Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Interesting Gig This Weekend

Ive been playing out for nearly 40 years, and pretty much feel Ive seen it all but my band has been hired for a gig this weekend which may throw that statement into question: a swingers dance. Its reportedly being held in this upscale barn that contains tables/chairs, dance floor, bar, etc., on the main floor (probably not unlike a regular banquet hall) but we were also advised there is a loft that goes around the perimeter of the second floor where people converge, and well, you know...

Not sure what to expect, so thought Id throw it out there for some advice/input, as I have no basis to draw upon. The lady who hired us asked if the band would be offended by people showing up in, should we say, less than full attire. I have no problem with that, but just wonder how things roll at these events, proper etiquette (for non-participants, of course!), etc. For the record, we are being paid very well, invited to eat, and only have to play two 75-minutes sets. They also told us that they want a lot of dance music, no ballads, pretty much all high energy.

Of course, some of my musician friends have recommended that we learn Ravels Bolero or that I play that dissonant piano line from the movie Eyes Wide Shut. Another buddy asked if we needed an extra roadie. So if anyone has ever played for this level of depravity (or not), please chime in!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love swing dancing! Oh wait, that's not what you meant . . .

Do you have time to learn new material, or are you basically picking from your repertoire? No ballads makes sense, but 100% high energy dance music doesn't make sense either.

I've been around some freaky stuff since moving to the Bay Area (though sadly, not in the last several years). But as the band, I don't think it really matters what's going on around you.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Moonglow, You remember my vocalist (the 103rd street gig, you may have brought Linda).

He had a regular first Sat of the month gig dj'ing a swingers party. As he told us a number of times "it aint what you think; its worse than a nude beach: the people you want to see naked are nowhere to be found, and those that are naked make you wish they were nowhere to be found." (my words but his sentiment) It paid well, but he said he earned it. No, he never.....um.....crowd surfed for lack of a better term. ;)

I'm also sorry to say that my pal died 2 months ago. RIP A.N.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I played some goth / alternative / fetish clubs such as Torture Garden a few years back, with the Texas Chainsaw Orchestra. All sorts going on around the place but without fail all very polite and safe environments, where the artists were treated with respect.

I'll take that any day over the boozed up coked up random pub crowd

Remember - you can make a record without an organ on it, but it won't be as good

www.robpoyton.co.uk

You know, I was just saying to my wife this morning how I need to find some different kinds of venues for our band. Definitely sounds like a fun variation on the usual theme of "disinterested bar patrons and a handful of the same friends who are also musicians." At least you know they're there to have a good time...

Tony, so sorry to hear about your friend.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Played a student party years ago. Stuff happened there that wouldn't be allowed in today's more enlightened times. One girl was tricked into stripping (she thought she couldn't be seen) and ended up in tears.

Glad to say the band wasn't in any way involved in the event beyond simply playing.

Cheers, Mike.

Just note: your average person does not look that great naked. Trust me...unless this party is being hosted by Emily Ratajkowski and friends, you might be wishing to unsee a lot of what you may observe...

Just do the chant with the synth pads underneath :)

Auov uad auon acnurop ias iicinecu ertac iulunmod asiz...

Aiutseca iulusacal iulutnafs ia irotacafenib is irotiulim irotanihcni.

Uezenmud iul rolibor roletacap aeratrei is aerasal aeratecrec aeriutnam aetatanas aecap ataiv alim urtnep magur en as iulunmod.

Auov uad auon acnurop ias iicinecu ertac iulunmod asiz...

[video:youtube]

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

"it aint what you think; its worse than a nude beach: the people you want to see naked are nowhere to be found, and those that are naked make you wish they were nowhere to be found."

This is generally true of these kinds of organized events. Unless craggy, wrinkled buttocks (can I say that here?) are your thing, your imagination will be far better than the reality. Fun for the participants, not so much for spectators. I hope your party is the exception to the rule, but more likely you'll want to wear blinders and just focus on the music.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

From what I understand, everything is consent-only. They find it very uncool for people to not respect each other's boundaries, whatever they may be, and boundaries can vary from person to person. Everyone is expected to adhere strictly to that. IOW, you don't have anything to worry about in that regard, unless you want to. :D

And the "dissonant piano line" is Musica Ricercata by Gyorgy Ligeti. It's a very interesting piece performed in and of itself. We saw Roman Rabinovich play it as part of his performance and it was really impressive and cool.

[video:youtube]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

For whatever reason, I've actually now done a couple of these events. At one, basically nothing happens where the band is, so it's just pudgy old folks dancing in too few clothes, and then retiring to another area for the traditional airing of grievances.

At another, no such retiring took place. Grievances were aired in the open.

Kinda fun. Definitely "real" body types on display, but some were not offensive to the cultured eye. Just one more example of how music has provided some of my most memorable stories and experiences.

I did not air any grievances of my own. Even if I had wanted to, the contract was explicit in prohibiting it.

Enjoy it, and remember (for real) that whatever goes on around us, we are professionals, hired to do a professional job, and we must never devalue that job or our employer just because of... well, available "grievances."

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

....Enjoy it, and remember (for real) that whatever goes on around us, we are professionals, hired to do a professional job, and we must never devalue that job or our employer just because of... well, available "grievances."

...MoI is definitely not a rock star incognito.

the traditional airing of grievances.

Grievances were aired in the open.

I did not air any grievances of my own.

available "grievances."

I wasn't going to ask, but it's bugging me so I will.

WTF does this use of airing one's grievances mean? Is it a euphemism for whipping out your junk?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Well, no, but yes, but no. It was a Seinfeld quote. It was used literally on the show. I am using it here euphemistically, yes, but to refer to sex, not just junk-outpulling.

You can tell it was hilarious of me, because all the best jokes require explaining afterward.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

From what I understand, everything is consent-only.
Joe would know....

and now we now how the forum breaks. Joe is "airing his grievances" ;)

:cough:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Just note: your average person does not look that great naked. Trust me...unless this party is being hosted by Emily Ratajkowski and friends, you might be wishing to unsee a lot of what you may observe...

This is where my mind went too. It may take a herculean effort of will to refrain from laughter.

Hey thanks for all the input and humor, gang! I knew you would not disappoint. Another musician friend recommended that we play Hit Me With Your Best Shot although I think he knows we do that song.

My wife and I went to Negril, Jamaica several years ago and our resort happened to be next door to, and shared an adjacent beach with, a Hedonism resort. So some of that population was occasionally within eyeshot, especially when they drifted over toward our resort. I do recall my expectations exceeding reality...

T, so sorry to hear about Angel, he had a great voice and seemed like a good guy.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw