Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboardists, if you could do things again...

... it would have been nice if I had some wealth, and owned homes in Paris, Monte Carlo, , Maui, Florence and Amalfi.
Two homes in Italy? Don't you think that's overdoing it?

you are right, it is excessive. The wife prefers Florence and I prefer Amalfi. So the compromise is both.

Imaginary life can be tough.

Imaginary life with 2 wives would be tough.

I can only manage 1 home and 1 wife.

[video:youtube]

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy lots more Apple stock when it was $10 and even $40 a share.

(I did buy some back then as a "token" of supporting a company I believed in, and it astounds me what it's worth now)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Buy lots more Apple stock when it was $10 and even $40 a share.

(I did buy some back then as a "token" of supporting a company I believed in, and it astounds me what it's worth now)

not exactly on topic, and I am not much for individual stocks. But I like S&P index funds as corporate America is all about quarterly profits. Which the index generally follows.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Dear Phil,

Note to past self:

Do NOT sell your Juno-106.

Do NOT sell your Rhodes 88.

Go meet and hang out with the Roots. They're opening for your band, after all.

Love,

Phil

+1 on the Juno 106. I had a mint condition model which I bought in 1990 for £130.

It was a nice synth, but I was craving a keyboard with real sounds, so kept trading in the Juno/JX/juno60 analogs, until I got a U20 - I had arrived lol!

Ive made lots of bizarre decisions and it would be really easy to beat myself up over them, and I have done at times.

Ultimately though, its important not to have regrets because we dont live life and make decisions in hindsight. Every decision I made in my life had some rhyme and reason to it at the time, even if some of those decisions look daft today.

What lessons can I draw from my past for today, and for going forward?

Thats the question I think.

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

[video:youtube]
One of my favorite movie lines. I use it all the time, especially when it comes to playing music.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

As they say, hindsight is 20-20. But the fact is the family I grew up in had more influence on what I ended up doing for a career than me. My parents had me take music lessons when I was young, but it was with a teacher that was not qualified to teach on a instrument I did not like at all.

I decided to go to work in the family small business because when I was going through high school, most academic students wanted to be school teachers and I couldn't wait to graduate and get out. A college degree was not necessary in those days, but I was not planning 40 or 50 years ahead when I got out of high school.

I'm over 70 now and most of the small businesses I grew up around are gone. Its difficult to get any kind of job where I can make a contribution to the company in order to be worth more than a low paying job.

And Finally, I wish I was able to keep ONE of my Oberheims, but the IRS had other ideas. Always pay your taxes on time.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'd listen to other people's blather less and more to my own inner voice. Alan Moore once said "The audience doesn't know what it needs. if it did, it would be the artist." I know who my "betters" are and that's never been an issue; its all been *training*. I've always been oddly ahead somehow, because I recognized that key module early on. Doug Stanhope once said "You know you have a problem when your therapist tells you that the voices in your head are not only real, they're ACCURATE!" I don't have to outdo anyone else; I only have to outdo myself. Imagine the world of music, even the world entire, if only more people could make that huge, simple leap.

:keys::cheers:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese