have not been changed from those that were introduced in 2017." ProToolsExpert.com

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I love the keyboard on my 2016 15" MBP. Any previous keyboard (been using Apple laptops since 1995 and used an Apple ADB Extended Keyboard from 1989 onwards) feels mushy any imprecise by comparison.

I've had the odd case of a key needing a little coaxing, but that's been invariably fixable by sharply blowing at the key once or twice. I've had similar issues on my BlackBook and 2011 MBP.

Also love the trackpad.

Different strokes, I guess.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

On vlog this morning they said this new model STILL has the messed up keyboard. Apple says they made a change, but the vlog site found where Apple tech is already setup for repairs on a new model.

So you get to pay more for something that still has a buggy keyboard.

On vlog this morning they said this new model STILL has the messed up keyboard. Apple says they made a change, but the vlog site found where Apple tech is already setup for repairs on a new model.

So you get to pay more for something that still has a buggy keyboard.

I dont know how accurate... I am digging for reviews and tear downs but its only two days out. Apple says, new butterfly keyboard technology.

FWIW, I love the keyboard on my 2016 15" MBP. Any previous keyboard (been using Apple laptops since 1995 and used an Apple ADB Extended Keyboard from 1989 onwards) feels mushy any imprecise by comparison.

I've had the odd case of a key needing a little coaxing, but that's been invariably fixable by sharply blowing at the key once or twice. I've had similar issues on my BlackBook and 2011 MBP.

Also love the trackpad.

Different strokes, I guess.

Certainly. I'll try to fix my 3 keys that are either not working all the time or double-entering by blowing on them. (it's not as horrendous as it sounds since I normally use a mouse and keyboard).

The trackpad issues are that it doesn't always register clicks, and that (with my hand size/position at least) it's so large that I brush it all the time, which makes the pointer jump. Again I normally use a mouse so it's not the end of the world. I certainly would not buy another machine that I have this many issues with though--I "inherited" this one from my wife, who got it as a gift :)

Ergonomics aside, it's been fantastic. Unfortunately ergonomics are somewhat important for most people! :D

When Apple went with that hideously flat keyboard, I stocked up on several of the old typewriter-style models. I have too much invested in muscle memory. In addition, my thumb can cover three buttons on the deco model at once. I am NOT a Japanese schoolgirl who can pluck the cotton from an aspirin bottle with two fingers. As an American, I am allotted no more than 15% Ludditism. I use 5% of it on the older keyboards.

Its a comfort thing. :puff:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I have a 2017 MBP with that keyboard and I like the feel, BUT:

1. It took some getting used to

2. I have issues with stuck keys etc - I'm eligible for a free keyboard replacement but it's being without my workhorse for a minimum of 10 days that's the issue :mad:

I have issues with stuck keys etc - I'm eligible for a free keyboard replacement but it's being without my workhorse for a minimum of 10 days that's the issue

Have you checked recently? Apple has stocked its stores with a stock of keyboards so they can offer next-day turnaround on replacements, but I'm not sure which models that covers. They're also replacing 2018 model keyboards with the new 2019 design, which I'm looking forward to taking advantage of.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

The mac book pro is 32 GB max, you need to ask yourself is that enough for you?

I guess for a live keyboardist mainstage setup, it will be more then enough..

But for a DAW and someon that uses 80 or 90 tracks for film music with large sample libraries? It could be an issue having only 32GB..

But then for a production DAW, i guess people will not use laptops...

For me personally the major issue with apple is their prices for extra memmory and SSDs... thats why i went for the new mac mini, that allows you to upgrade memmory.. combined with an external 2TB SSD...

Apple has unveiled new MacBook Pro models. But that machine still includes the troubled T2 security chip used on all Macs from 2018 onward and theres no complete fix yet for the audio problems it can cause. So what should you do?

http://cdm.link/2019/05/apples-latest-macs-still-suffer-from-the-same-audio-flaws/

"What works / what doesnt / workaround

Updated: this section was added later to clarify questions raised by readers.

To be clear, this specific bug impacts primarily USB audio devices.

Individually, RME claims to have resolved the problem (and RME owners report the same). We initially heard positive feedback from MOTU, as well.

However, theres no clear pattern to which USB devices are impacted. The only way to be absolutely certain is to connect USB audio devices to a Thunderbolt hub not a USB-C hub, but a device that actually uses the Thunderbolt 3 connection (and therefore a different bus). Thats doubly confusing because some of the Apple machines USB-C connectors are used both for Thunderbolt 3 and USB 1/2/3 connections. You need a Thunderbolt 3 port (which looks the same), and it needs to have an actual Thunderbolt 3 device.

Thunderbolt audio interfaces will also work, by the same token.

Internal audio (via speakers and headphone jack) can also be impacted.

Bottom line: if youre willing to invest in Thunderbolt adapters or dedicated interfaces, you can safely ignore this particular issue. Everyone else will be taking some chances."

Thats doubly confusing because some of the Apple machines USB-C connectors are used both for Thunderbolt 3 and USB 1/2/3 connections.

On a MacBook Pro *all* the connector are Thunderbolt 3 *and* USB-C, no risk of confusion.Only USB-C connectors are in the MacBook 12", that have no Thunderbolt 3 ports.

On older machines, some of the Thunderbolt 3 connector had a lower thruput, but they are anyway Thunderbolt 3.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

Another point: while the article is interesting, is very far from being factual; for example "There is no reported change on the new MacBook Pro to the T2 security chipset that is the cause of these problems. Its therefore safe to assume that they will inherit these same issues, barring a fix from Apple." is a very superficial and weak analysis: of course, the source of the problem is the software (firmware) running on the T2, no the chipset itself.

The T2 firmware has been already updated twice since the article has been written.

This is not to say that what the article report is false (or true), but to get a better view of the state of things it is better to look in places like MacRumors forum; by the way, for unlucky users its seems there are other problems than audio connected to the T2 :-<.

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

• 5 weeks later...

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

just so folks don't over react- its a specific range of batteries that are the hazard.

My step mom has this MBP. Battery is fine. We verified

IOW, its not every MBP sold 2015-2017 with the battery hazard

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I'm on my third MacBookPro and last year bought a decent iMac. My biggest issue with the line is the premium price on SSD upgrades. This is magnified by the controlling nature of the OS that wants everything installed on the main drive. Unless they bring back user upgradable standard SSD's I will most likely never buy another MacBookPro, and I don't expect that to ever happen.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page