Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard this album the first time this week:

[video:youtube]

Charlie Mariano: Helen 12 Trees, recorded 1976. What a freaking great band on this, post-Mahavishnu and Pre-Miami Vice Jan Hammer on Rhodes and Minimoog, Jack Bruce on bass(!) and Soft Machine's John Marshall on drums. Being a huge fan of both Hammer and Bruce, I'm kinda amazed I'd never heard this album until now. It's pretty ripping jazz-rock with a bit of Indian Classsical influence. Great stuff!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

This is EXQUISITE stuff. A friend of mine who has been composition studying with Florian Ross turned me on to him a couple of years ago. Even if you want to skip the promo videos, please don't miss the Opening Chorale video. In some of his electric stuff, FR arranged music that combines EP and synth with rhythm section, clarinet and pedal steel - a brilliant combination!

Damn, that is exquisite indeed, the clarinet/pedal steel frontline is just brilliant! Thanks for sharing this!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

My listening goes all over the place so over the last day or two...

Brad Mehldau solo album Elegiac Cycle.

Watched Joe Zawinul DVD 75.

Some classical piano Yuja Wang playing Bartok and another with a percussion ensemble.

Last night was checking out some Fred Hersch.

Just picked Stefon Harris CD Blackout and want to spend some time listening to that.

Been into Sergio's stuff from the '80s lately. What great arrangements!

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Been listening to the Cars. I really liked that group during the late seventies and eighties. I tried to get a glimpse of Greg Hawkes changing KB rig on MTV videos back then, he switched out a lot of gear.

Here's their 2018 RR Hall of fame induction. Of course, one missing original member that passed away. Ben Orr, he died at age 53.

Mole T

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Most of Brad Mehldau's new album "Finding Gabriel" is up on Youtube and have been listening to a lot of the tracks. Not you usually Mehldau fair, but still interesting lots of synth, voices, and indie sounding to me (hey I'm an old guy I don't know the right genre to label it). I find it very interesting.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Alabama 3 (or A3 in the US) Exile on Coldharbour Lane is a remarkable audio journey. Country Acid House is how they describe their music and this cut shows all those flavors. The lyrics reference the 808, 303, and sweet 909. The Sopranos "Woke Up This Morning" is on this album as is a great John Prine cover, "Speed of the Sound of Loneliness." I just read that their lead singer and co-founder, Jake Black a.k.a The Very Reverend D. Wayne Love, passed today. Now he don't dans 2 tekno anymore. Godspeed, Reverend.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Tower of Power Soul Side Of Town. So much more like the old stuff. Soul with a Capitol S!!!!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I've been getting back into a blues thing lately.

Jimmie Vaughan - Baby, Please Come Home

Joanne Shaw Taylor - Reckless Heart

Kara Grainger - Living With Your Ghost

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My all time Favorite Group, Steely Dan performing at their Rock' n Roll Hall of fame induction. If you look closely at the left side of the stage, you will see Paul Shaffer playing a Kurweil synth that is sitting on top of a B3.

Walter Becker, RIP. What a great musician and composer. Gone Too Soon.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Elephant9: Psychedelic Backfire I & II

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo6xFSqzZ2c

I know I've raved about these guys here before. This week, they released 2 double lp live sets, one with the core trio, one with frequent collaborator Reine Fiske on guitar. Norwegian prog at its finest! If anyone can tell me how Stale Storlokken gets his organ tone, warm, fuzzed-out, but still articulate, I'd love to know.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

A very tasteful, touching cover of a Tom Waits song by Rachael Price:

A lot of young pop singers could learn from her restraint.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Jon Anderson - 1000 Hands... so much better than the current YES "cover band" ... (and the recent ARW tour was incredible as well)

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)