Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music Sampling & Copyright Law In 15 Minutes - Abid Hussain

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes?

I can tell you in 10 seconds.

Settled legal precedent: If you use any samples that are not free of copyright in a commercial work for sale, GET CLEARANCE FROM THE COPYRIGHT OWNER(S). NO EXCEPTIONS.

Do NOT assume that the original is so obscure that the copyright owner won't discover it. It WILL be found, and you WILL NOT like the restitution that is demanded from the owner.

Mick & Keith agree to have Ashcroft of the Verve receive all future royalties for Bitter Sweet Symphony. The Rolling Stoners will allow their names to be removed from the writing credits as Ashcroft receives an Ivor Novello award for outstanding contribution to British music. In a statement he said:

This remarkable and life-affirming turn of events was made possible by a kind and magnanimous gesture from Mick and Keith, who have also agreed that they are happy for the writing credit to exclude their names and all their royalties derived from the song they will now pass to me.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/may/23/bitter-sweet-symphony-royalties-richard-ashcroft-verve-royalties-novello

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Good, I'm glad. Wanna know why? I frakkin' hate BSS and love the Stones, so I hated having their name on it! :roll:

I've always wondered if it was really ABK behind this and him making the dough. ABKCO was the one who filed the suit and I don't know what money Jagger/Richards get from those songs. If I was right, they didn't have anything to give back, but I guess I wasn't. :idk: I mean, I really :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI