Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What mixers are you guys running live?

I want to mix a Nord 5d, Legend Solo, and a Yamaha reface CP. Mostly bar venues. Occasionally, a festival.

Would one of those little behringer euro xenyx 802 or 1202 does the trick?

Any other recommendations?

If I went, key largo, which I probably won't, is it bad to use the 1/4 in monitors outs to run to the main board instead of the xlr? I don't know much about sound, but it seems most guys use those simple DI boxes

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Yamaha Yamaha MG06 which has 3 stereo ins. It's $100 so you really can't go wrong. I've had a couple of small behringers in the past and didn't have any issues with them. What I use mostly is a Keith McMillan K Mix. (I'm running a rig that's both hardware and software based so it would probably be overkill in your situation.) It's a digital mixer/audio interface/control surface. I'm running my Macbook w/88 key controller, my Nord5D, and my iPad for synth lead sounds. Very cool, but on the coslty side if you don't need so many bells and whistles.
Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

I want to mix a Nord 5d, Legend Solo, and a Yamaha reface CP. Mostly bar venues. Occasionally, a festival.

Any other recommendations?

If I went, key largo, which I probably won't, is it bad to use the 1/4 in monitors outs to run to the main board instead of the xlr? I don't know much about sound, but it seems most guys use those simple DI boxes

I use a KL for my NE4d, bass guitar, and a reface CP. instead of using the xlr outputs to my K12.2s I use the monitor outs with TRS cables. I havent noticed any degradation in sound, and the Electro really benefits from the KLs output boost. Plus, I can park it on the right side of the panel making it easily accessible.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I don't need to submix my keys, as I do it all in the Kronos using the inputs. However, I am a fan of the Yamaha MG series - I do have the little 10 channel that I've used for small solo/duo stuff when I need to mix maybe keys, guitar, and a couple vocals.

I would still always use a DI, however - whether built-in, such as the Key Largo, or separate. Not just for the balanced XLR signal, but for isolation and ground loops.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I have an Alto L6 which is NLA. Accomodates TRS inputs. Send mains to my powered speaker and the Aux Send to the FOH. My backup is a Rolls MX28

My next choice would be an Alto ZMX862. It is one of the few mixers that has independent "gain" control on the 1/4" channels. I've twice had to use my mixer when our house mixer went down; two channels on the L6 have XLR the other two channels I had to use XLR to 1/4" converters but the L6 doesn't have the gains on the 1/4" channels, so the input is low. With the ZMX862 the gain controls on the 1/4" allows me (with the XLR to 1/4" converters) to use 4 mics inputs in the case of an emergency where the house mixer goes down.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I currently don't need to submix as my nord electro 6 can do it via the monitor in, for one other keyboard in mono....which is me :)

When I was doing it, I used several different things, but most of my gigs have been with a Soundcraft Notepad. I needed (at the time) not only a submixer but something that could also act as a monitor mixer, which meant having pre-fader sends. That narrowed the field a LOT. If not for that, I'd use my small Rolls mixer--though I have to say that until I bought a better power supply for it, it was too noisy to use live.

I don't believe they make the Notepad model I use anymore, but it sounded fine, no noise. One thing I didn't like about it was it has a wall wart.

I think if I needed a new mixer I'd strongly consider either a Samson line mixer (if I wanted to use a rack) or a Key Largo di/mixer.

You shouldn't be running unbalanced 1/4" cables to a sound board unless it's fairly close to you. Any decent sound company will supply DI boxes to connect you to a house sound system. All these small ~$100 mixers have their pros & cons but should do the job. Some might have XLR outs, or balanced (TRS) 1/4" outs which means a long cable run to a house system is technically doable but a DI is much preferred for isolation and a lift in case of a ground loop. It's not a bad idea to invest in a stereo DI box for gigs where the sound situation is sketchy. I occasionally carry my cheapo Samson stereo DI (~$40) for this purpose, it does the job I know Radial is the industry standard but I'm not a sound co. using it full-time and tossing it into accessory cases and around a stage.

If using the Key Largo, you should run the XLR outputs to the house PA. These outputs are isolated with transformers to help reduce hum, ground loops, etc.
DISCLAIMER - professionally affiliated with Fulcrum Acoustic www.fulcrum-acoustic.com

The newer Behringer Xenyx analog mixers are quite a bit better (in both component and sound) than their older stuff, and will definitely do the trick if that's the way you want to go with this. But I'd pay attention to what the guys who are doing festivals recommend if you are doing that sort of thing.

If you do go Key Largo, it is the mixer and a high quality DI in one unit. The XLR outputs are transformer isolated, as a DI is, so you definitely want to use those XLR outputs to feed FOH. The house engineers will be perfectly happy not having to bring you a DI, and the Radial transformers are going to be better quality than most of the house DI's you will encounter at bars.

If you don't need EQ, the Key Largo sounds head and shoulders better than anything I've heard in the price range. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Trusty old Roland M-160s (4U), Rolls RM-203 and MAM 12-2 ( each 1U), Ashly MX508 (3U), Mackie 1604 VLZ (w/ rackmount kit) or S|C SCOPE DSP based mixers on XITE-1 (1U) w/ AD/DA converters (1U each) connected.

Except the Mackie 1604 VLZ, I have ´em all and basic pre-wired in different racks, so I can swap rackmount tonegenerator modules on demand and plug in quickly.

Now I want a small desktop type one I can put in a bag and move easy into different rooms, basement, jams etc. ...

The Mackie 1202 VLZ4 catched my eye since I recognized the balanced XLR main-outs on the rear are switchable between +4dB and mic-level.

A.C.

It depends on what form factor the player wants and the number of busses the player needs. Enough mixers are clean enough. I prefer rack mount because a rack saves a lot of time and gives the whole rig a simple plug and go setup. I'm using a Samson SM10. It's cheap and it works. Lots of channels and 2 full busses.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Aside from having nice preamp characteristics and very clean boost or gain staging, the Key Largo is a great tool for both bars and festivals, as both often have separate electrical circuitry for stage and FOH sound booth; having iosolated XLR outs for the FOH feed plus two separate ground lifts solves those problems.

It will serve all the functions you need and simplify your setup by being an all-in-one solution. So you can buy one thing with assurance that you'll be happy with its durability (power supply is its only vulnerable component) and sound quality and be done.

Kawai KG-2D / Yamaha CP33 S90ES MX49 CP4 P515 / Hammond SK1 / NS3 88 / NS3Compact

QSC K8.2s K10.2s KSubs / SoundcraftUi24 / SSv3 / GK MB112 MB115 MB210 Neo410

All my devices are line level & MIDI controlled. My master MIDI controller configures MIDI volume of everything. Since I don't need any adjustments during the show, I just use multiple chained Rane SM82 line mixers, set the channel levels once, and forget about it. I have a "calibration" configuration in the MIDI controller that I use for tuning and verifying reference volume.

My Focusrite 18i20 interface can also be sued as a standalone mixer.

I use that, since it's already in the rack.

I used a Behringer XR-12 for years of trouble free use before I went to Mainstage/GigPerformer.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

for my band PA I used a Behringer XR18 - 3 monitors each with own mix .. 4 vox FOH, guitar FOH, sax FOH , keys (stereo) FOH .. and bass and kick when needed - run it from a laptop near me

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

I used a Behringer 502 for years to mix my keyboards on gigs. No problems. The thing went from the gig to my car trunk. Made no effort to hide it from the cold or heat.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

I recently switched from a Motion Sound KP200S to using a Radial Key Largo mixer with two Yamaha DXR10's powered speakers. The Key Largo is smaller form factor with high quality audio. The keys never sounded better. Don
Yamaha MOXF8, MOXF6, Radial Key Largo, Yamaha DXR 10's

I recently switched from a Motion Sound KP200S to using a Radial Key Largo mixer with two Yamaha DXR10's powered speakers. The Key Largo is smaller form factor with high quality audio. The keys never sounded better. Don
Yamaha MOXF8, MOXF6, Radial Key Largo, Yamaha DXR 10's

Although it's a little overkill for what I need, I've just upgraded to the Key Largo's big brother, the KL-8. Haven't done a gig with it yet but excited to try it out :thu:

Mixers are relatively cheap, but there are a lot of options, while manyissues and specs aren't clear or even given. For instance using a stage mixer for keys probably, but not necessarily, is analog. Suppose a OA system mixes digital what happens if your key mixer is also digital..

Adding the keyboard together is something else than expectig to make a sound with a mixer. Whereas mixing as general term often includes even more of an activity and probably effect equipment added to the console. Having channel strips wit eq, possibly parametric eq, or even individual or sub mix compression/limiting, and at least a post aux send for monitoring may be very practical for live sound.

T

I submix three stereo keyboards (PC3, PX-5S, AX-Edge) into a Behringer XR-12, sending the combined mix out as LR channels that go into my band's X32 Rack. Generally, it's set-and-forget with the XR-12; I have its input and output levels preset.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361